LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 11-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,584 Times in 990 Posts
Default Latest check in on the Forum....

Hello to all! Those that know me, know I've been battling some health issues lately... mostly over the last two years... I think I'm outt'a the woods right now and have high hopes for the future.. as it is now, I've got three more months in a cast on my foot, and I should be able to start walking... Never realized how much I took that for granted... ... But, as I'm doing better, I thought I'd share my experience with the other members who are my age, and probably in the same, or slightly different boat! Approx. two years ago I had a total left knee replacement... That's a real treat, you really can't fully appreciate, til you've had one... but it actually went well and is probably the best joint on my whole person as of this note... but it takes a year to come off it totally, and half of that year is learning to walk all over again... some do poorly, some do fine.. I did fine.. In the meantime, (about one year ago!) found out I was diabetic.. Right after that I was walking from my kitchen to the living room and I heard three loud cracks.. thought someone shot me!! ...that was the load bearing bones in my left foot exploding!! Foot was all deformed and couldn't walk, so they put me in a cast, and gave me a little four wheeled kneel on / push schooter... Crashed that damn thing about 3 times, and my cast finally rubbed a nasty open spot on my shin that became infected, shin area of my lower leg swelled up to the dia. of a football, and got me a week in the hospital on the heaviest hitting antibiotics there is... Foot didn't recover so they took a bone graft outt'a my hip... yup! you guessed it, left side! and installed it in my foot with a four inch stainless wood screw and an external isolator and another cast, aaannnnddd.. my little red scooter again!... Three more crashes, with a re-injury of an old seperated shoulder issue on my............ wait for it....... LEFT shoulder, just about sums it up with one exception, one of the crashes was when my Bull Mastif AZIS, now 100 pounds, and an 18 month old pooch.... decided to bolt when I had him on a six foot leather teather... all I can say is, I did everything in .4 milliseconds, that Ben Hur did in 15 minutes!!!... ...Also, just for spice in life, during the time of the first repair effort to my foot, and also just recently, I had cateract surguries, both eyes are good now, about three months apart.. I can see far, but not well close.. I'm working that out with glasses..so my projects are going slow, as I only have a good hour or two each day, and I'm stretching them out on my day job..... Good thing I can make mag bottoms with my eyes closed, cuz that's about whats happening.. Still, I'm pounding out the jobs / projects, and have only two or three more heavy hitters to do, and those guys know who they are.. It'll be as soon as I can, a little every day..... BTW, did I mention I'm left handed?? All & all, I'm plenty happy... Dog's happy to see me every day! Best to all, til....lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
policeluger
RIP

Make my next week foot bone spur removal trivial......GT you know we love ya......hang in there...........
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,511 Times in 2,083 Posts

Well my friend, I'd never know this via our email chats! Well a little, but you have friends here, Howard and I for sure

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,106 Times in 1,429 Posts

GT..Thanks for the update..sounds like you have been thru the wringer! After all that it HAS to get better!
Hang tight my Friend...I'll be thinkin of ya.

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default How was your summer!

Hi Guys! Yes! I do realize the friends that I have, that are on this forum... and, as for right now, I am improving. And, I'm not even in half the trouble that most sick people are in.. My heart goes out to many.. When you have ongoing and reoccuring injuries like I have had.. you get a big dose of humility... But, I also see the humor and irony in it too?? It's just life coming aroud trying to get on my six... Just thought you guys would get a kick outt'a my story, and, see the humor also! ... Best to you all, til..lat'r...GT
Unread 11-04-2009, 05:20 AM   #6
Ice
User

GT, you are in our thoughts. Hope for a full recovery soon. Guess we will know about knee replacement soon as the wife is going for one in a couple of weeks. This is the result of an old injury.

Best

Charlie
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 06:31 AM   #7
Steinar
User

Ouch.. after all that, I'm sure things will have a turn for the better! Wish you all the best!
Btw.. Perhaps you can preform as stunt driver with the little red scooter when all this is over
Unread 11-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #8
Neil Young
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

G.T.:
I don't really know you, other than reading your posts, but you are really an inspiration to me. I'm approaching 72 great years old, but I've never had to deal with anything like your experience. However, I know that there will most likely be some tough times in the future. I just hope that I can deal with them with similar fortitude. God speed!

Neil Young
Unread 11-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
Navy
RIP

G.T.

Hang in there my friend; you got a lot of fight in you and a double helping of talent.

Heres hoping you are at 100% Military Rated Power ASAP.

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
Jasta2
User

G.T.
There always is light at the end of the tunnel if the right attitude is maintained and you with your "Thumbs-Up" shows you have attitude to overcome anything that comes your way.
Best to you.
Bill B.
Jasta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 02:34 AM   #11
lfid
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

GT,

best wishes for your continued recovery back to age adjusted 100%

thanks for the reminder that good health needs to be appreciated and not taken for granted

Bill
lfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #12
jamese
User

GT,
Best wishes, you hang in there it can only get better. I can appreciate your out-look....no mater how bad things seem to get, there is always someone who is in a much worst situation and wishes they were you.

God Bless

Jim
Unread 11-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #13
Ron Smith
User

GT,

You should change your handle to "Lucky". There comes a time in life when you start thinking you should just curl up in a corner. And the only thing left is for a big bird to fly over and crap on your head. It does get better...

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Doing well!

Hi to all... and, my most sincere thanks to all my forum friends! the well wishes are appearantly working as I'm improving daily.. I'm really antzy to get things done! I wrote the little story just to interject some humor and life irony on the forum, as I've said before that's the real spice in life! ......... Rick, I never ever even got close to a ten flat hunderd.... not even in a tornado (wind aided?) when really really scared, although my time was probably impressive! .......... The Ben Hur image should say it all... I didn't have time to say my two favorite words in life, that preceed all my adventures, both volentary and involentary, and they are, "Huh & What"??? Actually it was more of the Roman centurian kind of deal... But, again, thanks to all you guys... I enjoy meeting, dealing, and interacting with you all!...... Best to you, til....lat'r....GT
Unread 11-05-2009, 09:50 PM   #15
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

GT,

I have been away for a few days... and just learned of the extent of your condition in this thread... All I can say my old friend is that you will continue to be in my prayers...

Keep making a comeback Gerry, and keep us up to date on your condition... your friends really care.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #16
alterfritz
User

Best wishes for you recovery GT. Sound like you had a lot going on, alwasy best to stay away from the hospital it seems, once they start to mess with you, you never know where they're going to end up
alterfritz is offline   Reply With Quote