LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 11-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Blasfimus
User

Default 4.75" Luger?

I have seen a few photos of a 4.75" Luger and see one commemorative movel for 2k in the for sale forum, But i have a very hard time finding a normal model. I feel Like the 4" is just too short and the 6" is borderlining looking silly due to its length. the 4.75 looks like exactly what I want. Is this a rare model? Am I SOL? Im lookin to get one around 1k if possible.

Thanks!
Blasfimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
mystical_tutor
User

Well, let me make sure I am reading you right because "normal model" is kinda hard to nail down.

Many of the early comercial and later contract Lugers were made with 4 3/4" barrel. I have always liked the grace of that model and think it is the best looking. Not a lot of these were made (when compared to the number of 4" 9mm made for the military through the years) and they are, with rare exceptions, all in 7.65. One of the most popular here in the US was the 1906 American Eagle. The 7.65 mm model had the 4 3/4" barrel (and there was a 4" 9mm).

Your rock and hard place is if you just want a shooter like mine (AE 7.65 all matching but putting and wear) which is still worth 6-800 or a representative piece, which you probably won't want to shoot because of it's cost.

If you want a nice one it will be very hard to get it for 1K. I am not real familiar with all the 1970s Mauser Interarms models. The ones I have is a 6" barrel 7.65 and one of those commemratives (Bulgarian) in 7.65 with the 4 3/4", but as you noted it is in the 2-3K range.

Your not SOL but you may have to open your wallet a bit more.
mystical_tutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
Blasfimus
User

I would wager the early 30 luger calibre were practically the only ones in 5" which is alittle saddening. Not that theres anything WRONG with 30 mouser, But I am looking for something I can shoot once and a while like a mag or 2 every couple months for fun. and 9mm would be so much more convenient seeing as id have it on me and it would be oh so much cheaper. I dont do reloading, I dont shoot often enough for it to be worth my efforts. regardless, Its disappointing that the 5" would be the least common of the lengths as it is easilly the best looking. The 6" (to me" looks alittle comical ant the 4" isnt horrible, It just makes it look like a small gun. But I dont mind shooting a gun worth 1000. like I said I dont shoot often, I take good care of my guns and clean them for fun regularly and you can bet If i get it for 1000, It has been shot already, a few more shots here and there arent going to kill the value I wouldnt thing.
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
mystical_tutor
User

Blasfimus; your assessment of shooting .30 is right on target, sad to say. Depending on where you are in Oregon you may have a lot of area to shoot in (I lived there for 6 years--love the cascades...) and 9mm would be the answer for shooting.

I may be wrong but it seems that the last of the 4 3/4" Lugers (except for the new '70s Mausers) was the GNR contract by Mauser in the 30's. Only 564 made so probably not a prime candidate for casual shooting.

The most practical answer IMHO to closely meet your desires would be a '70's Mauser in 9mm with a 6" barrel then have a gunsmith turn the barrel and shorten it to what you like. Not a cheap project but you would end up with a one of a kind built to your specs.

Good luck and the next time your by Smith Rocks look at Monkey Face and wonder how this old fart ever got to the top of it.....LOL.

Gary
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasfimus View Post
I have seen a few photos of a 4.75" Luger and see one commemorative movel for 2k in the for sale forum, But i have a very hard time finding a normal model. I feel Like the 4" is just too short and the 6" is borderlining looking silly due to its length. the 4.75 looks like exactly what I want. Is this a rare model? Am I SOL? Im lookin to get one around 1k if possible.

Thanks!
You might be interested in a Finnish Luger, with the '4.75 inch' Tikkakoski barrel. My pic shows an 'S/42' Mauser w/'4 inch' barrel; Tikkakoski '4.75 inch' barreled action; and a '5 inch' barrel.

Lengths are relative. A '4 inch' Luger barrel is a breech-to-muzzle measurement [including threads portion], with ~3 3/16" actually showing in outer profile (the S/42 below). The Tikkakoski is ~4 3/4" overall length, but only shows ~4" in outer profile.

Edit: There is a Finnish Luger on GB right now. It is overpriced by about $400 but shows the '4.75 inch' 9mm Tikkakoski barrel (2nd pic).

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=374501205
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	barrels.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	37268  

Name:	pix879362219.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	37269  

Last edited by sheepherder; 11-04-2013 at 02:30 PM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Ben M.
User

if you expand your budget a bit more, you might look at this gun:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=374245274
Ben M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Blasfimus
User

I have done some research and have found that yes the Finnish 5" is exactly what I'd like. I saw that one last night on gunbroker and thought it seemed steep compared to others I found already sold in better shape. I have a wtb thread now. Thanks everyone for the info!
Unread 11-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,483 Times in 1,324 Posts

I thought I'd re-post these, from a project which changed from an ugly looking military style 3 3/4", .30 Luger mis-matched barrel to a new, 6" barrel of the 1900, 1906, or Swiss profile, which was created by turning down a standard configuration barrel and milling its barrel band, to create the classic "pencil" taper configuration. I think the pics are self-explanatory. The "before" pic of the barrel was lost, but it basically showed a new, salt blued 6" barrel. Apologies for the phone pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4349.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	37282  

Name:	6 inch right.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	37285  

Attached Images

Unread 11-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
mystical_tutor
User

Wow! Did you do the work on that? It is beautiful.
Unread 11-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #10
Maestro
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystical_tutor View Post
Wow! Did you do the work on that? It is beautiful.

pretty cool
Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #11
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,483 Times in 1,324 Posts

I gave it the finishing touches on my lathe after my machinist friend turned the taper and modified the sight block. I had to remove a tiny "step" along the taper's length and give its surface a nice smooth texture. Then I sent it off with the upper to G.T., who installed it and checked for proper head space. I've installed a correct sight blade since the last pic. Of course, the next can of worms to open for this pistol would be rust bluing... Search for posts by me and you'll find one that gives lots more details about this project. This pistol is now the one I like the most to shoot--the longer barrel has actually improved its function.

My meager collection of shooter Lugers has a variety of barrel lengths. Two are 4", one 4 3/4", two 6", and an 8" artillery model. (Four 9mm. and two 7.65) I think they all have great lines, and all are handsome pistols; I'm not sure I have a favorite length, unless it is the original 4 3/4"--but not by much!