LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-22-2003, 10:49 PM   #1
guess1
User

Post What do I have here?

I got this byf '41 from my mother-in-law (executor of estate of my wife's deceased gun collector cousin). All parts are stamped with the last 2 digits of serial #, even the grips (inside), except magazine. The holster appears to be a repro, but for $300 for the gun & holster, who cares? Anyway, as a newbie here, I'd appreciate any info anyone can furnish on this gun. Pics below.

Thanks,
Jeff

http://boards.rennlist.com/lfupload/lugerright.JPG

http://boards.rennlist.com/lfupload/left.jpg

http://boards.rennlist.com/lfupload/top.JPG

http://boards.rennlist.com/lfupload/leftrear.JPG

http://boards.rennlist.com/lfupload/frontright.JPG
Unread 03-23-2003, 12:01 AM   #2

You did great at that price. The collectors will help you out on value, I am a shooter. Around here, a shooter in that condition would be worth at least $600.
Unread 03-23-2003, 08:39 AM   #3
guess1
User

Thanks Al. I'm sure I got a good deal on the Luger, along with several other pistols and rifles that were in the collection. The family member who owned these was a class 3 dealer, and had many guns in his collection. I have not shot the Luger yet, as I would like to know more about it first, and which ammo to use so that I do not cause any damage to the gun. Thanks again for the response.

Jeff
Unread 03-23-2003, 11:57 PM   #4

Come on collectors, help him out on value. Many of us like the Wallmart bulk pack Winchester 9 mm ammo at $10.75 per hundred. Works fine in my 3 Lugers and S&W 3914. Also quite accurate in the Lugers. I have had trouble with other ammo.
Unread 03-24-2003, 12:57 AM   #5
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
OK, here goes.

Jeff,

Long-distance assessment of a Luger's value is a very difficult and chancy thing. Your photographs a litle bit dark to truly show the amount of wear on your pistol, however, hints are that this may be a pretty good one. More evenly lit, better detailed shots will help. Your pictures do show enough to tell that a reblue is unlikely.

Your Luger is a byf 41, that is, a Luger manufacturd by Mauser in 1941. The serial number on the front of the frame should have a script letter underneath it, this is the serial number suffix and is properly part of the number. It may not have the letter, this is also proper, and in itself is an indicator.

Of the three marks on the right receiver of the gun, two of them will be stylized Eagles over a number. Both numbers being 655 is the most commonly expected pairing; two 135s are uncommon, and one of each is rare. This has an effect on your gun's value.

The nature of the magazine base shows that it is not proper for your Luger. I expect that it is formed, crimped sheet metal, either nickel-plated or blued, with numbers stamped into the base. The proper magazine for your gun is extruded steel with an aluminum base pinned through its center.

Have you taken the gun clear down to make sure that all interior parts are matching, including the firing pin?

I will give you a non-binding, completely off-the-wall -guess-, that your Luger might easily be worth more than $700. You got a good buy.

Value of such a gun depends entirely on maintaining all-matching parts, you may want to find another Luger to shoot.

Nonetheless, I highly recommend shooting a Luger, they are great fun. Al's recommendation of cheapo Wal-Mart 9mm is right-on, I shoot several hundred rounds of this stuff a month with no malfunction. I also find CCI Blazer to be highly reliable.

Luger magazines are 60 years old or more, and can cause misfeeding. You might do well to invest in one or two new-manufactured magazines--I find that Mec-Gar mags work reliably well.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 06:48 PM   #6
guess1
User

Thank you for the info. I need to take some brighter pics with a better camera. According to a military gun collector (neighbor & friend), mine has not been re-blued, it does have the two #655 stamps, the front serial # has a lowercase "s" under it, and the magazine does have a serial # on it, but it's 9451, not 9352 as on the rest of the gun. The base also has a lower case "i", a "+" mark, and an Eagle with the #63 under it (very small). We will be taking the gun down to assess the rest of the numbers, and I plan to put several rounds through it this Wednesday.
again, thanks for any and all info.

Regards,

Jeff