LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 11-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #1
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts
Default Is the SOS S-O-L?

Social Justice Warriors at work.

https://wfpl.org/after-racist-mercha...tricter-rules/
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to George Anderson for your post:
Unread 11-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #2
calibrator
User

I quit going to gun shows 4-5 yrs ago. We do have the large Cross Roads show here yearly in December with the Small Arms Review contingent in their own building.

Used to always see an old boy with 3-4 tables that had nothing but WW II German stuff, original and repro. Didn't see him the last few shows I did attend. He was old enough to be ready for his next big adventure. I don't re-call this being a BIG deal, just part of the reality of the Gun Show Culture, along with beef jerky and cheap jewelry. But this was before the 8 yrs of ... , and the country's new focus on History.

I prefer being treated like an adult, and not have the nasty real world censored to protect the feelings of a few.
calibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to calibrator for your post:
Unread 11-07-2018, 01:33 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

I have to agree with the above - to censure historical items seems very un-American. I don't collect (xxxx fill in your pet peeve) but to limit it is stupid. E-bay limits gun items, and flags, but you can still buy black americana, to include slave items. WTH? Besides nasty things I would never even go look at or buy...
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 11-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
Lyn Islaub
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Calibrator,
You were probably referring to Dieter, who always had a lot of WW2 memorabilia, authentic and not, at the PHX shows. Dieter passed on a couple of years ago to my understanding. The 3-day PHX Show (Crossroads/SAR) at the end of this month is the only gun show in PHX worth attending anymore. I have 2 tables in what is referred to as the machine gun building (SAR) and there are always Lugers to buy and sell in that building. I'll have half a dozen myself to part with.
Lyn
Lyn Islaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
MikeP
User

Gun shows stopped being cool over 40 years ago. Still something to do if one chooses.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to MikeP for your post:
Unread 11-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #6
Jasta2
User

I just hope one of the extremist does not get a picture of a Nazi proof mark on a Luger or Mauser !!

As for Ebay no longer selling guns, I was told that the Gunbroker site was created by Ebay after they quit auctioning guns. As I recall back then. The Gunbroker site ( I do not think it was Auction Arms) was set up exactly like eBay's auction listings. I know it bears no resemblance to Ebay now.
As for gun shows in general, the last one I attended here in Lakeland, if you removed all the AR-15s and their accessories, there would only be about 25% of the show left.

Just found this posting https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...8103615AAjU7ln
Jasta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2018, 11:05 AM   #7
calibrator
User

Jasta2

Lakeland Fla, isn't that the town were the recent school shooting took place ? It seems to have become a hotbed for budding SJWs. Too many ??? surrounding what is really going on in that jurisdiction.

You ARE right about the Nazi proof marks on Lugers. All it will take is one SJW "reporter" to notice, and all Luger collectors will be demonized as "glorifying Nazi-ism", guilty of exercising their "White Privilege" by buying and owning such expensive firearms that the average "Minority" person cannot afford to own. As such they will he called "Racist", "anti-Semitic", ... etc. Isn't this the tactic that the SJWs employ these days ??? Look at how the state flags of Mississippi and Georgia were vilified and forced to change due to pressure, as well as ALL the statues of Confederate War Heros being destroyed and removed.

Just as every State has a State Flower, State Bird, ... etc, there are things that instantly bring to mind (at least to me) a certain image. For America, it is either the Colt SSA, or the 1911. For Britain it is the .303 Enfield. For WWII Germany it is the Luger.

I came here nearly 10 yrs ago to celebrate my new passion for owning examples of the exquisitely designed Luger. I had 7 in my collection at it's zenith. I now own 2, a 1913 DWM and a 1918 LP08 rig. I try to take every opportunity to make people aware of how close we actually are to losing our rights to own firearms these days, that's why I take the time to make these posts (as well as keep my mind and typing skills sharp ).

Please be aware of how your in-action to become socially active will ultimately affect your freedoms (especially younger people). I'm old enough (65) to have seen the Golden Years of the '50s, and I'm now seeing what appears to be the death of that Dream, so from that perspective it's been a great adventure. I hope I don't see another Civil War before I'm gone (?).
The following 4 members says Thank You to calibrator for your post:
Unread 11-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #8
Jasta2
User

I'm 68, and remember the good times, and bad times, of the 50's and 60's. The best anyone can do is support organizations like the NRA, of which I disagree on a few issues, and get out and vote. I'm from Virginia My great, great, maybe 3 greats, grandfather fought for the south. Was wounded and captured at Gettysburg. In the family burial plot at the old farm house, there is a monument to him put there by the Daughters of the Confederacy. It would be very unpleasant outcome for anyone to come on the farm and try to remove that!
The mass shooting was not in Lakeland.
Unread 11-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #9
Jasta2
User

There is a huge demand for original black memorabilia out there. Original items from the past are getting quite costly, you would be surprised at some prices it brings. The collectors are not only white, but many blacks also. This is a reply to Ed's post. History is history. Nothing anyone can do will erase it.
The following member says Thank You to Jasta2 for your post:
Unread 11-08-2018, 12:49 PM   #10
HerrKaiser
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasta2 View Post
There is a huge demand for original black memorabilia out there. Original items from the past are getting quite costly, you would be surprised at some prices it brings. The collectors are not only white, but many blacks also. This is a reply to Ed's post. History is history. Nothing anyone can do will erase it.
It may be true that history cannot be erased. But from my experiences so far at college for the last 5 years they are trying like hell to suppress it as best they can when it doesn’t fit their worldview or agenda. We are even having these types of discussions in our history department of how to save history from being suppressed now that “postmodernist” thoughts are gaining steam. (what does that even mean? Modern is defined as “now” so postmodern is what, future thought?)

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to HerrKaiser for your post:
Unread 11-08-2018, 05:50 PM   #11
calibrator
User

While history is not currently being re-written, it certainly is being massaged into fitting agendas, or is being purposely glossed-over as an inconvenient truth to certain ideology. Even 15-20 yrs ago I used to enjoy asking High School aged kids I would meet if they knew who America fought during WWII. Most (slightly more than 1/2) would say Germany, but were incredulous when I stated that we also fought Japan simultaneously. There was an alarming amount that had no idea who we fought against. Japan was often viewed as a "victim of the War" from their studies because of the Nukes that were used by the US to end the War.

I recommend viewing Oliver Stone's "The Untold History Of The United States", it has been a eye-opener for me, has been vetted for accuracy, and is available for free if you get Netflix.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Un..._United_States
The following 2 members says Thank You to calibrator for your post:
Unread 11-08-2018, 05:58 PM   #12
HerrKaiser
User

Calibrator,

I watched the Oliver Stone series and was very impressed by the work he did in there. As for the who did we fight part, I remember watching some Canadian skit where they asked some college student what they thought about the CUURENT state of Germany with Hitler in power. They interviewed a college student of some kind and he started speaking about how he opposed some of Hitler's policies but saw them as the bastion of the current EU....utterly clueless about who he actually was. I wish I had seen it in a place where I could have kept the URL instead of seeing it through a social media platform.

The following 4 members says Thank You to HerrKaiser for your post:
Unread 12-28-2018, 03:48 PM   #13
Diver6106
User

Not to be political, but... I WILL NOT give up gun shows, museums, statuary art, or other historical points of reference to those who wish to sanitize out the bad to make them politically correct - as time changes. The ability to see, touch and own history and collect other views is a freedom I enjoy as my right to "pursuit of happiness." And individuals or groups that attempt this, are akin to Al Qaeda destroying world heritage sites.
Diver6106 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to Diver6106 for your post:
Unread 12-28-2018, 05:29 PM   #14
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

And so it continues...https://www.newsadvance.com/news/tre...ly%20Headlines
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2018, 06:43 PM   #15
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

The Untold History Of The United States~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZBRcdy7ndI
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #16
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Part 2~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO45...UGX-jGMzlQ_nvP
Unread 12-28-2018, 09:25 PM   #17
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrKaiser View Post
Eric, while a very fascinating and excellent series (fully available on Netflix to those who have a subscription to it), I don’t know how relevant to the topic thread it is.
it was brought up in post 11 and post 12 ??
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2018, 09:38 PM   #18
HerrKaiser
User

Apologies, has been a long time since this thread has been revisited. Will remove comment.

Unread 12-29-2018, 09:07 AM   #19
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,594 Times in 931 Posts

Back in the 1970's when I was an antique dealer in NY, I attended an auction at a famous Manhattan gallery. Most of the attendees were fellow dealers who I knew well. Among the items for sale were some from the descendants of the doctor who had attended Napoleon when he died in exile on St. Helena in 1821. As I recall, there were a pair of silver mounted hairbrushes with the Napoleonic monogram, some campaign utensils similarly marked, and a silver casket which the auction house described, with great delicacy, as containing Napoleon's appendage. (If you think I'm kidding look it up on Wikipedia). Apparently the doctor had preserved the item as a keepsake. I don't know what it looked like in life, but 150 years after death it had shriveled down to the size of a cashew nut.
Bidding was brisk on the first two lots but when the casket came up for sale a hush descended on the room and we were all looking around to see who would bid on the item. Despite several attempts by the auctioneer to get the bidding started, no-one raised a hand and the item went unsold.
I think collecting Hitleriana is like that, no-one wants to be known as "the guy who bought Napoleon's appendage".
Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 12-29-2018, 05:59 PM   #20
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I thought a direct link world be more convenient!
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post: