LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-02-2002, 11:33 AM   #1
kidvett
User

Default Sear safety

What was the exact function of the sear safety on Police issue LUGERS....This came up last week while talking with a friend about my 42 Banner Eagle L.....Thanks

Unread 04-02-2002, 12:08 PM   #2
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: Sear safety

To prevent firing when the cannon was removed from the frame. As you know, a cartridge left in the chamber can be fired by pressing the front of the sear bar with the top assembly removed from the frame. Apparantly someone didn't think that Policemen were as smart or careful as soldiers; and needed this extra protection from themselves!

Unread 04-02-2002, 01:51 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Sear safety function

The sear safety was designed to assist in the prevention of accidental discharge by a police officer who had stupidly disassembled his Luger without clearing the chamber. The upper half of a Luger is designed in such a way that it can be fired without being attached to the lower frame by depressing the sear bar when the toggle is cocked and a round is in the chamber (DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS!)

The sear is only free to move when the pistol is assembled and the flat steel indicated by the red arrow is resting upon the top of the sideplate.

When the upper half of the Luger is removed from the grip frame (or for that matter when the sideplate is removed) the spring tension of the sear safety inserts a pin into the sear and prevents it's movement.

I hope this explanation and photos are helpful.

regards,

John Sabato

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/SearSafety.jpg
Unread 04-02-2002, 09:48 PM   #4
R. Grady/Roadkill

Default Re: Sear safety function

I learn something everyday. I took the one off my 1918 Erfurt cause it kept coming off. It would be very easy to lose and I'm amazed its not lost already. I was curious as to why it was necessary when the safety worked without it and shoots with the safety off. Thanks! Wasn't it the (here I go again) the Japanese type 94 that could /can be fired by squeezing the sear bar on the left side of the gun? Did you know that you can put a round in a M-60 barrel, put the bolt in, lock it by turning , then hit it with a helmet

and it will shoot?

Roadkill

Unread 04-03-2002, 09:50 AM   #5
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts
Default Re: Sear safety function

Yes, the 94 can be fired by squeezing the sear bar, and the bar is totally exposed, not protected like the Luger! Now if I only had an M60 and a helmet....