LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 07-05-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
Hugh
RIP

Unhappy Fred Datig passed

From the S&W Forum:
"Fred Datig Passing
He will be missed.
Fred told me one time that he had a large Luger collection and when it came time to publish his book on the Luger he couldn't find a publisher that would front the money.
So he sold his collection to finance the book, thinking that he could buy it back at a later date. The book caused the Luger prices to go up so much that Fred could never buy his collection back.
Another little known fact is that Fred's dad who was in the movie business owned the town of Quartzite AZ. at one time.
Fred served in the Army, WW II in Italy.
I can remember Fred talking about the time when he and a couple of other people were hired by the Egyptian Government to inventory the huge gun collection of King Farouk. "Full Name" His Majesty Farouk I, by the grace of God, King of Egypt and Sudan, Sovereign of Nubia, of Kordofan, and of Darfur." loved guns. He was overthrown in the Egyptian Revolution of 1952.
Fred was, for a long time trying to get together a group of investors and go to Egypt and try to buy that collection he was convinced that it could be done. Now would be a good time to try it again.
The last book I knew that he had been working on was a book on The Smith & Wesson Russian Model.
He just needed a few pictures to finish it up.
I hope that they don't throw that away when they clean out his apartment.
God Bless You Fred.
Your Friend,
L.G."

"Larry , Fred and I go back a long way. I was afraid he would not be with us much longer when I last talked to him earlier this year. I've reviewed his draft of his S&W book and it's truly a shame he couldn't get the photos he needed to complete the volumnes. I hope his survivors see that all that research and manuscripts go to someone who can get his books published someday. His data on No. 3s, Old and New Models and the years he spent in Germany and Russia doing research at Ludwig Loewe and Tula and in the archives at The Hermitage, etc. has not been published anywhere to my knowledge. Fred was seriously wounded in Europe in WW2 and barely survived, stayed there after the war was over to do his research on guns. He will be missed by those of the Old School that knew his passion for guns. R.I.P., Fred. Ed."
Unread 07-05-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

Hugh, I had heard this, but not this detail.

Very interesting and he really had an influence on many different collectors!

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote