LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-14-2002, 11:16 AM   #1
Jim Van Eldik
User

Default The Luger in Literature, CATCH 22

Happended to be re-reading CATCH 22 (read it the first time in '64 BEFORE I served in the military and found out everything in the book is true) and found a Luger feature. On PP. 232-233 Dobbs proposes shooting COL Cathcart with a Luger Dobbs brought back from Sicily, this in retaliation for Cathcart raising the number of required missions to 60. He seeks Yossarian's endorsement of the idea, to which Yossarian is only luke-warm. It's great to find a Luger involved in a noble cause.

Unread 03-14-2002, 01:18 PM   #2
R. Grady/Roadkill

Default Re: The Luger in Literature, CATCH 22

My best luger and P 38 combat scenes are in the Iron Cross, starts with an assault on a Russian position which the soldier cleans up after the grenade assault with a p38, the luger scene involves a trench shoot out where the Russians over run the german troops. Lt Meyers is using a Luger very effectively until he gets bayoneted. Very realistic combat scenes. I reread catch 22 in the last year, interesting book. Difficult however to put that in a WWII mentality, seems more appropriate to Vietnam.

Roadkill