LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 02-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
Hugo Borchardt
User

Cool GunBroker and other sites: Gripes and Props

Don't get me wrong: I appreciate Gunbroker, as they have the cajones to allow us a marketplace to trade firearms. I love to peruse GB every day and make an occasional purchase, but have the following gripes.

- Ammunition: The site is primarily to trade guns, and ammunition should not show up by default. Since "9mm Luger" ammo shows up by default on a Luger search, it almost always forces you to use the advanced search. This could be solved by allowing you to specify your preferences "Show Ammunition? Y/N" and GB saving them for future sessions.

- New Posts vs rePosts: As far as I know, no method is provided for seeing only new first time posts. If you select "New within the previous 24 hours", it still shows all the old tired auctions that continue to repost forever and have happened to expire and repost in the previous 24 hrs. I understand E.T. needs to get $X for that Luger :-) as I have done the same thing, but I want to be able to quickly see what is really NEW.

- Auctions vs Inventory: Several dealers put their entire inventory on the site with a, IMO, full-retail-plus reserve price. These are "For sale" and not a true auction. I know I can choose "No Reserve" and "Start Price" between 0 and $100, but GB should provide an easier way to see the actual auctions. Heck I like JacksonArmory as much as the next guy but sheesh.

AuctionArms IMO is great, but they could use a serious redux. Same ammo problem. Their banner and search box take the top half of my 1280x1024screen. For some reason I have never actually bought or sold anything on Auction Arms, even though I bid occasionaly. Perhaps it is because you see fewer Luger Items, but when they are there sometimes they are really good true auction

GunsAmerica has some interesting items from time to time, but I almost never get my questions answered and therefore have never made a purchase there.

The two LugerForums are my favorite place to trade if at all possible, especially to or from another known collector.

Simpson LTD is great too, and believe it or not, contrary to popular belief gained by perusing their site, I have picked up a couple great reasonably priced items there.

I have also bought from the very reputable Legacy Collectibles. I realize they are more high-end than Simpson, but would like to see them compile and move more inventory.

Phoenix Investment Arms blows everyone away when it comes to photography and presentation, IMO. Honestly, I feel like I am visiting a museum, or a used Lamborghini showroom, and have not made a purchase.

Clark

My militaria collection is dedicated to the memory of my Grandfather, Marine Gunnery Sergeant Dave Hill, Jr., wounded in action at The Assault of the Second Marine Division on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, 20-23 November, 1943. http://www.tarawa1943.com/pages/casualties%20tarawa.htm
Hugo Borchardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
calibrator
User

Hey Clark !! You didn't mention Randy Bessler's site www.collectorfirearms.org . He has quite a few Lugers and accessories listed there, as well as other German iron. I bought my M1930 Broom' from him, nice enough guy to deal with IMHO. !! Joe
calibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to calibrator for your post:
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Curly1
User

I hear ya on the short comings of the searches.

What I do on GB is type in luger at the top not in advanced searches. When the inventory pops up go to the top and you will see them all catogorized by type. You can then select Pistols to get all the firearms.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Curly1 for your post:
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Somewhat like buying a used car in the flashes!!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
nukem556
User

you LIKE Jackson Armory???? how do you feel about colonoscopies?
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
Hugo Borchardt
User

Nukem: LOL. I like them "....as much as the next guy"

I'll check Collectorfirearms.org out, Joe. Didn't know about that one.

Thanks!

My militaria collection is dedicated to the memory of my Grandfather, Marine Gunnery Sergeant Dave Hill, Jr., wounded in action at The Assault of the Second Marine Division on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, 20-23 November, 1943. http://www.tarawa1943.com/pages/casualties%20tarawa.htm
Hugo Borchardt is offline   Reply With Quote