LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 01-28-2002, 01:31 AM   #1
Steve
User

Default Portland Gunshow

I went to the gunshow here in Portland, Oregon and as usual there was very little for a Luger person. One dealer was there who always has several very high priced ones but other than that, all that I saw was two other Lugers.

There wasn't even any Mauser 7.63 pistol ammo but since I started loading it myself I was not too upset at that. I did have one ammo dealer tell me that the newer Tokarev ammo is safe in my broomhandle but I am not willing to risk myself or the gun to find out!

I settled for some reloading parts and a box of Sellier & Bellot ammo to try in my stainless steel gun. I am having a hard time finding commercial ammo that will cycle the action and am working up a reload that will work. So far I only get the action to work about 75% of the time so I will add another 0.1gr of powder and try again!

Unread 01-28-2002, 02:16 AM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
Default Re: Portland Gunshow

There were a few more Lugers there, but you had to look harad for them, usually singles. A couple of people had two in a case, one old guy (a term of endearment) had five which were mostly reworked and re-barreled. I bought a "G" dated S/42 from him, all matching except for the DWM toggle/breechblock (damn) and gloss-black reblue and polished formerly-strawed parts (damn, again). Paid $400 for it, but considering the prices/condition of everything else there it was probably the bargain of the show. For all that its a handsome shooter, which is what I was looking for. Its nice and tight, took it to the range across the freeway afterwards and shot it a bunch, seems to be everything a Luger shooter should be.

The dealer's pieces were all -very- nice, but full price. Some of the singletons around the hall were priced decently, but not what I was looking for. I'd have to say that Luger prices here in the Pacific Northwest, at least now, are on the high side.

--Dwight

Unread 01-28-2002, 03:04 AM   #3
Orv Reichert
RIP

Default Portland

That show "ain't what it uster be!" I am sure the new 'gunshow' law has a lot to do with it.

I could count the Lugers and P38's I saw on one hand..and, the P38s were all crap!

It is always worth going, however, if only to shoot the bull with Lowell Pauli and a few other friends..

Orv Reichert

Unread 01-28-2002, 09:29 AM   #4
Russ
User

Default Re: Portland

I'm sure glad i didn't try and drive over Hood to go to that show. dont sound like thair was mutch thair. I am going to the millitary show next weekend. If the snow allows

Unread 01-28-2002, 11:32 AM   #5
Bill Utterback

That sounds about the same as the San Antonio shows. I'd like to know where to go to find the $250-$350 shooters that some people seem to think are so common. Especially the 85 percent Spandau that is not a collectable because the firing pin is not numbered. I'd like to have that shooter. For $250.

Unread 01-30-2002, 01:40 PM   #6
Jim
User

I display at the portland show once or twice a year. I did not do this last show, as I am too busy with my "day job" and am losing interest in showing what I have at gun shows. (At least in Oregon!) I usually have a few keepers to just pique interest and 10-20 collectable and shooter pistols that I want to pass on so that I can afford chasing down other "leads". I do miss the stories that come to my table via the many familiar faces that I have come to know over the last 5 years of doing only portland shows. I also miss the always friendly hello from Orv!! Anybody in the portland area that is interested in talking/trading/buying/selling lugers or p38's or accessories, e-mail me and I will respond!!