LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 11-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
DennisBT
New User

Default 1939 S/42. First Luger. Should I buy this?

Well, I appreciate being here and I did read the new collector sticky. Not sure how to go about this but here goes:

Am looking at a Luger. Never owned one before. Since I don't have my hands on it enough to photograph, I'll begin with what notes I came home with. Right off the bat I'm speculating that it is a, "parts gun." Nice bore; two mags, one alum bottom the other wood. Nice holster, black; only marks is 1936 date on back in small letters. Loading tools, "Waffin..," only stamp. Looks like wood grips; 80% blueing. Very clean. NO signs of rust, etc.

Barrel knox: 1939 date; s/n 102x
Frame: s/n 102x
Flat ahead of toggle, "S/42." BUT - two digits under that which I am sure relate to s/n is, "34." Swapped part; so who knows maker !?!
Three other parts have two digit s/n's that are NOT the frame number of 102x

Right side of receiver just under barrel knox, "1939," has, side-by-side Waffin's with, "63," under them and to their right is a Waffin stamp like it's carrying a bomb symbol or something.

Under barrel itself, just ahead of frame is correct s/n, and under that is, "8.84."

I see no import marks but I've made no attempt to remove any parts - even the grips. Owner has had it for about 25 years +/-. He wants $950. I'm really uninformed on these so have no idea if that is a decent price.

In my younger days of minor collecting, mis-matched or parts guns were fine for having an example of any given firearm design and for, condition permitting, shooting. 'Cause they were parts guns, (Century did a lot of this).

I don't want to spend more than what's it worth but I also know it is near impossible using only written description to get any idea of value without taking it to show some one. So all I can ask here is the feeling for, "parts," guns and comments on these skimpy markings.

Thanks for listening,
Dennis
DennisBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
swampsavage
User

The price is too high for a mis-matched shooter. The holster may make up for the difference though as well as the extra mag. The experts on here will want pics of all the items to make any kind of honest appraisal.
Unread 11-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Dennis:
Without seeing photos, and after quickly breezing thru your description, it is tough to estimate value. I believe that I saw a $950 asking price somewhere, and 80% bluing, mismatched numbers, etc. That alone would be a deal breaker, however you mentioned a nice holster and 2 mags, which might bring thwe package up to parr for the money.
But is it a $200 holster or a $30 holster? Dunno. A $125 wood bottom mag, or worthless junk? Dunno.
So I guess I'll say that it is not a killer deal by any means, but if you get a good unmolested original military holster and spare mag, you'll do OK, but it is up to you.
Like I said, not a killer deal, but not horrible either.
Like Clint said: Do you feel Lucky?
I'd feel better if you went into the deal buying a shooter for $750, and maybe hitting the lottery on the other stuff.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,531 Times in 943 Posts

The holster may be a fake. Should have a maker code or name on it. To many unanswered questions to help you. If the holster is real,if the mags are good then maybe $950 is ok. It is a shooter. How is the bore? If the gun is 80% i would not expect the bore to be any better. I would try a $800 offer and see what happens. Good luck. Bill
Unread 11-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
DennisBT
New User

Thank you all. Your comments do not entirely surprise me. As to maker's code/mark on the holster.....where would it be? So far I see nothing else but the year stamp.

I'm now on the fence over this, which is fine. The feedback from here takes away any sense of urgency. Often, that is a good start before any purchase.

Dennis
Unread 11-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Curly1
User

Welcome to the forum Dennis.

If you are looking for a shooter keep ane eye on the want ads here or place a WTB ad in the forum.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 02:15 AM   #7
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

$600, tops. Less would be better.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Dwight Gruber for your post:
Unread 11-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
lugersrkewl
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Dwight is so realistic and conservative in his estimates he would make a great accountant.
thankyou for your expert evaluations mr.Gruber I wish you set the market prices, if you did I would be a luger owner.
lugersrkewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
DennisBT
New User

Default Thank you

Thanks for all the help. If the seller moves a bit on the price I might get it. It is an extremely good looking piece and mechanically seems in VG to Exc. condition. Bore is bright, smooth. Crisp lands and grooves. Were it not for the mis-matched numbers, all visible pieces look like they belong together. Still has a nice, "rich," look to the finish; definitely not re-blued.

Apparently the s/n is 102x with a suffix of, " I ." Not sure if that tells much history in itself.

Quite a piece of machinery.

Dennis
Unread 11-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Yes, they are quite a bit of machinery. Art with function AND history.
Good luck on whatever one you choose.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote