LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 11-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
MtnMan
New User

Default Help with ID and value of DWM Luger

I am looking at a pre-WWII commercial DWM Luger in 30 Luger caliber with Serial # 1196 or 1198 with all matching #s in excellent condition, original bluing, no rust but some browning of the bluing, no holster, no papers, one magazine. Not all parts have serial #s and some parts have only two numbers stamped.

I'm new to Lugers and I have read that you really need to know your Luger or else you're very likely to overpay.

Can anyone shed some light on the value of this gun?
MtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

What you have described so far is consistent with the Alphabet DWM designation, manufactured in the 1920s. Is there a scriptic lower case letter under the serial number on the frame, and what is it?

Could you be more specific on the amount of wear (rubbed-away blue) on the exterior surface?

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
MtnMan
New User

Default Pre-WWII Luger

Dwight, thanks for the quick reply.

The serial # is 1198 with the cursive letter "O." In front of the trigger guard is stamped, "Germany." There is also the letter "N" with a crown above it stamped on the gun.

The bluing is worn where you would expect on the pistol- On the handle in front where the fingers rest and on the back where the heal of the hand rests.

Does this help?
Unread 11-10-2009, 12:38 AM   #4
drbuster
User

It appears that Dwight is correct, as usual. This is probably a common alphabet commercial luger, made in the tens of thousands and commanding about $1200 in a good market (not now!) and $800 in a poor market (such as now!).
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
MtnMan
New User

Default Pre-WWII German DWM Luger

Thanks, drbuster!

Your comments confirm what general research indicated so far, but I couldn't say with any confidence since this is new to me. $600 - $800 seemed to be the price range for a "shooter" Luger without holster and paper trail. The feedback from you and Dwight have provided the confidence to pursue this pistol further with the seller.

This research has been very educational. I had no idea there was such a long history and diversity in production models. My only question now is; Do I want to pursue a military Luger rather than a commercial model?

Regards!
Unread 11-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Ron,

The o suffix indicates that this gun was made late 1925-early 1926. The crown/N is the civilian proof mark of the period.

Imho drbuster has put you in the right ballpark for price. It is impossible to advise you more without a knowledgable description of condition, or pictures.

"Do I want to pursue a military Luger rather than a commercial model?"

Depends on your reason for bujying a Luger. Do you want one to simply have for the owning? Do you want one to shoot? Do you intend this to begin the establishment of a collection (small or large)? Do you have an interest, or family history, in a particular era?

If you simply want to own a Luger (or begin to study the type) this could be a decent choice, depending on condition. The price range you mention is certainly moderate.

If you are looking for a Luger to shoot, this particular gun may not be the best choice. .30 Luger ammunition is not very common and is relatively expensive, unless you plan on in loading your own ammo. 9mm is much more accessible. In this case you may want to invest in one of the more common WWII Mauser-made guns, as they have 20 years less use wear than typical Imperial examples.

One cannot really advise you regarding the other questions until you begin to answer them for yourself.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
alvin
User

It's the least bugged Luger variation, so it's a good starting point. Better than jumping into fancier variation directly. e.g.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=146217737

Ammo is not cheap. But 9x19 new ammo is not cheap either these days.
http://www.a1ammo.com/products/fiocchi/f30l/
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote