LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 08-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #1
boogieman
User

Default Help me buy 1st Luger

I have been lingering and asking some questions for a while. I have been shopping around and havent found what I am looking for yet. I am now at the point that I need to fill a permit (nj thing) within the next 30 days. So I am asking for some help.
My ideal would be a WWII matching number gun that has been refinished. I would also consider a non matching number. My budget is really in the $1000+- But, im willing to spend a little more on something that presents very well. I plan to shoot this gun at the range so no need to have a pristine, matching gun. Actually I prefer not to risk destroying something that could potentially have value. I do want a good bore and a smooth action.
please feel free to post or pm me some links or offer anything that may fit the bill that you have in your collection. A appreciate any help and or suggestions.
boogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I'd move or re-post this to the WANTED section below in order to get more attention.
Good luck!
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2015, 11:22 AM   #3
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

John

First of all welcome to this Forum of Luger enthusiasts.
In these cases I always advise to get a nice, 1942 P.08, even a Russian capture, mismatching but still in a good condition, as I would never shoot a matching collectible gun.
Avoid unknown reloads or commercial equivalents as I know that there is some of the worst ammo out there when it comes to quality control, in any case old guns should never be fired with modern high speed and high power ammunition because they may be structurally unsound.
Shoot safe.
My 2 cents

Sergio
Unread 08-18-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
lfid
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

boogleman,
you might do well to consider offering by GT at
http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=34650

this idea would get you to a very nice shooter solution - and GT is good guy !

probably want to discuss with him and also verify custom barrel is ok with your state laws

good luck in quest
Bill
lfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
boogieman
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfid View Post
boogleman,
you might do well to consider offering by GT at
http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=34650

this idea would get you to a very nice shooter solution - and GT is good guy !

probably want to discuss with him and also verify custom barrel is ok with your state laws

good luck in quest
Bill
Thanks Bill. But not exactly sure what you are directing me toward. That link is offering up a modified barrel for those that have a Luger. I sadly do not have a luger.
Unread 08-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #6
boogieman
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luger.parabellum View Post
John

In these cases I always advise to get a nice, 1942 P.08, even a Russian capture, mismatching but still in a good condition, as I would never shoot a matching collectible gun.
My 2 cents

Sergio
This is exactly what I am trying to find. I have followed all the links on the forum for lugers, I have been watching gunbroker as well as some other places. Not easy to find a refinish or non matching luger at a reasonable price. I dont mind spending $1500 if I have to. But, I will not spend that much on a mismatch
Unread 08-18-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
Sergio Natali
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
This is exactly what I am trying to find. I have followed all the links on the forum for lugers, I have been watching gunbroker as well as some other places. Not easy to find a refinish or non matching luger at a reasonable price. I dont mind spending $1500 if I have to. But, I will not spend that much on a mismatch
Don't be in a hurry, check also this site, sometimes members have Lugers for sale, and remember that it's best to ask questions before you buy anything.
In the meantime try to learn as much as possible from books and also from this site. The Luger has always been an amazing gun, its history and genious design are probably like no other firearm in the world. Try to strip one down and you'll immediately understand what I mean.

Rgds

Sergio
Unread 08-18-2015, 05:42 PM   #8
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Sergio,

His dilemma is that he lives in the state of New Jersey, where one has to apply for a permit to purchase a pistol. These permits are only open for a certain number of days, (I think 90?) and then expire. They are issued by the requestor's local police department AT THEIR DISCRETION and are not always easy to get. Permits that are issued and never used do not amuse the police and may affect the request for a new one. Thus boogieman's urgency in finding a proper pistol soon.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2015, 06:34 PM   #9
Zorba
User

Have you looked at Legacy and Simpson?

Legacy is a bit low on Lugers *today*, but Simpson has several in your price range *today*. Both are good folks to deal with from *my* experience.
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2015, 06:43 PM   #10
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Also Checkpoint Charlie or MisterLuger may be able to fill the bill.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2015, 02:48 AM   #11
Sergio Natali
User

Doug

Here in Europe people think that in the USA anybody can go to the nearest gunshop down the road and buy a gun... I didn't even know about the existence of those restrictions, here in Italy they are very strict but if you are allowed a Gun Licence - not that easy to get at all I got mine at the age of 26 now I'm 60 :-( - you can buy 3 "ordinary" firearms, plus another 6 of them belonging to a list of "sportive" ones, plus an almost illimitate number of "hunting rifles".
If you want to start a "collection" you must apply for a Lifetime Collection Licence, but the guns you collect cannot be taken to the range.
The difference between an ordinary gun and a sportive one? Well like the ones that I've got for instance the Kimber Gold Match is a sportive firearm, while the Wilson Combat CQB is an ordinary gun that belongs to the first category of 3 guns.
That's the way the cookies crumbles...

