LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-01-2002, 10:58 AM   #1
Jim Van Eldik
User

Default Request to the Value Experts

I see frequent statements on the Forum about various Lugers being overpriced, or not containing sufficient "worth" in relation to the price being asked. I request that when anyone makes a statement like this they list two sources where an identical or similar Luger might CURRENTLY be obtained by us plebians at the correct worth. Having purchased one two years ago at $395 won't cut it.

Unread 02-01-2002, 06:34 PM   #2
art buchanan

Default Re: Request to the Value Experts

Jim--I have to agree with you. The responses on the forum sometimes seem to come from "tire kickers" who judge but don't buy. There is always the guy who got one cheaper than you no matter what you paid. Kind of tough on new guys to get straight info. I recommend that you subscribe to all the Luger lists---Shattuck,Simpson,Seebach and others who advertise in the Gun List. At least you have solid info on what is available and what it would cost you. Watch Auction Arms--look at Bob Adams list and others in the classifieds here. In 40+years of buying Lugers--most of the best buys I ever got were not from a guy who specializes in Lugers but from an individual or a dealer who specializes in other guns and happens to have one Luger. The cheapest Lugers are bought before they get in the hands of the Luger Dealer--but one has to happen to be in the right place at the right time. Look at what is going on at a gun show. If you see a guy trying to sell a Luger to dealers at tables----talk to him--dealers are offering him 20-30% less than they think they could sell. Buy from the individual. Sometimes a guy who has been offered only $350 for his $500 Luger will be pleased to sell to you for $400 for example. There are guys who will advise you not to pay 25cents to watch an ant eat a bale of hay. Study the market and make your decision based on that not what you hear. Then there is the guy who has one Luger to sell which is common and a $500 value--but he saw a rare Luger advertised which looks like his[minus the rare markings] and he is convinced it is worth $1000. I am sure that there are exceptions--but I have never got a good deal in a pawn shop. I recently observed here on the forum that advice was a diminished interest in Mauser Banner Lugers and they are cheap---I am still looking for the cheap source. Study the advertisements and do not be afraid to trust your judgement. My first Luger was a G date in 1959 for $30--- I'll bet someone here will tell me that they got one for $25 the same year. Hope this might be of help to new guys.

Unread 02-01-2002, 07:58 PM   #3
BCC

I agree with every comment..good advice. There is not a rigid book value on any Luger, they all should be viewed as falling in a range that will easily vary 20% (for example between $900 and $1100 for a specific model, date, make and condition) IMO that is about the best anyone can expect. Thirty years ago I would fuss over $10 to $25 on a price if I thought it was too much. Today I wish I had bought every Luger I saw back then that was only over priced by that amount! IMO any 95%+ matched (except mag) WWI or WWII common military model will be valued (I define this as reasonable replacement cost) at between $800 and $1100. Of course anything in this period that is less usual or even a little more popular (like "Black Widows") can be more...esp if around 98%+ finish. One may always run accross the odd occasion when the seller doesn't know what they have and get a buy a $50, but I would not count on building a collection with this MO.

Unread 02-01-2002, 11:18 PM   #4
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Art; ALL TRUE!!

Lonnie

Unread 02-02-2002, 02:33 PM   #5
dgp42
User

I'm very pleased to see some honest comments about Luger values posted.For a begining Luger collector in the current price market all the afore mentioned resources should be studied. I have never seen a good deal in a pawn shop[they know how to over price everything]IMO. So, keep asking questions on this forum.By the by, Hide Food leather conditioner was a great tip for using on my holsters.