LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 06-12-2015, 12:33 PM   #1
siegersallee
User

Default Discussion Question: Books for Collectors

Greetings All,

Discussion question: for Luger Collectors which of these two is preferred, or are both preferred, and why?

What are other suggestions and why: please provide a links to recommendations in your responses.

1. Luger Tips by Michael Reese.

2. Standard Catelog of Luger by Aarron Davis.

The Amazon price listing for the Standard Catelog of Luger is absurd; it may still be for sale for ~$30 at: Davis Militaria.
I have sent him email to inquire if it is still available.

I have the latest edition of Borchardt & Luger Automatic Pistols by Gortz and Surgess. (The link goes straight to SimpsonLTD; however, I have seen this book set on Ebay.)

Richard
Unread 06-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,508 Times in 2,082 Posts

neither
http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=15470

Go to New Collectors area and look at the stickies...

RECOMMENDATIONS

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=6937
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2015, 11:27 PM   #3
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,327 Posts

They are important for another reason. They may be out-dated and contain some incorrect information while lacking other information, but they illustrate the state of the body of Luger knowledge at the times they were written. I think it's important to have them as a perspective on the evolution of Luger collecting.

The Parabellum pistol has been and continues to be the passion of many--From Georg L. to the next guy/gal who joins either forum. We neophytes, it could be argued, have gained more understanding--and faster--than our veterans and leaders in this collecting field, who had to do it all the hard way with phone calls and letters, gun shows, film pictures, and, as Eric points out, hours of working over hard-copy in libraries and archives, or wherever information and data surface. I'd credit both forums, the internet, and our contemporary authors--who are able to put together the best-researched books ever, combined with the up-and-coming enthusiasm, all of which make this passion the best it can be.
Unread 06-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #4
siegersallee
User

ithacaartist, you make a number of good points.

I agree that we benefit from the *hard research* that took place in the previous 50 years and as such we should be careful of totally trashing it; but, we remain mindful that it is dated.

Collectors and researchers used to have to build up social networks of like-minded souls to compare notes with and share knowledge using phone, snail mail, and personal interaction.

For the most part there was no electronic media, no email, no forums, no Google.

One advantage that collectors in middle part of the last century did have was cost.

Luger prices in the 50s-80s seem bargain basement compared to today (I am trying to factor in inflation) and the size of collections reflects that.

Collections started in 2000 may have 30 - 100 pistols whereas many of the collections that were begun in the 70's and before are in the thousands.

In part this is just a factor of more time-to-acquire; but, the cost factor must be considered as well.

The larger a collection, the more Lugers one has to review in comfort and leisure.
Today, when I see an interesting Luger it is usually being offered for sale and I have a limited amount of time to dissect it and take note of everything that may affect its collectiblity in trying to make a purchase decision.

Since I am not a walking encyclopedia of luger, I have to study my references, do careful comparisons, contact more knowledgeable sources and this takes time.

Yes, I can see your points entirely.
Unread 06-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #5
siegersallee
User

Ed,

I read Dwight's review and thought it in depth, detailed, complete, and factual.
I "thanked" him for it.

The level of knowledge and attention to detail of folks on this board is incredible.

I wonder if Davis, Resse, or Kenyon, ever drop by the forum to update their material?