Best regards

Sergio
Unread 08-19-2015, 03:07 AM   #12
lfid
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
Thanks Bill. But not exactly sure what you are directing me toward. That link is offering up a modified barrel for those that have a Luger. I sadly do not have a luger.
Hi boogieman,
I just wanted to make you aware of the idea to contact member G.T. and discuss the option of a sport target luger and costs / schedules

perhaps he might have / could source a complete donor luger or perhaps you could source a complete lower asy and have him add/test function with his complete upper offering, and come close to your $1500 limit - esp since mismatched parts may be acceptable

otherwise the other members have all offered good ideas

most lugers are sold with non-firing inspection including those called "shooters"

good luck in the quest !
thanks
Bill
lfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2015, 07:27 AM   #13
boogieman
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
Sergio,

His dilemma is that he lives in the state of New Jersey, where one has to apply for a permit to purchase a pistol. These permits are only open for a certain number of days, (I think 90?) and then expire. They are issued by the requestor's local police department AT THEIR DISCRETION and are not always easy to get. Permits that are issued and never used do not amuse the police and may affect the request for a new one. Thus boogieman's urgency in finding a proper pistol soon.
Exactly. There are plenty of ways around our restrictive laws, but I have nearly exhausted them by procrastinating over some fair deels looking for "that deal" that excites me. Im sure all of you come across a gun that makes your wallet open.
I picked up 3 permits last time I applied. They are good for 90 days. The catch is that you can only buy 1 handgun per 30 day period. I bought 2 (1903 Colt and a M1911a1) prior to getting permits and held them at the LGS. I can apply for extensions on the permits during the last day. However the PD has to approve it that day. In many municipalities this is not a problem. For some reason my municipality of 1700 people (historically a farm town) is very slow to approve permits. Most of the time its not a big deal in NJ (2 weeks to 30 days) to get permits and go buy as you please. If you have a PD that is not a fan of 2a then it can take months. Also NJ does not recognize C&R FFL, historic and even BB guns are still firearms. Body armor, mace, stun guns are also illegal. NJ believes that by limiting the law abiding citizens right to defend themselves, they will reduce crime.
So I have up to about 45 days if I stretch it to get a handgun to my LGS for purchase.
I will check into the other leeds offered up in this thread. Worst case scenario I will use this permit on something else and wait until I can apply for another round of permits.
Unread 08-19-2015, 08:05 AM   #14
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luger.parabellum View Post
Doug

Here in Europe people think that in the USA anybody can go to the nearest gunshop down the road and buy a gun... I didn't even know about the existence of those restrictions, here in Italy they are very strict but if you are allowed a Gun Licence - not that easy to get at all I got mine at the age of 26 now I'm 60 :-( - you can buy 3 "ordinary" firearms, plus another 6 of them belonging to a list of "sportive" ones, plus an almost illimitate number of "hunting rifles".
If you want to start a "collection" you must apply for a Lifetime Collection Licence, but the guns you collect cannot be taken to the range.
The difference between an ordinary gun and a sportive one? Well like the ones that I've got for instance the Kimber Gold Match is a sportive firearm, while the Wilson Combat CQB is an ordinary gun that belongs to the first category of 3 guns.
That's the way the cookies crumbles...

Best regards

Sergio
I understand your confusion, Sergio. Here in the US, firearms restrictions vary from state to state and even city to city. Generally the further north, the worse the restrictions. While you can walk through the door and generally purchase a shotgun or rifle, (NOT evil assault rifles!) in New Jersey. Each pistol purchase requires a permit issued by local law enforcement. It is up to them whether you get it or not. Rural communities are easier than say, a city like Newark. You may never be issued a permit, if there is something they don't like about your background and there is very little you can do about it.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 08-19-2015, 09:29 AM   #15
boogieman
User

I checked out Misterluger and checkpointcharlie. Both have a couple that may work out. I bid on a non matching rig yesterday. If I dont win I will likely be contacting one of the 2 places.

Update: I let the auction go at $1181.00, bidding was at $1206 last I checked. IMO thats to much to pay for a mismatched gun. Actually $1181 was to much, but I got caught up in the bidding.

Last edited by boogieman; 08-19-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Unread 08-23-2015, 07:59 AM   #16
1994Stoeger
User

PM sent.
1994Stoeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #17
4 Scale
User

John welcome and I can sympathize. I am a new collector and have purchased three Mauser Lugers in the last 9 months (they are like potato chips, very hard to stop at one). One is a true 'shooter' (mismatch). In getting the three I spent a lot of time looking and at this moment feel like I know your gun type/market pretty well.

The pistol you seek can be had at $900 to about $1,500 depending on where you find it, finish and parts matching or not. The best buys are generally from private collectors you meet on the forum or in your town. Gun shows, local dealers, auctions like GB and then the internet retailers like Simpsons, Legacy all have shooters from time to time but it's sort of a screwy, relatively small market in terms of guns coming up for sale. That's why so many advise patience, which I agree with. If you are in a hurry you run the risk of paying more. I absolutely see people buy shooters on both ends of the quoted spectrum and everywhere in between.

But like I say it is a funny market. Eight months ago I decided to take the plunge and buy a WWII era Luger. I went to a local gun show, stopped at the first table with a Luger and found a nice 1939 with a good bore, decent finish and a mismatched hold open and firing pin, offered at $1,050. I bet I could have got it for a bit less, but passed because I "knew" it was not wise to buy the first one I looked at. I lost the deal by waiting, and it would have been a wonderful shooter that fit the bill perfect. So, you never know. Set out with patience but hope for some luck I suppose.

Hope this helps. Good deals on Lugers are where you find them, and if you look they will come along. Be sure and tell us how your search ends up.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2015, 10:05 PM   #18
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
... Generally the further north, the worse the restrictions. .
true and I would say EAST - down south and back west it is much easier.

Check the ones above, also, email Legacy, they will sometimes have items they do not list or put on gunbroker.

Checkpoint charlie is very reasonable and a good guy.

However, a cheaper gun does not make it always a good shooter. As said above, a DDR (east german) would be a very good choice and about that price.

ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote