LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 01-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Bongos
User

Default Picked up a Mixmaster Shooter

I think someone had lots of P08 parts laying around and came up with this, the barrel looks new with sharp rifling, it's 9mm, it mentioned here, it has both military and commercial parts. Whomever did the assembly, the fitting feels tight and solid, I'll have to take it out and try it this week (hopefully it functions fine).
I was wondering if I can shoot 124gr 9mm ammo thru it or 115gr only for these guns?
Also, I know I need a tool to work the magazine easier but is the tension that much required to make these guns operate reliably, is this because of the toggle design?

Bongos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

125 or 115 gr, whichever functions the gun best. Start with 115 gr Win white box stuff or Sellar & Beloit and experiment a bit. Just no duper-duper hot loads, normal 9mm only.
No loading tool required but if your thumb gets sore put a rag over the button. You may want to invest in a MecGar magazine or 2 as they seem to function best.
That front sight blade looks very tall, so be prepared for your groups to print low.
Now go make some noise.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
JRS
User

It is my understanding that the original 9 mm cartridge designed for the Luger that was adopted by the German Army in 1908 carried a 124 grain weight bullet. Today, the 9 mm Luger cartridge comess in 115, 124 and 147 grains. I have shot them all in my Lugers. The one I use the most is a 115 grain PMC (Precision Made Cartridges) made in Korea. Inexpensive and reliable in all calibers. The 147 grain cartridges come with a blunt nose which results in occasional feeding problems

As for the pistol you bought, it looks like you got a good deal. I recently bought a twin to it at Simpson's LTD for $1.095; right down to the ill-fitting grip panels. Those grip panels appear to be $20.00 repros available on e-bay. I have bought them before and trimmed the over-lap at the front and rear straps, sanded the checkering to smooth it, tossed on a thin coat of lacquer and was good to go.

The Germans must have produced these six inch barrel Luigers in droves. They come today advertised as DWM 1920 Commercials. Anyhow, they look neat, but naturally not collectible.
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
JRS
User

And one more thing to note about your Luger and the one I bought. Neither has a stock lug on the rear strap. So, who needs a Luger rifle?
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
Curly1
User

The usual recommendation is to shoot 115gr winchester White box.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
Bongos
User

thank you for the much needed info. Does the magazines only takes arounds 7rds, even with the tool I really don't see how you would cram the 8rd rond down there.. LOL, I plan on shooting it this Thursday, will advise a range report
Bongos is offline   Reply With Quote