LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 05-25-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
martowski
User

Default First Luger: 1916/1920 DWM

Hey all,

Long time shooter and C&R holder here, but first time P.08 owner! I just picked this up and am hoping some of you experts can verify my understanding of what I have and add any extra insight (or correct me if I'm wrong).

From my understanding, this is a 1916 DWM that was reissued in 1920, likely to a police unit. There are no other markings on the gun, no unit markings on the front strap or back strap of the grip. I'm not sure if the proof marks on the upper are all original from the factory of if some were added at a later time (?).

The magazine is not original to the pistol, and looks like a Nazi era magazine but not sure.

External numbers appear to match and it appears to have the original finish from what I can tell. Witness mark on barrel and receiver seem to line up from what I can see, and numbers match as well.

Came with a fairly generic looking holster, guessing this was some commercial holster someone picked up for it.

Anyway, curious what insight ya'll can add to help me understand what I have here? Thanks!

martowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to martowski for your post:
Unread 05-25-2018, 04:04 PM   #2
HerrKaiser
User

You are correct in your assessment that this was a WW1 gun that was reworked and re issued in the Weimar forces. The holster is in fact a commercial holster but looks like a US commercially produced holster. It is also a Nazi magazine, they switched to aluminum based mags in the early 30’s but it has the Nazi stamp from the look of it. It’s also a spare mag for whatever gun it originally belonged to as evidenced by the plus on it. The bad news, from the pictures I see, it’s looks as if it has some shallow pitting all over the gun. This reduces it to shooter status despite its all matching numbers on the gun. That said, welcome to the forum! Enjoy your new purchase, these guys have lots of info on here to soak up, I still am!

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is online now   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to HerrKaiser for your post:
Unread 05-25-2018, 04:29 PM   #3
beachbaker
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

It appears the take down lever is from an Erfurt.
Unread 05-25-2018, 06:17 PM   #4
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martowski View Post
From my understanding, this is a 1916 DWM that was reissued in 1920, likely to a police unit.
I don't see either of the more obvious police modifications; what makes you think this Luger was issued to a 'police unit'???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 05-26-2018, 03:02 AM   #5
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbaker View Post
It appears the take down lever is from an Erfurt.
I have a 1917 DWM that is also property-stamped 1920. the re-work on mine was more extensive because it left the factory as an Artillery model. Along with at least one new 100 mm bbl, mine was also given an Erfurt proofed takedown lever.

If I'm not mistaken, remaining Erfurt parts were used in many of the re-dos of the Wiemar era.
Unread 05-26-2018, 08:34 AM   #6
4 Scale
User

For me, the shallow pitting, non-matching takedown lever and magazine would not, in my collection, relegate it to shooter status. The pistol makes a handsome presentation and while the photos are not definitive I'd guess original finish. Are there other flaws? I appreciate we all reach our own decisions on what is collectible or not and respect that others may differ.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2018, 10:59 AM   #7
HerrKaiser
User

While I completely understand what you are saying about what others find collectible and agree 100%, I’m talking resale value. The pitting will make it difficult should he wish to sell it as a collectors item down the road.

Unread 05-26-2018, 12:16 PM   #8
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

So what do you all make of the Erfurt takedown lever? The number matches and it doesn't look restamped. A blank Erfurt part installed and then numbered?
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2018, 12:57 PM   #9
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,531 Times in 943 Posts

I think just luck someone found the right number to replace it. Even if from an Erfurt. Bill
Unread 05-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #10
martowski
User

Wow, thanks for the responses everyone!

As for the reason I thought it might be a police reissue, there is no reason other than my lack of knowledge. Would this most likely have been a military reissue?

Also, how are you able to tell it's an Erfurt takedown lever? Would it have been common practice to mix parts during reissue and restamp to match?

This is my first P.08. I've had a C&R for 20 years, but have stuck to old bolt rifles prior to this. I bought this to have as a shooter and to enjoy owning one of the finest and most historically significant firearms designs in history. With that said, I am curious what monetary value you would place on this.

Thanks again.
Unread 05-26-2018, 05:11 PM   #11
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

It is an Erfurt lever by the stamp next to the number. Erfurt stamped just about everything...
Definitely reissued to someone under the Weimar regime, that is apparent by the 1920 property mark (NOT a date stamp). Just where within the govt. it went is anybody's guess. It lacks several police safety mods, so that suggests non-police use.
Its value is whatever someone wants to pay for it, but if you want a WAG let's say around $1000. That is more than the collectors here would pay but may be pretty close to gun show pricing. $800 for a quicker sale.
Thanks for sharing, and stick around. You may feel the urge to buy another because no one can own just one.
dju
Unread 05-26-2018, 09:05 PM   #12
martowski
User

Thank You! Dumb question, when you say 1920 property mark are you referring to the dare on the receiver or something else?

I less than $1,000, everything I see out there seems to be selling for a minimum of $1,000.
Unread 05-26-2018, 09:11 PM   #13
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

There is a shooter for sale on the trader now, for $850 including shipping.
Unread 05-26-2018, 09:12 PM   #14
HerrKaiser
User

After WW1 the Versailles treaty made the German Army go from wartime levels down to only 100,000. They had issues with troops taking home their pistols and other weapons instead of turning them back in to the army depots. In conjunction with the Weimar government essentially outlawing most civilian gun ownership, the army started to make a property date on their pistols that they retained into use. This also helped identify anyone who illegally kept an army property pistol.

Unread 05-26-2018, 11:15 PM   #15
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

So as HerrKaiser stated, the "1920"is not a date, but a marking designating government ownership.
dju
Unread 05-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #16
martowski
User

Once again, thank you for all the insight!