LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 01-07-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
RoyalTermite
User

Default C96 shot out barrel

I have a C96 that looks good, functions good but makes beautiful key hole shapes in targets. Barrel has no rifling left. Was considering getting barrel sleeved or bored out to 9mm. Any input welcome.

RoyalTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,429 Posts

For a C96 that has been shot enough to erode all the rifling I would have a good look at the bolt stop.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 12:30 AM   #3
RoyalTermite
User

Already on the hunt for a new bolt stop. Was going to replace anyway. Need to take a closer look at it. I just don't know it is worth repairing the barrel.
RoyalTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 05:04 AM   #4
TheRomanhistorian
User

I just had my shot out Bolo relined to 7.63 Mauser (I can get Fiocchi stuff all day long though at $33 a box of 50 but I also reload). Redman's Rifling and Reboring did mine and I thought he did pretty darn good work (taking my Bolo out this weekend to give her a field test). He only does the resleeving now and no 9mm conversions. I had heard there was another outfit in Florida which does both (Broom Closet?). No contact info for them, though, as Redman is 'local' (in Washington State) and so I thought I'd send it to him since he's only a few hours drive away.

http://www.redmansrifling.com/mauser.htm

He does have a wait time but I sent it it to him in October, he told me (in writing) that he received it and it might be up to 5 months. Well, the barrel extension and bolt showed up last weekend a bit early (though no guarantee that it will happen early for anyone else). For me, it was very hard to see the seam line from the muzzle so I thought he delivered in spades! Very pleased with Mr. Redman's work.

As for the bolt stop; I have bought new ones from KB Tactical Star along with replacement springs. The bolt stops are new production and they seem to have a good supply of other parts, too.

http://www.kbtacticalstar.com/index....roducts_id=133

Hope that helps a little. Nice looking pistol, by the way! I have an M1930 as well which is also shot out but not sure yet I'll send that one in, too. Mine keyholes at 7 yards but not every shot and only with actual 7.63 bullets. It seems to keyhole far far less with .311 and .312 diameter bullets.

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
alvin
User

Reline it or not, it's an easy decision. Just like any other gun, C96 is not even 0.1% more special. Consider this:

(1) The purpose of acquiring it and the cost;
(2) How hard it is to find a replacement gun;

For this one, I guess the answer being obvious. What left is only to whom sending it to get the work done. Closet or Redman.. Both of them work. I heard Redman's average work quality is higher. Closet is more economical.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
saab-bob
User

I had my C96 relined at Redmans. He did a great job.
Mine also had a sewer pipe bore.Although mine is not a Chinese re-import.
Another suggestion is to replace all the springs.
Fun old guns,however.
Bob

Bob