LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 12-22-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
TheRomanhistorian
User

Default Any love for Webleys?

So, inspired by the posts about Broomhandles (I have two) and Nambus...

I do love my Lugers (my first love) but my Webley collection is far more significant (something like 8 Webleys to 4 Lugers) . Here's a Webley Mk I** from WWI (Mk I lower with a 1916 dated Mk VI cylinder and upper and a 6" barrel). She's still in the original .455 with some sort of arsenal black paint.

Fun to shoot and engaging in a homely way.

...and here's my Webley Mk V with 1914 date (sadly the cylinder was faced off for .45 ACP/.45 Auto Rim but I do shoot it with Fiocchi .455 rounds using a headspacing ring I acquired from another Webley fan).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WebleyMkItwostar.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	38776  

Name:	P1010110.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	38777  

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to TheRomanhistorian for your post:
Unread 12-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
Olle
User

Neat! I would love to have a .455 Webley, but it's difficult to find one in original condition. I looked at a modified one as late as yesterday, but it's just not the same.

However, I did find a very nice Enfield No 2 Mk 1 a while back, it's not as cool as the Webley but it will at least keep my need for a British revolver satisfied for now. You just gotta love these guns, they are about as elegant as farm implements with those levers and exposed springs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Enfield No 2 Mk 1 013.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	38778  

Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Olle for your post:
Unread 12-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
regul
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Michael
I have always liked the Webleys also. These are the .22 cal. LR conversions I have picked up over the years. The first three are for the Mk.VI .455 and the other is for the MK.IV .38 .
Thanks
Ed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_0092.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	38779  

regul is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to regul for your post:
Unread 12-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
regul
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Olle
You made me choke on my morning coffee. ''They are about as elegant as farm implements with those levers and exposed springs''. You hit the nail square on the head with that statement.
Ed
regul is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to regul for your post:
Unread 12-23-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
TheRomanhistorian
User

Ed,

I have the single shot and the six shot permanently attached to two of my WWI Webleys. They are fun to shoot! I didn't know they made them for the .38 S&W Mk IV/Enfield.

Olle,

They do have a charm of their own, I think. I don't tend to go past WWI though so not in possession of a an Enfield.

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
Unread 12-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRomanhistorian View Post
Olle,

They do have a charm of their own, I think. I don't tend to go past WWI though so not in possession of a an Enfield.
Absolutely. I love the machine-like looks of these revolvers, kind of like a steam engine or something.

The cylinder release on the Enfield is just a marvel of engineering. Instead of a single screw or a simple, spring loaded button you have to unscrew the bottom lever, turn it to release the upper lever, and then pull the cylinder out. On top of that, it's all mounted to the outside of the gun. I love stuff like that!
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Olle for your post:
Unread 12-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,441 Times in 2,329 Posts

I've been a fan of British firearms since I was about 10 or 11...We went to a department store just before Xmas, and in the basement in a barrel were unaltered Enfield No 1 ["SMLE"] rifles for [IIRC] $10 or @12...My dad bought one...

Part of the fun of these old British firearms is searching out the meaning for the characters on them...Every one has a meaning, however obscure...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
Zorba
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
Part of the fun of these old British firearms is searching out the meaning for the characters on them...Every one has a meaning, however obscure...
Sorta like a Nambu!
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
hansfischer007
User

Smile Webleys & Enfields

My first pistol was a Webley.....38 S&W...marked on the side WAR FINISH...my dad bought it out of the back of a magazine....for $14.00...and that included a holster and 20 Bullets ....and I also faintly remember the Lewis Machine Guns were offered for about $45.00.........this was early 50s ........my first Luger..1918 DWM was $40.00.....they wanted $60 for the Navys and $100 for the Artillery models.....prices were sooooo high ....but now i think I want an old Enfield Revolver.......something else on my want list...MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS....TO THE BEST SITE ON THE INTERNET........Danke ..Hans Fischer
hansfischer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to hansfischer007 for your post:
Unread 12-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
Angus Magnus
User

I have a Mk.VI 1918 in the original .455 although it was refinished at some point. It is quite ungainly but shoots like a dream, not much recoil compared to a .45 Rimfire S&W Model 29 I have.

I would like to point out to anyone who is interested that there is a guy on ebay selling repro lanyard rings. I just ordered one after years of searching, and the price is very decent....

ebay item# 251405257250

Also have a .380 Webley Mk.IV I used to reload. Mild recoil, very accurate, and feels much more ergonomic than the .455, but I still prefer the big one... there's just something about it...
Angus Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Angus Magnus for your post:
Unread 12-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
Shadowsix
User

I love my two! A Webley Mk1 & a Webley RIC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Webley_Mk1_LF_1_v1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	38803  

Name:	Webley_RIC_leftside_1_v1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	38804  

Shadowsix is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Shadowsix for your post:
Unread 12-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
MikeP
User

I like just about any old military piece.
Modern guns never interested me much.
Farm implements greatly interest me.
I grew up with the older generation with all sort of levers and adjustments.
Some modified horse drawn stuff.
Seem to have more Lugers than anything else, though.
Rode the same 65 Panhead for 35 years and restoring another.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to MikeP for your post:
Unread 12-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
TheRomanhistorian
User

I've really enjoyed reading the comments and seeing photos of other Webleys. I do have a Webley semi-auto, too. Still not as fun as the big service revolvers, though! I even found myself a reproduction Prideaux speed loader so I can drop ammunition into my unmodified Webleys.

I just put a Webley Mk I on layaway (my 3rd MK I, though this is one of two shaved for .45 ACP (I reload using Fiocchi .455 brass and fire with these headspace rings)). Whilst I love my .22 single shot and six shot Webley Mk VI revolvers and my regular Mk I, it's the Mk I** and my Webley Mk V which I like shooting the most.

Glad to see so many others share my foibles! It's the exposed springs, levers, and so on that really make the Webley feel stout and it's as shootable/pointable in its own way as the Luger!

That said, I do have a soft spot for this Mk I in my collection with Royal Navy markings and serial number 271 and my first Webley (a Mk VI with single shot .22 LR adapter but it is missing the rear sight). Happy Christmas (from Vancouver airport in Canada).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MkI271.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	38846  

Name:	P1010009.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	38847  

Last edited by TheRomanhistorian; 12-25-2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Added pictures.
The following member says Thank You to TheRomanhistorian for your post: