LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 03-07-2008, 02:29 AM   #1
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Please Recommend a Rig and Magazines

I would be very thankful for any advice on, or pointers to, original or best quality replica accessories to complete this 1917 LP08, and reliable magazines for shooting it.

Unread 03-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

Quote:
I would be very thankful for any advice on, or pointers to, original or best quality replica accessories to complete this 1917 LP08, and reliable magazines for shooting it.
I would use Luger magazines and holsters designed for luger artillery guns, I have found that the 4 inch ones are a very tight fit.

Michael, suggest the DDR mags for relaibility, Mecgar are good, triple Kwork well, in that order.

Holster, buy a not in the best shape original one for it, you'll be much happier than a sucky repro.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Ed, thanks for your response. A couple of follow-up questions:

1. Aren't DDR magazines made for the regular P08?

2. What is the least sucky repro?
Unread 03-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Michael,

Magazines for Lugers are completely interchangeable between models. Both 7.65 (.30 caliber) and 9MM Luger cartridges use the same magazines.

If you are asking about Trommelmagazines (Snail Drum)... to my knowledge there have been no reproductions that function made... Back in the 1970's a couple of non-gun display gun manufacturers in Japan made some reproduction snail drum magazines, but they are NOT functional with real Lugers, they only look like snail drum magazines.

The Mec-Gar magazines are the best aftermarket Luger magazines... I dpersonally don't care for the quality of the KKK mags.

The DDR mags are fine magazines and will give years of service if you can find them.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
Big Norm
RIP

Michael,
John S. is right. But if you are looking for a snail drum, make sure that it conforms to California law. I THINK that California restricts the number bullets that any magazine will hold. It doesn't matter if you actually plan to fully load/use it.

You probably won't fully load it anyway. The spring gets pretty tight when you really load it up. After a just so many bullets, you would need to have a loading tool. If there is a slight dent in it, the following bullets will just jam in there. Then you would have to really work to get the remaining ammo out before storing. So a Trommel magazine and its loading tool would probably be just for display. But it, along with a stock, sure makes an artillery look great. Very maucho.

Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanks to John Sabato and Big Norm for their comments. I have used Mec-Gar aftermarket magazines in the Luger and OEM magazines in early SIG P210, and remain very pleased with their quality. It is indeed unlawful to buy or sell a Trommelmagazine in California. Some people get around the 10 round magazine capacity restriction by disassembling a complete magazine and selling it as "spare parts" or a "magazine repair kit". I wouldn't want to provoke CA DOJ in this fashion.

Barring a complete matching rig, I would rather get good modern reproductions of the stock and its accessories. What is the best source for these items?
Unread 03-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #7
Big Norm
RIP

Michael,
after looking at you great looking artillery, I noticed that you have an early 1917 artillery with adjusting front and, maybe, rear sight. Be careful using an adjusting tool. Most, if not all, adjusting tools have prongs on them that are made of brass. Brass is a soft metal and breaks easily. Instead of spending $60+ bucks on an authentic adjusting tool, buy an old screw driver at a garage sale and make your own. Not a hard trick.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #8
the gunman
User

Hate to say it but CMR REPO rigs out of england are about the best of the "WURST" and priced fair for there product.
the gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2008, 01:19 AM   #9
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Yes, the rear sight adjusts:

More pictures here.

I tried CMR, but they were out of stock on some parts. I suspect that I can get Josh Bulman, if not El Paso Saddlery, to do a bang-up job on the leather for the same price.