LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 10-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
CoyoteM4
User

Default New to the world of Lugers

Hey everyone, Was really excited to find this forum. I've wanted a WWI or WWII ere Luger for literally a decade now. I would like to find a more affordable shooter to start with - something I can take to the range - so a mismatched and (or) reworked Luger would work fine for me - I wouldn't even mind a project luger that needed work. I also wonder if it's acceptable to be out firing a piece history like that, even in a mismatched state. I do a decent amount of shooting - so that would also be a concern.

If you have some time I'd really appreciate knowing where you guys think I should start. I will keep browsing around in the mean time.

This is a great place you guys have.

Edit: Already messed up - did not see the new luger section - trying to move and delete ASAP. Sorry guys.

Edit 2: I don't know if I can delete this message - My apologies to the mod or administrator that will have to move or delete this.
CoyoteM4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

if we minded, I'd move your posting

Welcome to the forum

yes, check out the different section, lots of 'stickies' at the top of the forum pages for info, especially in the new collector area

Especially consider what type of luger you are looking for, WW1, Weimar, army, police, nazi, etc
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 10-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

Keep an eye on the for sale section here. Nice shooter grade Lugers become available from members regularly.

Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 10-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
CoyoteM4
User

Hey, thanks for the warm welcomes guys - I know new guys posting in the wrong sections can be annoying.

Edward - Honestly, I think anything from WWI to WWII production would be fine - prefer military - but I would be game for anything that came closest to the P-08. I might be being too picky for a shooter already. I would honestly not mind putting one together from parts even - I don't know how feasible that really is price wise etc.

I know I want my first Luger to be something I can shoot and get really familiar with - I absolutely wouldn't want to shoot something that would put any historical significance in danger - and in the shooter price range I don't think I will.

When the time comes for my collector piece I'll be looking for a matching WWII production - I have a Great Uncle who didn't make it back from (or out of) France, and my Grandmother has all his letters home. He wrote that he obtained a Luger and buried it shallow in a ditch for the day (He figured if he got caught with it by the Germans, he would be finished). Someone saw him do it, dug it up, and kept it. As soon as I saw that - it made me want one.

mrerick - I saw someone just sold a shooter for $450 recently and just about bounced my head off the corner of my desk.

At any rate, I can't tell you guys how stoked I am to find this community. I've looked around a little and it is insane how much history this pistol has.

Thanks again.
Unread 10-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Welcome to the forum. Have no worries about shooting a mismatch/reworked/etc Luger. There are a number of us on this forum that shoot our Lugers regularly, and really enjoy it. There are some very valuable collector Lugers that are best kept unfired for fear of breakage of numbered parts, but a lot of shooter luger are out there.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
CoyoteM4
User

Thank you rhuff - That does make me feel better. I've been browsing like crazy today - nobody tell my boss - I'm only going to be able to bill for like 6.5 hours of work at this point.

I will tell you this - I'm like a baby when it comes to Lugers, somewhat versed in M1 Garands, and the modern stuff is EASY to look over and gauge price/authenticity- but the world of Lugers, you have to REALLY know your stuff or you could get rocked some serious extra cash or sold on a bogus story. I'm glad I never moved on any at the gun shows I've been at in the past. In 2005 I almost bought a mismatch for like $750 - in hindsight I probably should have bought it, but it was a LOT of money at the time (for me) - it had the eagle on the barrel and it hadn't had anything shaved off - I know it was NOT matching but it was very clean. I ended up leaving that day with a ratty Mosin Nagant carbine that I paid $60 for - Now that's a shooter's value rifle!

What would your guys top dollar be for a pinged up Russian Capture Luger? That would be a get-me-by shooter, but I'm absolutely not a fan of how they just ground and pinged everything off of them.
Unread 10-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
steven c
User

Welcome to the forum,

There are a bunch of great guys here that would be More that happy to answer any question you may have. I don't post ofen but I do read here all the time. This is one of my favorite forums and these guy know there stuff.

Steve,
steven c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
CoyoteM4
User

Thanks for the warm welcome Steve. I'm finding out very quickly that there are a lot of experts on these boards, and very helpful when it comes to dealing with the new guy's elementary questions.

I've been digging around the forums for the last couple days. I'm floored by the amount of variations and the level of documentation on Lugers - also surprised at how well marked these Lugers are.