LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 10-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,441 Times in 2,329 Posts
Default Melvin Tyler's T-Grip Adapters

Anyone reading a gun magazine or SGN back in the 70's (and earlier) knows Melvin's ads for his revolver grip adapters. A small aluminum piece that fit between the trigger guard and gripframe. My first revolver (IIRC) was a S&W Model 19 nickel plated 2 1/2" barreled round-butt .357. Adjustable rear sight, heavily checker-cut trigger & hammer. It was big, not really concealable. And it had considerable recoil. Uncomfortable to shoot.

Back then, you communicated by letter or phone. I had noticed Melvin Tyler's adapters, so I ordered one. Very nicely made; polished cast aluminum. Had a small "U" shaped clip that fit between the two stock wood grips. I was concerned about the adapter slipping, so I drilled & tapped both the adapter and the gripframe for a screw, and I dispensed with the "U" clip.

Tyler had a picture on his adapter boxes of a S&W revolver with his adapter, which I liked. A week or so ago, I had the chance to purchase a S&W Model 15 blued 2" barreled square-butt 38 Spl revolver. I have two other Model 15's with different barrel lengths and fit with S&W's 'target' grips. (I also carried a S&W 4" 38 Spl Model 14 [identical to the 15] in the AF Reserve). I still had some of Tyler's grip adapters from 'the old days', so I fit it with one.

Much better grip, for me. In the past, I've tried Pachmayr, Hogue, and similar rubber and wood grips, but never liked any of them. Tyler's grip adapter has always been the best grip for me.

While fitting the adapter to my Model 15, I did a Google Search for Melvin Tyler T-Grips Adapters and was surprised to find that the company was still in business.

http://www.t-grips.com/

I had read some time back that Melvin had passed away. There's not much on the site as to the company's origins. Melvin & his wife did all the order-taking & shipping. He always included a small slip of paper with biblical scripture on it.

The pic below shows my two 'snub' revolvers, both with the polished aluminum adapters. They were/are also available in satin finish, as well as shiny anodized black and satin black.

There was at least one competitor with a similar adapter in plastic; cheaper, and not as comfortable. IIRC, it moved around too much. I trashed it eventually.

I've ordered a couple more, and I'll be screwing the latest adapter to my 2" Model 15 later this month.

It's nice to see that the company has survived. Quality product, niche market. Very nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T-grip_2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	43571  

Name:	T-grip_4.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	43572  

Last edited by sheepherder; 10-04-2014 at 12:56 PM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 10-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
GySgt1811
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanks, Sheep, for doing the leg work.

I've wanted one for my 4' model 27, S&W, but, when I looked on the web site a year or so ago it was written in such a way as to make me wonder if it was still a going concern after the death of Mr. Tyler. It seemed as if there was some sort of inheritance controversy involved. Or, at least, it looked that way to me. Glad to hear the Tyler grip is still available. I'll order one.

Gunny John
GySgt1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt1811 View Post
Glad to hear the Tyler grip is still available.
John, I'm not sure if they are or not. The web site was updated on Sept 29th 2014, so I'm hoping they are fulfilling orders. I've read that the reorganization was a disaster, and they were out of business for a while but were back in business as late as 2013...

BK makes a plastic copy of Tyler's grips (but with two clips instead of one). They seem to have a good reputation -

www.bkgrips.com

Not as pretty, but should be functional.

Edit: Tyler's now lists a phone number and email address -

TYLER MFG & DIST CO INC
PO BOX 94845
OKLAHOMA CITY, OK 73143

PHONE NUMBER: 405-625-4992
SUMMER- phone hours: M-F 10AM - 5PM CST
tylermfg@gmail.com
Unread 10-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
I've wanted one for my 4' model 27, S&W...
Is that an N frame??? I have a model 25 [N frame] but with the target grips...

There is some cross-over in fit between all the 'different' Tyler adaptors...For instance, the 20A-7 adaptor for the Colt Det Spl fits my S&W K frame very nicely...

Tyler originally designed the adaptors to not only fit the curve of the gripstrap but also extand back over the grip very slightly...

I like the thin 20A-7 adaptors on my K frames better than the 20A-3 that are called for...But only if I drill & tap them...They don't 'grip' the wood grips like the 20A-3 does...(They're thinner)...
Unread 10-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,121 Times in 1,432 Posts

I don't know if this company produced a hammer shroud? I have an aluminum shroud on my Colt Cobra..covers the hammer to make it snag free.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
I don't know if this company produced a hammer shroud? I have an aluminum shroud on my Colt Cobra..covers the hammer to make it snag free.
They may have...I'm pretty sure that I got a couple faux Ivory grips from when Melvin still ran the company...I think one set fits the S&W...???...

Do you have a pic of the shroud??? I wonder how hard it would be to make...

here's the faux Ivory grips...they were a nice milky-white when they were new...The instructions said they would yellow with age...I didn't like the yellow...(I made the cutouts for the emblems; they were sold solid)...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	grips.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	43579  

Unread 10-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #7
GySgt1811
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

"Is that an N frame??? I have a model 25 [N frame] but with the target grips..."

Yes, it's the big hog, the "Highway Patrolman." You have a Mod 25!!??! Wow, that's the holy grail for me. I have a 4" Mod 27 'cause I haven't found a 4" Mod 25!

Mine is a square butt; I have both grips for it. The target grips are too big for my wussy hands but it doesn't hurt when I shoot full power loads. The smaller grip feels and carries better (I know, who carries an "N" frame?) but it dang near splits my knuckle with a full pop. The Tyler grip should help with that.

Give your Mod. 25 a big hug and a kiss for me.

Gunny John
GySgt1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
rolandtg
User

The S&W .357 I inherited from my uncle came with a T-grip.
Definitely makes shooting more comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	T_grip.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	43582  

rolandtg is online now   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rolandtg for your post:
Unread 10-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
I have a 4" Mod 27 'cause I haven't found a 4" Mod 25!
Really? There's 2 or 3 4" bbl Mod 25's on GB right now; several 5" bbl's also...Plus the usual 6" and 8 3/8"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandtg View Post
The S&W .357 I inherited from my uncle came with a T-grip.
Definitely makes shooting more comfortable.
Mine still whacks the second knuckle of my middle finger...
Unread 10-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I believe that I purchased my first T-grip adapter in the late 1950s, or early 60s. My brother lived in Okla. City, so we just drove down and purchased it. I currently own at least 5-6 of them(maybe more) and have one on every J frame S&W that I own, and most of the K frames.

The business was a total mess after Mr. Tyler died. The kids really destroyed their father's reputation....which was a good one. My understanding is that one of the kids now runs the business and is trying very hard to get it back to the way it used to be. I have not purchased anything for a number of years, so can't comment.

I also have 2-3 trigger shoes that were made by Tyler. Not only revolvers, but 1911s also.

I really do hope that the son, or whoever is in charge currently, can get things ironed out and running smoothly. I tried the "replica" grip adapter(plastic), and it went into the "round file". When you have had the best, you know what is right and wrong.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #11
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Well, I received my two Tyler T-Grip Adapters in the mail today!

No cute little boxes ( ) but the same high polished finish, copper "U" clip for mounting, and even the same embossed (?) Tyler lettering on the side (maybe it's chemical etching?). They fit perfectly!

You'll notice I ordered the "Colt Old Model made before 1941" model 20A #7 rather than the S&W model. I found out years ago that I liked the fit of the 20A #7 better than their S&W 20A #3 grip adapter for my S&W K-frame revolvers. I usually discard the "U" clip and mount them with a single screw into the front grip strap.

The 20A #3 is wider than the #7, and wraps back farther than the #7. I like the way the #7 is thinner and takes up less room.

Order/check mailed 3 Oct, received 24 Nov. 52 days...Not any kind of record, but welcome regardless!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tyler2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	44114  

Last edited by sheepherder; 11-24-2014 at 07:12 PM.
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 11-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #12
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanks for the followup, and I am glad to see that, though slower than desirable, they/he is making and shipping a quality product. There is no telling how many of Tyler's T-grips have been sold and mounted over the years.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote