LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 05-18-2013, 01:45 AM   #1
tnsigger
New User

Default To trade a luger or not ? for a REM.

Got a BYF code 42 Military Luger all matching Sn's and the period correct FXO mags and a nice black made in 43 flap holster with loading tool. A friend wants it bad and has a Remington model 740F premire grade 308 auto rifle that has gold inlay game scenes on it and is heavily ingraved, like new, no box. I can not tell if it has been fired. BB list this rifle NIB 8,000.00 I believe. 98% 6750.00 95% 4150.00 Made in 1959. But I know these rifles have a poor hunting rep. but this one is not per say a hunt model but more a collector piece. Now I know I can always sell this Luger for more than what I got in it, but the Remington's rep is not good, even though she dressed beautiful. I'm afraid I'll have a classy rifle that nobody will pony up the BB value on, even though it is worth more right now than my military luger. Someday down the road for my grandson's college education should I decide to sell. Which will be more sellable do you suppose and worth the most considering my luger is the most encountered model? I almost forgot my Luger rates 95% condition I would say. I've never shot it.
tnsigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
alvin
User

There are exceptions, but gun is not a good investment in general, having inflation risk (long term value 'increase' may not catch inflation), maturity risk (dead money cannot be used waiting a certain date, e.g. kid's college time), and liquidity risk (hard to come does not mean easy to sell). So it's a hobby. Don't trade unless you love the Remington. Just an opinion.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 05-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

IMHO, Blue Book values, ratings, and evaluations as to condition are wildly inaccurate. Luger is a fixture in weapon collecting community, interest grows with each generation. If a Luger is considered an investment, then it can be 'flipped' within days (if not hours) while a Remington 740F is a niche item which could take months to sell. That could be a telling point if your grandson needs that college money quickly.

Remingtons have no 'history'; every Luger has a story. Some just humdrum housewife; others supermodel beauty queen.

OTOH, a Luger is not a Faberge egg. If it means nothing to you, and you like looking at the Remington better, then do the deal.

Like Alvin, my own opinion.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Curly1
User

You would regret the trade down the line IMO.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default I would check forward!

If it were me, I would check with a couple of die hard Remington collectors and find out what the true value is using the GT rule of collectible sales.... "What can I sell it for with one phone call!" After all, when you get rid of the, "want to have" versus the "want to sell" aspect of the deal, we are ultimately just talking dollars and time... It would seem to me you could perhaps double your money, and buy two byf 41's... .. True, On deals like this, you have to swim in a different pond for a'bit, but who knows, you may learn a different stroke! but that's just what I see... best to all, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
kzullick
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

No, never, If I wanted a Remington I would buy one but I would never trade a Luger for one.
kzullick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsigger View Post
Got a BYF code 42 Military Luger all matching Sn's and the period correct FXO mags and a nice black made in 43 flap holster with loading tool....I almost forgot my Luger rates 95% condition I would say. I've never shot it.
Just for curiosity, what does your BB say the Luger is worth??? (Not what GB prices are., or what any similar Luger was appraised at here, but the BB price)...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote