LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 02-01-2003, 12:14 AM   #1
ru28up
New User

Post luger mauser info

I have recently been given a luger by my grandfather taken off of an officer by his brother in WW2. where can I get it appraised my email is hkris3212@aol.com. I am having a hard time paying my way through college and really don't want to sell it but i don't have many options. all serial number match on all piece's of the gun and it has a holster there is also little tiny eagle on the gun i could really use some help on some on who is not going to take advantage of me.
thank you

Kris
ru28up is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2003, 07:06 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts
Kris, I hate for you to get rid of a family piece!

But, understand the realities of life.

To give you a good value, can you tell us any markings on the gun?

Proofs? (see on your left under tech information if you came through www.lugerforum.com) Tell us what and where proofs and markings are located.

There are forms in this section, where you can print out and then write down pertinent information.

What serial number is on the gun? To include any letters next to or under the serial number?

What year or letters are stamped on the top of the receiver?

What initials or letters are on the toggle?

Can you provide pictures, to include side, top, etc?

All of this infomration can give you a rough estimate. If messed with, i.e. re-blued, pitted, mismatched parts (which does occur even from guns brought straight back from germany), all drop the price, sometimes to shooter prices, approx., $500. A rare Luger could be worth $3000, but most likely, it is worth $800 - $1200, but further info and pictures are needed.

ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2003, 01:58 AM   #3
Marvin
User

Hello All,

Wow, it sure has been a long time since I posted on the Forum, but working 7 days a week is tough and leaves only time to read MOST of the posting, but not all.

On to the subject at hand; this is not the first time someone, like Kris, who is not a Luger collector, has asked for help for as best of an evaluation as possible. We are all here to assist when we can, but there is also information which is required as Ed has requested from Kris. Since this is a fairly common request, would it be possible to have a written "boiler plate" statement with the info needed to make a determination and can be pasted to a reply posting? This would eliminate rewriting the same info needed each time, and give the person needing the information a full "package" to complete.

This is just a thought I had, and wanted to put out for discussion. I had to do this early before "all heck" breaks loose again for the day.

All you guys take care and I still read the posting when I can.

Marvin
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2003, 02:03 AM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Good to hear from you Marvin...

You are quite right that the process of notification to new users who are not really Luger people to gather the information that the forum needs to give them the best opinion. Let me give it some thought this week and I will try to come up with an easer procedure than cut and paste... anyone else who has an idea in this area is welcome to send it to me via private message.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2003, 10:05 AM   #5
Heydrich
Banned

I hope this guy doesn't have the same problem one guy had over in the 98k forum. One of the members there posted today that he had a friend come by his house with a "9MM Luger" that he had been told his grandfather took off a dead german soldier (edit by admin-js). He showed up with a Ruger .22 pistol. Then, he wouldn't believe a word that he had made a mistaken ID. Right now, he probably still thinks he has a German WW2 Luger. I sure bet he has trouble loading 9mm ammo though.
Heydrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2003, 10:09 AM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts
Marvin, that info above that I have, is saved in a word document, can easily post it for others?

And any other information that should be added, well, heck, e-mail me with questions and I'll add it!

Hey Marvin, I have your e-mail wrong, tried to send you a picture or two and they came back and also, always good to "hear" your voice.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote