LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 04-08-2020, 12:25 AM   #1
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,325 Posts
Wink NY State of Mind: Corona Pistol Purchases

There may be other members here who live in NY State. But something tells me that if there are, none have had a similar experience to mine over the past couple of weeks because we'd have heard about it by now!

Last month, a couple of nice, low bids paid off for me at online auctions. (Actually, at this point, I don't think there's any other kind, although some tout previews of lots on site with an appointment.)

First, an example of the newest small-frame Llamas--now being made in the Philippines on CNC machines instead of a factory in Spain. They are offered as a blow-back .380 They've been reviewed fairly favorably, similar to Armscor's Rock Island "Baby Rock," as functioning well on lots of different ammo, and satisfactorily accurate. They also have nice, big modern sights, white dots and all, which is something the old-time variations from the original manufacturer always lacked. They have a basic matte finish, nothing to write home about.

Next adoptee is a Chiappa 1911-22 in great shape for under $200. These are full-sized semi-autos, although lighter due to the aluminum slide the .22 lr needs. Less than half the price of a .22 lr1911 conversion kit...

It is the policy of the Schuyler County Clerk's Office that firearms owners are provided a "seed" purchase coupon. I think that in all other counties in the state, you proceed next to the Clerk after you've decided on a gun, to obtain a coupon that is in turn given to the dealer in order to unlock the background check and the transfer after you've returned with it. The spare coupon Saves a trip back to the dealer, and allows you to undergo the vetting and have the gun transferred to you right after you've paid for it. Your receipt takes the place of its actual addition to the permit until you register it at the Clerk's office. Since I had to pick up two guns, I needed to have two purchase coupons when I did (do), which necessitated a single trip to the clerk beforehand, to preregister both, and to get two coupons, which would net me the usual spare after the transfers.

In the meantime, the clerk's office closes to all but emergencies. Easy enough, I found, to accomplish by mail in the time before the second pistol arrives. I got the pair added to my permit card no problem, but the clerk--who's currently working the office by herself--forgot to include the coupons. OK, they should arrive tomorrow.

I was wondering why I hadn't heard from the auction house, as it was approaching the 14-day max time the literature said it might take to ship lots. An email to them revealed that they had the wrong FFL associated with my purchase, They said they'd been trying to get ahold of me to clear it up, but no email, phone call, or voice mail had ever arrived. I think it's the same auction house who'd screwed up before by sending my gun to the FFL of another buyer with a similar name! But ultimately no biggie, and it was shipped Monday--and they acquiesced to my request for a refund of shipping charges.

Up until this week, my dealer had been willing to do the transfer--observing virus-mitigating protocol. He had also asked that I show up at 8 A.M. because the chances of avoiding an hour on hold with NICS were best. Any later in the day, and the California stores would be opening and adding traffic to the system commensurate with the current buying panic.

The end of the saga for now happened yesterday, when my dealer said he wouldn't be allowed to do it after all, now that the official "lock-down" has tightened and gun dealers, unfortunately, aren't considered "essential" by the state, which would ultimately find out if he'd been open by their end of the info associated with the background check. He related one tale of someone who'd gotten fined, and I'd heard of another that received a letter to cease and desist during the crisis. Bummer. Now we have to wait until this blows over to get my new children in-hand.

Sort of related is that I was able to buy a box of .45 Colt today from another dealer about a block North of Gunblack, where I'd been able to leave some parts to be blued in a container that I put inside their vestibule as I waved to Steve, the owner, through the window. I called ahead to the gun shop to see if he was open, told him what I wanted, and he provided sanitary curb service--I never left the car. I think my other dealer would have done the same. He did say that people could pick up long guns because their processing doesn't undergo the same scrutiny.
Unread 04-08-2020, 08:21 AM   #2
4 Scale
User

That is a really interesting story, thanks for taking the time to write such an informative post.

Here in Colorado we have background checks. Normally these are done while you wait at the FFL. Right now the wait time is several days due to backlog.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2020, 08:22 AM   #3
Heinz
User

Ithaca, thanks for iterating your troubles. You have more patience than I.

Currently here in SC gun stores are still considered "essential" Glad I moved South. [Gas yesterday was %1.35 a gallon]
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

Sorry about that Dave, while not "essential" I know you want your new children at home.

Unfortunate and un-reasonable that one states "essential" can be another states political agenda.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 04-08-2020, 10:47 AM   #5
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,200 Posts

Since the police shut down all permit administration we cannot buy, sell or change anything on our gun permits here...

Bought an air pistol out of boredom.
Diana LP2 based on the Mauser 1934 pistol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200408_164636.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	79403  

Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 04-08-2020, 12:01 PM   #6
Heinz
User

That is kind of a cool air pistol. Is it Co2 powered or air/spring?
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2020, 04:08 PM   #7
Patronen
User

I haven't been around to any shops in awhile, figured they were all closed now.
Unread 04-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #8
hayhugh
User

Quote:
I haven't been around to any shops in awhile, figured they were all closed now.
Only the ones which sold out their entire inventory since the virus hit town.
hayhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2020, 05:22 PM   #9
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
That is kind of a cool air pistol. Is it Co2 powered or air/spring?
Spring/piston. The barrel extension is pushed in, the pellet loaded from behind.
The following 3 members says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 04-08-2020, 05:57 PM   #10
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

I am not sure what our dealers are doing or if 'essential' as all 'new' purchases have to go through a dealer now (C&R excepted) - so I had to go through a dealer for a Henry rifle I bought and my CMP 1911a1 - but otherwise they come to the house. Right now, not sure what local dealers are told to do?

North 40 is a hardware / country store and they have a nice selection of rifles and pistols and they are still open, although locked down. If I was buying something new, I'd go to them.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 04-08-2020, 10:39 PM   #11
gunnertwo
User

David,

Very sorry to hear the tail of woe you must endure in your state. The bureaucratic nightmare that is NY is crushing to the soul. It is plainly a violation of the 2nd Amendment. Here in Idaho, stores are considered essential and are open with social distancing practiced. We are on a 30 day self quarantine that should be lifted on the 15th. Part of my reason in moving here from Oregon was due to the onerous laws that will beset my former state. Guns are very protected here under the Idaho Constitution. Gun shows are prevalent and FTF sales do not require government intervention. The state does not charge for background checks. Since being here I've found a dealer that charges $25 for transfers. There is a 6% sales tax but my property tax went from $5600 to about 3K. We jokingly said we were downsizing but ended up with a house of 3000 sqft. I live next to a lake and in the evenings we hear the ducks and geese. Coyotes howl along with the hoot of owls. We love it here. Building is booming and several new communities are forming around us. Each has walkways, parks, playgrounds and some community pools. Should you consider a relocation it's worth the visit to Idaho.

G2
gunnertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2020, 09:47 AM   #12
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I was recently told that the local gun stores are pretty much empty, sold out the concealable guns and their ammo. Is that so where you reside?
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2020, 10:39 AM   #13
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

David, get in touch with the NYSRPA and tell them about your experience with the dealer refusing to open because of New York State's decision not to declare gun stores "essential".

This is in direct contravention to the executive order (Revised 328) by President Trump which does declare gun stores "Essential".

When North Carolina and several lower level governments here were reminded of the Federal order's revision, they quietly dropped their opposition and allowed stores across the state to open.

I expect that not to do so is an unconstitutional infringement and would be found as such in Federal court. Your NYSRPA may be contemplating a lawsuit and you personally would have standing.

At GRNC, we engaged with GOA nationally to prepare for the lawsuits if needed. Contact me if you'd like background.
Unread 04-09-2020, 02:59 PM   #14
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlim View Post
Spring/piston. The barrel extension is pushed in, the pellet loaded from behind.
I had a very similar pistol as a kid, me and my cousin bought one ea COD from a mail order company without our parent's knowledge. Or maybe I should say "prior knowledge", they learned about it soon enough when bullet holes started appearing in various items around the house.

Anyway: I don't believe it's an actual air pistol, at least ours weren't. You pushed the barrel back until it locked and put a bullet in from the rear, like you describe. Pulling the trigger released the barrel, which flew forward and kinda threw the bullet out by sheer inertia. The reason I remember this is that I used it as an excuse when my parents asked why the %&*#@ I ordered an air gun: "No, it's not an air gun at all, technically speaking..."
Unread 04-09-2020, 03:03 PM   #15
gunnertwo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
I was recently told that the local gun stores are pretty much empty, sold out the concealable guns and their ammo. Is that so where you reside?
dju
David,

I live in Nampa. The stores I frequent are low in inventory with guns in the $500 and lower pricing. Ammo is available for the most part. This is Idaho and folks here already have multiple guns and a good supply of ammo. The new here are seeing how different the process is in obtaining guns (specially when coming from California).

G2
gunnertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to gunnertwo for your post:
Unread 04-10-2020, 02:43 PM   #16
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,325 Posts

Today's update from my dealer:
Quote:
Based on updated “essential business” guidance issued by the state this morning, it appears that the sole proprietor exemption to essential business designation has been scrubbed from the state website.

Because of this I am ceasing all routine operations until the emergency orders currently in effect from the state are lifted and routine commercial operations can resume.
Looks like the practice of curbside ammo purchase is history now, too. I think the ban lifts around the end of this month, but wouldn't be surprised if it's extended.

On a personal level, these postponed transfers don't present a literal life-or-death level of hardship. On the other hand, the potential of this virus to kill people is well-demonstrated. I feel flexible enough to curtail any face-to-face activity whenever possible--not only because I'm within a demographic that is statistically more vulnerable to it, but also because such behavior is necessary to protect others who are even more at risk, should the virus latch onto them. I'm OK with not shouting "Fire!" in crowded venues (well, unless there is an actual fire), so I'm able to give this temporary inconvenience a pass. Playing with my new toys can wait, and in the meantime, I'll follow the latest best guidelines for mitigating the spread. I have plenty of other guns and ammo on hand to lessen the sting until effective treatment and/or vaccine are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle View Post
I had a very similar pistol as a kid, me and my cousin bought one ea COD from a mail order company without our parent's knowledge. Or maybe I should say "prior knowledge", they learned about it soon enough when bullet holes started appearing in various items around the house.
A friend gifted me his childhood 'Kruger" pistol a few years ago. Technically, it's a "firearm" because it propels a cal .12 projectile by means of an explosion. I guess the Kruger slipped through a crack in the BATFE!
Unread 04-10-2020, 03:05 PM   #17
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Here all the gunshops have been temporarily closed from the 9th of March least until the 4th of May, since are listed among the non essential shops.
Unread 04-15-2020, 10:12 AM   #18
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

At least I got my Diana LP2 in the mail today.

All permit work is still suspended …
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200415_153036_copy_1024x714.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	79471  

Name:	20200415_153404_copy_1024x664.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	79472  

The following member says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 04-17-2020, 06:58 AM   #19
jamese
User

Just glad I live in a state that believes the 2nd amendment is essential.

The problem is you have all of those other unconstitutional hoops you have to jump through for a normal firearm purchase. No one in the bureaucratic quagmire knows how to navigate system in times of a "EMERGENCY" so just shut the system down and label it "non-essential"
There has been a few other constitutional rights ruled "non-essential" as well in other states where people want to protest.

This is only a small taste of what it would be like if certain political entitys got into power.
Welcome to Venezuela
sorry for my rant