LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-11-2001, 05:07 PM   #1
JClay
New User

Default INFO on a Luger

I am looking for information on a Luger. From what I have gathered recently it looks to be a military piece from the Third Reich - Marks on the weapon are readable; the piece is not in excellent condition, but very good condition. I have no knowledge of the Luger series, origination or history. I have posted some base information on a web site, along with correspondence with one of your associates. If available please take some time and look at the information - Any input or comments or anything you could tell me about the piece would be great. HereĆ¢??s what I know - 1937 S/42 sn 1492t - all the "pieces" on the weapon seem to have 92 stamped into them. Not sure what caliber - Have never shot the weapon, magazine seems a little to new.

Web site http://www.roamcommunications.com/luger

Thanks for all your help.

-Jeremy

http://www.roamcommunications.com/luger
Unread 03-11-2001, 05:45 PM   #2
Ted
User

Default Re: INFO on a Luger

The weapon is a 9mm I would bet. Military model made by Mauser in 1937. The "t" block was were they changed from Strawing (yellow gold color) small parts with rust blued finish to salt bluing all the weapon including the small parts. Your gun should also have checkered wood grips and if the magazine is proper for that gun (not a replacment mag) it will be a type 2 or blued body with an aluminum bottom (may or maynot be serialized to the gun (usually not)) It appears your weapon was only 8 away from the switch. It should have strawed parts (or tarnished silver color) and rust bluing if all original. 126,000 Luger made in 1936 though many didnt survive the war. Ted

Unread 03-11-2001, 07:13 PM   #3
Craig
User

See that little "bar" on the left side above the grip, the one that appears and disappears when you operate the saftey?

It is supposed to be unfinished steel, silvery in color. I noticed in the photo of the left side of the entire pistol that it's the same color as the rest of the gun. This, along with Ted's information points to the gun being reblued. Is there an import mark on the bottom of the barrel? Like "CIA ST ALB VT"? If so it's a recent import. If the mag bottom is black plastic there should be a pin through the middle of the round knob to fasten it to the mag body, if there isn't it's likely a modern mag. Any markings on the mag?

Unread 03-11-2001, 07:55 PM   #4
Steve
User

Don't know if anybody else noticed, but it looks to be out of battery. Steve

Unread 03-12-2001, 08:07 AM   #5
Dok
RIP

Default What does"out of battery" mean? (EOM)

Unread 03-12-2001, 08:19 AM   #6
Ted
User

Default Re: What does"out of battery" mean?

What he means Dok is if you look at the overall picture of the Luger taken from the right side you will see that the cannon assembly(receiver, toggle train,barrel) is a little too far BACK (like the beginning of recoil)and not forward as it should be with the toggle closed. This Gun has been dipped blued so the bluing is not original, no strawed parts and everything very black by the pictures. Seems like it has seen rough use too (sidelplate rough areas) Ted

Unread 03-12-2001, 09:59 AM   #7
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Someone shot the Energizer Bunny Wabbit?? :D

Unread 03-12-2001, 03:29 PM   #8
BobL

Dok, Ted said it best but more simply - When a gun is IN battery it's ready to be fired. The breach is closed and LOCKED.

Unread 03-12-2001, 08:19 PM   #9
Steve
User

I guess I should have been more specific; when the pistol was reassembled, there was a failure to properly engage the mainspring. That is why the toggle is closed, but there is still to much protrusion at the rear of the pistol. Steve

Unread 03-12-2001, 08:23 PM   #10
BILL
User

Since the pistol is photographed in various states of disassembly my thought was that the barrel assy was just slid onto the frame. I did notice it though.

Unread 03-12-2001, 10:24 PM   #11
bill m
User

Ted,

How did you come up with the statement that this Luger "1492T" is only 8 Lugers away from the switch? In Jan Still's book that is only an estimate and you can not say as a fact that there was not Salt Blued guns before this gun. Also, this is in the transition period, which means you can have both rust blued parts and salt blued parts on these guns. These guns in this range can be a number of combinations and all be correct.

Unread 03-12-2001, 10:32 PM   #12
Ted
User

All I did was quote Jan's book! Sorry if it is incorrect!

Unread 03-12-2001, 10:40 PM   #13
bill m
User

Ted,

Your not incorrect, but these guns in this range are not absolute as to blueing and strawed parts. As in all transition periods there are combinations, so there are exceptions to all the estimates in the books.

Unread 03-12-2001, 11:58 PM   #14
bill m
User

Ted,

Have 1937 S/42 #1597 T, with strawed small parts, combination of salt and rust blued parts, and also a Mauser hump. A neat gun!