LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 12-06-2001, 03:43 AM   #1
Thor
User

Default RIG & Clenzoil

I really like this Rust Inhibiting Grease (RIG) I have heard so much about that I bought some and now have added it to the reworks before I test fire them for functioning and sight alignements. I was just using oil and now I see this RIG is so much better along the breech block chase and the frame/reciever track! It is good stuff! Thanks to everyone that has recommended it! I love this stuff! I am still using CLENZOIL for general light oil cover on bluing and strawing! It is super too! ~Thor~

Unread 12-06-2001, 05:46 PM   #2
TomN

Default Re: RIG & Clenzoil

What's the trade name of that grease your using Ted.

Unread 12-06-2001, 09:29 PM   #3
Big Norm
RIP

I thought that CLENZOIL was a rust remover and not a lubricant. Am I wrong? What I have seems sorta thin to be a lubricant.

Big Norm

Unread 12-06-2001, 10:11 PM   #4
Thor
User

Default Re: "RIG" Universal GREASE

Big Norm, I only use CLENZOIL for the bluing protection (and strawing protection too) but I have started using ANOTHER product because of the recommendations of Marvin and some other forum posters. I saw it applied to Lugers that I was getting for reworking and noticed how super it lubricated the frame rails and toggle train within the reciever. It is called RIG or Rust Inhibiting Grease. I am using the UNIVERSAL type and I bought it from BROWNELLS. There is also another version of "RIG" for Stainless steel guns like the Mitchell/Aimco/Stoeger SS. You just cannot believe how slick your Lugers action will work with the Universal RIG if you have not been using a quality lubricant! GREAT STUFF! ~Thor~

Unread 12-06-2001, 10:31 PM   #5
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Thor; RIG is a stone age product but is still around because it is good.

Lonnie

Unread 12-06-2001, 10:39 PM   #6
Thor
User

I heard that, I am just SLOW! lol ~Thor~

Unread 12-07-2001, 10:57 AM   #7
Marvin
User

Hello Folks,

Well, things have slowed down for me today and I saw this thread and wanted to jump in on this one.

I have been using Clenzoil for about 6-7 years now and fouynd it to be the best oil for protection of the firearm. Now, there are other oils on the market that are good, but Clenzoil does work and it smells good too! I have been using RIG for over 30 years and I mostly use the Universal type. I use the rig on the inside of the pistols and the out side for long term storage. While here in Florida and being located near the ocean, I was concerned about keeping the pistols I bought here protected so I got some RIG at a local guyn show and keep a liberal amount on them. When I get them home, I will use a "RIG Rag" to wipe them down again when keeping them in the vault. With these two products, you can't go wrong! As Thor stated, keeping the sliding surfaces lubricated with RIG does a good job.

Marvin

Unread 12-07-2001, 03:32 PM   #8
Luke
User

Default Break Free CLP - vs. - Clenzoil ? ? ?

Has anyone made a comparison of these two? I have been using the Break Free product, but would switch over if Clenzoil offers better protection.

Unread 12-07-2001, 04:05 PM   #9
Thor
User

Default Re: Break Free CLP - vs. - Clenzoil ? ? ?

I remember one type of Break free product was comparable to Clenzoil, I believe it did just as well in the steel to rust dust test that Marvin did! Thor

Unread 12-07-2001, 04:12 PM   #10
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

I would love to hear about this test.

Lonnie

Unread 12-07-2001, 04:32 PM   #11
Big Norm
RIP

Default DIFFERENT PRODUCTS?

There have discussions before on this subject and I remember being confussed before. To me RIG is an excellent GREASE that has the consistency of Petrolium Jelly. But CLENZOIL is a product that that has a viscosity a little thicker than WD-40. It never struck me as an oil or a lubricant even though it is advertised as a lubricant. I use it to break loose rust. Maybe as a lubricant between frequent shooting its OK. But not for long term storage. I think that it depends on the intentions that you have for your gun.

A question that I would like to ask is just what constitutes a "good" oil (Maybe the absence of sulfur and other impurities?)? Why not clean car oil? Modern technology has immproved car oil to remove many impurities.

I agree that RIG is good stuff. But why not Petrolium Jelly? Its a byproduct of oil and has the same stickum as the more expensive RIG. And it can be purchased at any drug store. Just because a company has a good advertising account does not necessarily make it a superior product.

For a good slide action on the Lugers rails, why not use a silicone based oil or a silicone spray itself with an oil coating? I use silicone on the electric outside steps and the door latches on my motorhome because oil attracts lots of dirt. But silicone does not.

Big Norm

Unread 12-07-2001, 07:27 PM   #12
Marvin
User

Lonnie,

I did the test and it was definetly not scientific, but worked OK.

I took a piece of CR Steel and removed and oil from the surface. Then I took samples of Break Free, WD-40, Clenzoil, Sheath, and a GI Lubricating Oil. After applying a liberal coating of each oil on the bar, in seperate sections, I let it dry to remove any carriers. I then sprayed the bar with a concentrated salt spray once a day for 1 week. I then watched the results.

The first to show rust was the GI Lubricating Oil, second was WD-40, third was Sheath, and I could find very little difference with Clenzoil and Break Free.

In my opinion, we would never subject our pistols to a daily spray of salt solution, so I feel any one of these will offer good protection except the GI Oil. The GI oil is probably good for very short term use only. I use Clenzoil at home, but while in Florida, I bought some Break Free because it was available, and a great oil.

As to lubication, oil is better than nothing, but a grease is better in my opinion. Actually, very little grease is required on sliding surfaces to work and most people use too much. All you need to do is keep metal to metal contact. If there are areas where pressure comes into play, a higher pressure grease may be required, just to keep it in place and not "squeezed" out and allow metal to metal contact. It is like the bearings in an auto engine, they ride on a very thin film of oil to prevent metal to metal contact. As most know, if you lose oil pressure, that metal to metal contact will destroy the engine very quickly.

Marvin

Unread 12-07-2001, 09:32 PM   #13
N Keller

If you gntlemen would send me a shipping address I would send you a sample of the Sythentic lube we formulated for action type shooting. Has all the good stuff, extreem pressure, rust inhibutor, detergent, etc.

Neil

Unread 12-08-2001, 02:02 AM   #14
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Marvin; thank you. REAL tests intrige me. I use break free and Tetra gun grease, but will use anything that TESTS better.

Lonnie