LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 05-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Rvitko
New User

Default Thank you!

I have owned my luger for 12 years. I had long wanted one and finally found a matching numbers 1921 dwm in very good original condition. I have tried off and on to shoot it, it always failed to feed, best I could do was 2 shots before an FTF resulting in one round stuck in the ramp or at 90 degrees. Once a year or so I would get the itch, strip it, exam everything, clean, try grease vs oil, different rounds, nada. Advice I had before I joined here last week was try higher grain bullets, I tried 147 (worst) 135 hollow points (also bad) various brands of 115 and 124 best was 3 cycles. My original mag sucked, some no name blued with a very stiff spring. I tried a new nickel plate mecgar, no improvement, it actually seemed worse as it latched low and had a very soft spring. Tried a Wolff full spring stock, I was consistently getting 2-3 rounds before a FTF. So I got on here and tried polishing the feed ramps, got some fresh 124 grain bullets and saw an article on the one handed ridged locked arm grip. bingo! I got a full clip to go through twice. It was an awesome feeling. All I can add to your data is that 124 grain Aguilla ammo works like a charm for me. I still would like to resolve the low lock of the mecgar mag, I have ordered another to see if it was one off.
Rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Rvitko
New User

I meant to say a full Wolff spring kit, left stock, no mods. This included the mag spring.
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi Roger, and welcome to the forum.

These precision pistols can be a little difficult to get running, but it looks like you were able to get enough reference material and make it a success. Congratulations!

Marc
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Congrats on getting a "cranky" Luger to function correctly again. These lugers are a balancing act with springs, mags and ammo. Sounds like you have hit a good combination of the three. Enjoy!!
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
Rvitko
New User

Thanks, the Internet can be a huge help when you find the right people. I can't profess to be a luger fanatic, I just like mechanical objects in general and guns are part of my obsession, probably about even with Diesel engines. While I may never own another, I am happy to put some love into taking care of this one.