LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 01-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
cotcrab
User

Default first leap

Hi
I'm new to the forum. I'm an avid shooter. Mostly 1911's & modern 9mm's. I've been reading up on luger's, searching the web & checking you tube. I want to purchase a luger. My budget is $1500. A dealer suggested I look at DWM lugers from WW I , 1914 thru 1918 with matching serial numbers. I want a shooter. My question is this:
Should I purchase from a gun show, a internet site or a company like Simpson.
The gun show I can see and handle the gun. Simpson is an established company. The internet can be a gamble.
Also should I wait till I have more experience. Any suggestions are welcome. thank you
Peter
cotcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
Douglas Jr.
User

Peter,

Welcome to the forum.
You are starting with a nice budget for a shooter. For $1500 you can even get a collectable Luger in these days. WWI Lugers with matching magazines are more prized by collectors and rarely shot, as any breakage will hit harsh their values.

For a shooter, people usually prefer WWII-era pistols, finish and matching numbers not being an issue. Reblued or Nickled guns of Russian Captured pistols are good options and all fall in your price range.

From what I have read collector-to-collector deals can bring some nice results. In this forum you have a "For Sale" section where you can find some Lugers for shooting for less than 1000.

All the best,

Douglas.
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotcrab View Post
...My question is this:
Should I purchase from a gun show, a internet site or a company like Simpson.
The gun show I can see and handle the gun. Simpson is an established company. The internet can be a gamble.
Get books and experience

You can find a mismatched, reblued or nickled for less than $800 - then use the remaining $700 and buy some good books (there are some poor books out there, some inexpensive and not really worth their weight)

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Follow Ed's advice! Find a lower priced "shooter" grade Luger, and buy the better reference books. "Luger University" will save you money in the end, and help you understand the history of these remarkable pistols.

Marc
Unread 01-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
RC20
User

From a Luger newbie standpoint its spot on advice.

While I lucked out on my first buy in that it was far better than I thought, it also could have been easily far worse (I did have an expert check it out but not the in depth needed for that type purchase.)

More or less I could have bought a shooter for what you are looking at and it would not have had any collector value at all.

It wasn't until I went through the whole checkout process that I really found what I had bought and as it was progressing found it was a value wrecking move to even think of shooting it.

And the varieties and nuances are far wider than I had a clue as well as shocking as how quickly one can push the value up or down (and usually down!)

Good luck and I join you in looking for a shooter when I sell one of my other guns.
RC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
cotcrab
User

Thanks all of you! I will be following your advice and go for a shooter and start my library.
cotcrab is offline   Reply With Quote