LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 04-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
Jan C Still
User

Default Revision of Third Reich Lugers and the Weiss diaries.

Revision of Third Reich Lugers and the Weiss diaries.
I have long been in the process of revising/updating the book Third Reich Lugers published in 1988. For many years the information packed August Weiss notes were not available to collectors or authors. It is my understanding that the August Weiss' notes are now in the possession of Joop van de Kant and are being used in the preparation of the book he and Don Hallock are writing covering Mauser Lugers (Don Maus).

The revision /update of Third Reich Lugers is almost complete. Is there any way that the August Weiss notes/diaries could be made available so this revision of Third Reich Lugers can be completed. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jan
Jan C Still is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
Jan C Still
User

I would very much like to gain access to the Weiss notes so I can complete the revision of Third Reich Lugers.

I have made most of my Luger research available to other collectors and authors. Look at the numerous Luger data bases available on the GLCPAP Forum. In my opinion there is a trend toward locking up Luger information in private archives not accessible to most collectors.

Below is a post that I made concerning the Gortz archive.
Joachim Gortz archive to private European collection http://luger.gunboards.com/showthrea...ighlight=Gortz

“I agree with Klaus, this important Luger information should be made more available to Luger collectors. As it is now, this information may continue to remain in Europe in the hands of a few private collectors for some time.”
Jan

Again with the August Weiss' notes it appears that important Luger information is being stored in private archives accessible to only a small clique of collectors.

Jan

Last edited by Jan C Still; 04-04-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Unread 04-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default jan, that link did not work....tom

tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
Jan C Still
User

Tom
It works on the other Forum but not on this Forum. Will try posting it again.
Jan
Joachim Gortz archive to private European collection http://luger.gunboards.com/showthrea...ighlight=Gortz
Its exactly whats posted on the other Forum but it does not work from this Forum!!!
Jan
Unread 04-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,087 Posts

what HAPPENS is that the link gets truncated, you go in and edit what you wrote and copy it in again...
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
alvin
User

Maybe current owners of those documents want to publish something as well? Just a guess.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,205 Posts

Jan,

Have you contacted Reinhard Kornmayer and Prof. Dr. Rolf Gminder?
Both have useable documentation from the legacy of August Weiss. They have provided other authors with copies of this documentation before.

The famous 'missing diaries' are in the hands of Hans Bert Lockhoven, who is not prepared to share them with anyone (yet).

Hope this helps!

On the Görtz Archive: it is 'only' a photographic reference archive, mainly with copies of photos from other collectors and authors. It is comparable to our own digital archives which we all keep today, but in a paper form. A large part is dedicated to associated things like WW1 vehicles and unit photography.

Another issue is the passing away of Mauser expert Walter Schmid a couple of months ago (late 2009). Here again it is important to keep his life's work together and to prevent it from scattering around the globe. It is one of the issues that will be discussed in an upcoming meeting at Oberndorf this summer. I agree with Jan that burying info in the private stash of advanced collectors is never a good thing.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote