LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 06-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
Terry Tiell
User

Default Hello everyone.

UPDATED WITH NEW PICS IN POST #15.

First and foremost THANK YOU THOR and JOHN for helping me register!

Secondly hello everyone glad to be here and take in the wealth of information from you experts. My father passed away years ago and left me an old German Luger he found while metal detecting in a drained fresh water reservoir. God only know how long she was down there on how she came to be there in the first place. Being he was a Baltimore City police officer he tried to clean it up but he made the mistake of not keeping the gun submerged till he could get around to it so rust set it and pitted it pretty badly, his solution was to sand, file, and grind the rust out making things even worse. So this is what I started out with about a month ago when I decided it was time she came back from the grave.

I sent TONS of pics to Thor who gave me a sad news that the barrel and upper were probly too far gone to save and then be able to safely fire so I went out and found a new/old barrel and upper from a 1913 Luger that looks much better then does for $200 shipped to my front door so its on the way. I've so far replaced the grips, grip screws, main spring, firing pin spring and trigger spring. I also spent the better part of 2 days welding new metal into the lower to fill the pitting rather then my dads way of grinding it out. Then I filed, sanded, buffed and polished her till she almost looks chromed or nickel plated! I'm almost done with the lower but I need to get finer files to get rid of the rest of my tooling marks.

Yesterday for the 1st time in I know for a fact at least 35 years I fired her. At 50 yards she had a grouping the size of a softball so I know my barrel may be tired but its by no means worthless. Once I get done with the lower I plan to lightly sand blast it to frost the metal prior to my other first, hot bluing. Once I get done with the metal work I'll post more pics of the lower. Now please keep in mind this gun was BAD off and this is my first ever attempt at rebuilding a gun of any kind.

Last edited by Terry Tiell; 06-28-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Terry Tiell is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Terry Tiell for your post:
Unread 06-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
lugersrkewl
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Welcome, I look forward to seeing your pistols metamorphosis
lugersrkewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

One door opens another. I have no memories of even haveing a father. Cherish every moment! Eric Ps Drop by anytime!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 06-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
CavScoutEurope
User

Very cool! Good luck!
CavScoutEurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Terry Tiell
User

Ok so I sand blasted the lower and it looks like its brand new just out of the mold but should I polish it before I blue it or just blue it as is?
Unread 06-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Please post pictures of every step of your Luger's resurrection!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
Curly1
User

Welcome to the forum Terry.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Tiell View Post
Ok so I sand blasted the lower and it looks like its brand new just out of the mold but should I polish it before I blue it or just blue it as is?

If it were me, I would do some filing and then some polishing, but I don't care for a "parkerized finish" on Lugers. Just a personal opinion.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #9
Terry Tiell
User

Yeah it didn't turn out the way I was hoping for after I blued it it looks dark grey, not a fan. Polcieluger is helping me out in another thread as to what I need to do or if I should just send it to him to finish but without the bluing.
Unread 06-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Due to the condition of your Luger as it is currently, you have to decide what you really want for an end result. There are folks out there that are masters at metal work and draw filing, and though it can not be brought back to like new without a lot of welding etc., it can be markedly improved, and return an old tired "warhorse" back to a good life....and one that one could take pride in. My .02
Unread 06-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
Terry Tiell
User

Thats kinda what I'm leaning toward Rhuff. My new parts should be in by the end of the week and once I see how she fires I'll go from there. So long as the wife doesn't object too badly that is.
Unread 06-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
Greg B.
User

You are in an envious position with that Luger. From your post there is about $200.00 invested and it already shoots better tham what I could do at 50 yds. Thor could probably make that pistol look like new and it still would not cost much more than a store bought shooter. My $.02 worth.

Greg B.
Greg B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
Terry Tiell
User

My new 1913 barrel and upper just got here so I'm gonna test it out as soon as I finish cleaning the lower better. I don't want to mess with the upper till I find out EXACTLY what I need to do to it. It looks fantastic and I don't want to screw it up.
Unread 06-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #14
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Please keep us informed, and pictures are just a plus for us!!
Unread 06-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #15
Terry Tiell
User

Here's the latest pics let me know what you all think. Should I continue to try to do this myself or should I ship her off to an expert such as Thor?

Unread 06-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #16
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I don't beleive anyone will touch your work! They all have there practices and procedure. Your stepping in doesn't help!
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
Terry Tiell
User

I was told a grand to restore it and it would never be safe to fire. So far it not only fires but has a grouping the size of a softball at 50 yards. I couldn't afford to spend $1000 to restore it into a mantel piece so I decided to do what I could and then I'd probly send it off to be finished by a pro hopefully saving some money. All I did so far was to clean up the lower and buy a new upper and barrel and grips and springs and magazine so I don't see where I stepped in and did anything wrong. I understand the pieces turned out by guys like Thor are works of art the likes I could never hope to approach or eclipse and I'm not trying to. All I'm trying to do is finish up something that my father started but could never finish before he passed away.

If I have offended anyone in anyway I sincerely apologize as it was never my intention. I joined this forum in the hopes of either getting help for me to do it myself start to finish or to at get her in proper working order prior to sending it off to be finished by a pro as I just can't afford for them to do it all. If I'm wrong and have upset the forum I hope my apology will be accepted, if not mods please delete my account and I won't bother any of you again.
Unread 06-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #18
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

You a lucky man. my Father left us when I was 5 and all I have was a coffee mug, I think I understand your kinship to your Dad. He would like you to keep it as you found it, I'm sure! Its not your turn to polish His past. Someday you may have a legacy to pass on. I wouldn't want the to feel like you do now. Use this guidance. You have your whole life ahead in which to collect some beautiful. Pick a beaty you both could be proud of. I learned if you continue to look back you will trip fowards. He deserve your respect and alot better luger. Nice going.You deserve BETTER! He would insist I'm sure!!
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 06-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #19
Terry Tiell
User

Thanks Cirelaw. He wanted to redo it himself as well but could never find the parts for it, thankfully we now have the internet and I have been able to get her into firing shape again. Now I'd just love to finish her off to look as good as she shoots, at 50 yards she has a grouping the size of a softball. In my other thread some have mentioned rust bluing and I think I'm probly stuck doing it myself due to the reasons you mentioned above. Thats ok I guess just unfortunate as I did not know what I was doing would make the pros shy away from finishing it if I chose that course.

And just to think I was foolish enough to actually think I was doing a good job and wanted to share it with all of you. I feel like such a moron.
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #20
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,531 Times in 943 Posts

Terry
Not sure what the problem is. Nothing wrong with you getting this in shooting shape. Finish what your father didn't. It is a shooter so no harm done on whatever you do. Have fun and enjoy. Sometimes people on here get some weird ideas but most are sincere. Bill