LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 08-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
RJC
User

Default History of a luger

Hi, my name is Rich and I am new to your forum. I would like to know if any one can tell me about the luger I was given. My father got it in a town called Noville just north of Bastogne on Jan. 10, 1945 during the battle of the bulge. I would like to know anything, anyone cold tell me about it, where it was made, is it rare, an apx. value ect. I have no intrest in selling it because of ties to my Father. One last thing is there any way from the serial # I could find out who it was original issued to (I don't know any of those records still exist.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	7630  

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	7631  

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	7632  

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	7633  

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	7634  

RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

It is a military issued, 1940 (the year) 42 (mauser code name) and issued and captured by the us army.

Value is from $700-$1100; depending on if all original; if there are any extra magazines, holster, tool, etc. The magazine in the gun should be a aluminum based mag, not a wood based one.

ed

welcome to the forum!
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 08-07-2009, 05:37 AM   #3
CROLUGER
User

Nice Luger.

I am watching 6. parts Band of Brothers (Bostogna), it was hard battle against SS and Wehrmacht, and you have one of side arms in that battle. One soldier looking for Luger (like your father?).
Luger DWM 1915, Luger BYF 1942, Walther P-38 AC43 & CYQ 1944, Mauser Hsc, Steyr 1909, Frommer Stop 1916, SA XD HS 45, Beretta M34, M70, M72, M950B, 92FS, Browning 1910/22, CZ M-48, CZ PAP M59/66, Winchester 9422M, GLOCK 19.
CROLUGER is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to CROLUGER for your post:
Unread 08-07-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
Ron Smith
User

Hi Rich,

Any documentation as to when and to whom it was issued has long since been destroyed or lost.

I will up Ed's estimate as to value. I would estimate insurance replacement value at around $1400 to $1600.

Here's a link to one that was recently sold. This dealer's prices are considered to be approx. 25%+ higher than most would sell for. Also the Luger listed is in nearly unissued condition, which boosts the value considerably.

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_in...c6bafbeb985941

If you were to try to sell it out right. I think that $1300 would be a realistic value in today's slow market, but this is just an estimate. It also appears to have some pitting on the barrel which tends to bring the collector value down.

Welcome to the forum.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Ron Smith for your post:
Unread 08-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Rich, a little more info on your Luger. It was completed about December 1940.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Frank for your post:
Unread 08-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

A nice heirloom war trophy Luger... I wouldn't blame you for not selling it... It is a piece of history.

It would take a lot of work in research on your part, but you can investigate actual reports on the battle of the bulge and it could be determined with some certainty which German units were fighting in Norville on that date. Then you would at least have some idea which German unit lost that Luger...

I am sure that if any of the battle historians on this website know which German units were present you will get an easy answer here... and save you a lot of work.

Rich, which American unit did your father fight with at that time. My father was in the 39th Infantry, 9th Infantry Division and also fought in that area around the same time.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 08-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
RJC
User

Default Wow

Where do I start? You gentlemen are quick to help, how refreshing. Ed Tinker you are correct the magazine is not correct, I knew that from the serial # but it does look nice with this luger. Thanks Ed. Croluger my father would never say how he acquired it; quite frankly he never wanted to talk about those days at all. Thanks Croluger. Ron Smith, I'm not surprised all documentation is destroyed but I had to ask. The link you sent me to the other 1940 "42" is definitely a sweet luger. My father said that his buddies and himself shoot off all the rounds then he cleaned it put it in its holster and that’s where it’s been till today. I plan on shooting it for the first time in 64 years this Saturday. Thanks Ron. Frank I don't know how you new it was made in December but I don't doubt you for a second, Thanks Frank. John Sabato I will do a little research on who was in that area. Unfortunately I don't know the exact area I only know near the town of Noville, ( East, West, North, South ) ? My father was assigned to the 567 AAA (AW) Battalion. I know they pulled off their assignment and joined up with General Patton to stop the offensive of the German Army. My father passed away a couple of years ago so I will not be able to learn any more about it. Thanks Ron and again THANK YOU ALL. Rich
Unread 08-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
RJC
User

Default magazine

The magazine with this gun ( which is incorrect ) has a walnut grip with the # 4396 is there any way with this number to tell what luger it came from?
Unread 08-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,139 Times in 1,689 Posts

If the wood base has only the serial number and no other markings, it is in all probablity from a WWI DWM military.
Unread 08-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
RJC
User

Default old

thanks ron I thing WWI it looks very old, not a repo.
Unread 08-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
GerColctor
User

It is quite common for Lugers to have mismatched mags, that is why those with matching mags in similar condition are valued considerable higher.

Nice family heirloom, with a direct connection with your father's military service. I would never sell it.

Joe
Unread 08-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #12
RJC
User

Default third generation

I couldn't agree with more Joe. This one will go to my son some day.
Unread 08-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #13
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Rich,

For those of us that like the details and because there is little or no data from the Mauser Factory (they were destroyed) we had to improvise.

If you collect enough data from your friends, gun shows and books, you then know the approximate beginning and ending serial numbers. From these serial numbers, one can estimate the number of Lugers produced for a given year and also any sub-variation. Then I assume a uniform production schedule and determine the month the pistol was produced.

Lots of work to accumulate the data, but worthwhile.

Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Frank for your post:
Unread 08-12-2009, 02:18 AM   #14
Quentin
User

Frank, it's amazing how much you know about these Mausers!
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote