LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 05-17-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts
Default Test Luger on GB

I noticed this on GB, and would like other's opinions regarding this 1900 AE. Does anyone think that this is an original gun?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=129277526

DJU
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

That is a neat gun and looks like it has the proper attributes from the photos. It was on GB in August of last year for $16,000. If that is a "factory original finish" then I am a 16 year-old track star. Of course it doesn't say what factory tho, so perhaps Waffenfabrik USA is the factory they are referring to.

Last edited by Ron Wood; 05-19-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Ron Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
Mike B
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

There are members on the forum with a lot more knowledge about test Lugers than I have, but this serial number is not in the range of known test eagles. Besides it looks a bit too new to have gone through the rigors of testing.

Mike
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso

The Bannerman purchase included 7108 and 7147. Bodes well for 7110 to be in line as a test gun, but lacks a Bannerman pedigree.
Unread 05-18-2009, 04:00 AM   #5
Imperial Arms
Banned

The location of the serial number on the takedown lever (leftside) is wrong, so this pistol falls short from a genuine US Test Luger.

Albert
Imperial Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 05:03 AM   #6
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

The takedown is what caught my eye. And also the overall condition. Could one possibly survive for 110 years and look that good? (I'm sure I won't.) Even in museum conditions I would expect to see some "age", particularly on the strawing.
DJU
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

Its a very nice restoration, too nice...

When the finish is nicer than an original AE, well, thats a shame.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
PhilOhio
User

I wonder if P. T. Barnum is up there, lounging on a cloud, peering over the edge, smiling, tracking this auction...
PhilOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Albert,
The placement of the serial number on the takedown lever is correct. Both 7108 and 7147 are surviving test trial examples from the Bannerman purchase and the takedown lever is numbered on the left flat on both of them.
Unread 05-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
Imperial Arms
Banned

Hello Ron,

Over the years, I have moved away from those 'defined' serial ranges mentioned in various books, especially those relating to the Mauser C96. As I continue to examine more guns in my hands in various countries of the world which gives me the opportunity to increase my expertise, these 'outside' guns are allowing me to make some exceptions to the rule. These exceptions which I consider and accept are not made based on the discovery of only one pistol, but at least three which must be genuine/original.

In regards to the US Test Trials Luger being discussed in this topic, it is very likely that it has been professionally restored (and a damn good one), so this pistol in my opinion cannot be classified as an 'exception' when comparing it to Bannerman records. If the Bannerman records state that the pistols 7108 and 7149 are Test Lugers, then the next story we will hear is that there were 39 additional pistols purchased by Bannerman from the US Government.

In a previous discussion on the serial range of the US Test Trial pistols (including their characteristics), I continue to notice that controversary still exists on the subject of the true serial range and I would not classify those pistols that fall outside the 6100-7100 serial range by 10-20 numbers as true US Trial Lugers, especially when some details are not specific such as serial number location on the takedown lever.

If I was going to spend $14k on a US Test Trials Luger, I would want it to be in the 6100-7100 serial range as well as having the EXACT characteristics of a true US Trials Luger. If other collectors wish to gamble against these strong facts, that is their freedom of choice.

Albert
Unread 05-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

Albert, unless you disagree with the newest information supplied in Central Powers, the actual range is the Bannerman range, NOT 6100-7100...

I beleive the point is that unless a document is found that states that DWM sent sn's 6100-7100 (or even a mixture of numbers from xxxx to xxxx equaling a 1,000 lugers); the best data is the lugers actually sold and documented by the US gov't to Banner; which has listed sn's.

Any lugers outside of the Bannerman listing is an "exception"; a possibility, not a probability.

The quote from Jan Still's website:

Quote:
In 1905-1907 the Springfield Armory called in most of the M1900 Test Lugers; 770 were sold to Francis Bannerman and Co. at public auction (in about 1910). Reportedly, some of the Lugers did not survive the tests and were destroyed by the Army. The reported serial range for these 770 Lugers purchased by Bannerman are 6167-96, 6282, 6361-7108, and 7147. Kenyon, Costanzo, and Reese report a serial range of 6100 to 7100. In 1910 the Springfield Armory reported 321 Lugers in 7.65 mm repaired. In 1911 the Rock Island Arsenal reported 306 Lugers in 7.65 mm repaired (Scott Meadows, U.S. Military Automatic Pistols, 1993, page 386). Copyright Jan C Still
This shows 330 lugers "missing"; were these sold, destroyed, canibalized, or stolen. My SWAG is that a percentage were stolen, a percentage were given away as gifts, and a percentage were canibilized / destroyed. From most to least n that order. But that is just an educated guess. It is hard for me to beleive that 330 were so damaged they were destroyed as that is a 33% destruction rate and they were being tested by solders, not tested for proof loads...

PS: I like your 6100-7100 as I own one right in the mid 6000's and sold one to a friend in that range too

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #12
Imperial Arms
Banned

When we start to combine various sources of information (including those remaining US Test Trials Lugers purchased by Bannerman), I suppose that it 'puts a spin' on the reported serial range! Does it start at pistol #6167 or lower - how much lower - is the pistol #6100 the beginning of the Trial Lugers etc....?

The next questions are - where does it end - at 7100 - or 7108 - stretch it higher to 7147 - exactly how many deliveries were made to the US Government - where they sequential, or only sequential up to a certain number and the last delivered batch containing pistols with random numbers until #7147. If we assume that pistol #7108 could be the last delivered pistol (excluding #7147 because it falls at a distance outside the circle), then is #7110 in or out of the game (putting aside that it has been likely restored)?

I am curious to know what is the lowest and hightest serial number for each US Test Trial Luger that meet the true characteristics of a Trial pistol (i.e. correct placement of the serial number locations).

I also like the 6100-7100 serial range with pistols having the characteristics of a true US Test Trials Luger - those other pistols in the 'grey zone' tend to tickle my funny bone.

Albert
Unread 05-22-2009, 03:49 AM   #13
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Albert,

The points of your questions are well taken, and unfortunately we will probably never know the facts.

One of the results of my Commercial serial number studies is that the conventional wisdom concerning Test Eagles is misinformation, and there is, in fact, no single set of "true characteristics" which define the U.S. Test Eagles.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2009, 09:52 AM   #14
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Having read most of the published info on the M1900 US test eagles, it's my opinion, that the rejects from the 6100-7100 range, were replaced with a like number, perhaps up to 100 and not consecutive, from later commerical production. So any attempt to expand the accepted test range as being consecutive is frought will problems. The only true authentication of pistols in the "gray zone" would be if further field test reports surface in the future. TH
Unread 05-22-2009, 07:28 PM   #15
Imperial Arms
Banned

Hello Tom & Dwight,

In view of the fact that we will never know whether the pistols outside the 6100-7100 are actual correct US Test Lugers, many of us will remain with uncertainities and doubts while some other collectors will be prepared to take a gamble with those pistols in the 'grey-area'.

I guess that at the end of the day, it is possible that how much money a collector is willing to pay for a 'grey' US Test Luger will determine if it is acceptable or not. For the purpose of my 'comfort' and satisfaction, I would prefer to buy a US Trials Luger in the theorical serial range and the correct features. Some collectors like contraversy whereas I like my peace of mind when I decide to spend plenty of money for an expensive pistol. It is all about how deep you are willing to swim from the shore and what feeds underneath.

Albert
Unread 05-23-2009, 03:55 AM   #16
LugerVern
User

I like reading the reviews and comments, always learn something.

AE Test guns are way out of my area but I did notice a couple of things of interest that maybe someone could comment on.

The indent on the safety is very small, is this of concern?

I also don't really like the crest:
The head looks a bit wrong to me: "beak, eyes and front of the neck".
The top of the shield looks smooth.
Also, if you follow the top edge of the right wing ( as your looking at it) down to the shield you will notice that it makes a sharp 90 degree downward turn.

This may all be glare from a camera flash, be carfull my friends.

Vern
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AE_GB_COMP.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	6425  

LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #17
PhilOhio
User

I doubt that any firearms markings or currency authentication expert would need much time to study the stamping on the left, above, before reaching his conclusion. Too many things jump right out at you. LugerVern mentions a couple.

Having the genuine article for comparison usually makes it easy, except when the forger is a real pro. If there are small but distinctive irregularities in the original, they should also appear on the marking in question. If there was symmetry and perfection in certain features of the original, the same should be true of the marking under study.

Take a look at the lack of parallel alignment of vertical stripes on the shield in the left photo. Compare it with the photo on the right. Anybody need more time to deliberate?

People who represent rare and valuable things, on the Internet, as being genuine should assume that not all their viewers are yard sale browsers who will only take a quick look from three feet away.

With no bona fide exemplar for comparison, and quickly viewing it from a distance, the effort on the left is not all that bad.
PhilOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2009, 11:11 AM   #18
alvin
User

I had to return a little bit more than 1/3 of guns acquired remotely, for various kinds of problems. What's average statistics? (Don't worry, all C96, no Lugers so far )
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #19
LugerVern
User

I think Ed said it best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
Its a very nice restoration, too nice...

When the finish is nicer than an original AE, well, that's a shame.

Ed
Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #20
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Over the course of American Eagle production more than one die was used, each differing slightly in detail. There are some comparison photos in a past discussion either here or on Jan Still's Forum; I don't have time right now to search and cite the link.

To be confident in the identification, one would need to compare eagle stamps on guns which are close to each other in serial number range.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote