LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 02-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
Went Blakely
User

Default Good buy or overpriced

Hi all, long time luger admirer, first time forum poster! decided it was finally time to start a decent collection of these admirable pieces and thought i might start the ball rolling with a nice quality original holster. anyhoo, what i'm wondering is, does this seem overpriced to anyone? what do these year model, and that particular maker model usually go for? is there a particular manufacturer, that is dubbed the supreme, or more sought after varients? any help appreciated, im quite a beginner when it comes to these things and from what ive read here recently, some of you folk are bloody amazing when it comes to picking/spotting/identifying things.
cheers Blake
http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-German-...QQcmdZViewItem
Went Blakely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Ron Smith
User

Hi Blake,

Welcome to the Merry Madness. That holster is priced at about the maximum. It's a very nice holster. Do you know yet what era or variation of Luger that you are going to collect?

The best thing to do is to spend the price of a nice Luger on the best books that you can find and study, study study. It could save you the price of several nice Lugers in the long run. However, until then don't hesitate to ask questions. We'll be glad to help in any way. Just be sure to ask in advance. We hate having to inform someone that they should have asked first.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,533 Times in 944 Posts

Blake
Welcome to the Forum. Couldn't agree with Ron more. Decide what you want to collect, study, study and then buy. People on this forum will help anytime. Just remember lugers are addictive. Bill
Unread 02-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,106 Times in 1,429 Posts

Ron & Bill have given you good advice. Most people don't take it however and instead of that 100 dollar book they should have bought, like Bender's Luger Holsters & Accesories, they squander their money on a Luger holster.
I am not in love with this holster for three reasons. On a closeup of the buckle assembly you can see the leather surface is cracked and checked. I like them smooth.
The right belt loop looks to be original but it is sewn on crookedly.
The knot on the pull-up strap is either coming off or is not altogether. Something is haywire with it.
Like these experienced collectors have told you...Buy a book or two first. Have patience. Look at the details and buy the best you can afford. I have noticed all of the top quality Luger items in the last decade have only gone up in price.
Now... start looking at books...
Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
Went Blakely
User

cheers for the info fellas', definetely taken in! im certainly not planning on jumping right in and am intent to find out as much as i can before buying, so will definetely grab a book or two to study. any info on a book also detailing all the actual lugers, not just their holsters and accesories, or does that book contain the lot? in a perfect world, i'd love to start a collection based solely off the WW2 era Mausers' as ive really taken a certain interest and liking to them, but it seems the price of them may stretch my funds abit too much, if i want a halfway decent example anyway. so i'm also checking out a few 1912-18 military erfurts, as they seem to be alot better priced for more stunning examples.
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #6
Ron Smith
User

The Nazi mystique tends to attract more attention, therefore higher prices.

If you can get a copy of Third Reich Lugers by Jan Still it will be the best. Be prepared for sticker shock. Once his books go out of print, the prices go way up. They will show up on eBay and at military book seller's sites.

Jan's new book is available from him directly. It covers WWI Imperial Lugers as well as most other Central Powers pistols. An excellent book for reference.

http://luger.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13791

Ron

Unread 02-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
Went Blakely
User

exactly why i'm interested them too i suppose heh! thanks mate will check them out
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #8
Went Blakely
User

Hello again all. Well i've finally tracked down Jan Still's Third Reich Lugers on ebay, so i'm going to start researching and really doing my homework! i also got another recentish book by Aaron Davis. Nowhere near as good as Jan's im told, but an ok quick reference nonetheless. Anywho, my brother purchased a holster the other day and am interested to know its authenticity, or lack thereof. I tried to talk him out of it, until at least i saw some pictures. He insisted, real or not, it would still be a cool display piece for his WW2 collection. After 15 minutes of discussion got me nowhere, i gave up, fair enough i thought. his money, not mine, and it was cheap enough....i guess. He bought it on my ebay account, so low and behold, today it rocks up on my doorstep. it does appear to be old - yes, and used - yes, but lets say im surely questioning if its genuine, if it is, its had a rough life, and some restitching here and there on the flap. it has BERLIN, 39 on it, a number and then, an ever so teeny tiny, eagle - WaA 280, barely visible to the naked eye. he's a happy camper. i stupidly forgot to write down the number and take some pictures, i'll get some when i go over there tonight. so far can anyone tell if a 280 is accurate for a Berlin 39?
Blake
Unread 03-10-2008, 11:34 PM   #9
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Blake, Going about determining authenticity from numbers is one way to do it I suppose although I have never been a big fan of that method.

Shoot up a photo of it and I will let you know post haste.

Another great book if you come accross it is Luger Holsters and their Accessories by Eugene Bender. Another is Benders Military Holsters.

Good luck!
Jerry Burney

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 03-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #10
Went Blakely
User

no worries Jerry, cheers for the help. I do need a holster book, still keeping my eyes peeled. Benders' one - how far does it go back, date wise, and is that just lugers or varied?
Here we go, got some snaps of it finally, just uploading them now. the number reads 71142

Unread 03-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
Ron Smith
User

Went,

I don't have the holster expertese that Jerry does, but I hope that your brother didn't pay much for this holster.

The markings are fake, the holster is Bulgarian made. It's worth maybe $25-$35. They are very common and recently dumped on the market in large quantity. The upside is that this one is in better condition than most I have seen, but still not worth much. Most are covered in a thick layer of rust red paint.

A perfect example of why books , photos and questions are very, very important prior to buying.

Ron

Unread 03-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #12
Navy
RIP

The tuition at Luger U. is expensive. Read, study, ask, learn. Leave your check book at home for at least the first half dozen luger shows you attend solo; if possible, recruit a graybearded mossback who has some time in the Luger chow line to accompany/advise you. Buy him many drinks afterwards.

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #13
Went Blakely
User

haha, that made me laugh ^, 'graybearded mossback'. too true however. I'm definately the type that takes advice on board, as i don't like wasting my hard earned on junk! By the way Tom, luger shows? If only we had the privelage! I doubt i'd even find a varied gun show here with our strict laws! A damned shame too!
Thanks also Ron, I definately thought my suspicions were correct. Nah he didn't pay much, all converted and shipped it added a bit, but it was peanuts compared to a decent one. How old do you think it really is? What kind of service/use do you think it saw? Photos are doing it a bit of justice, it's pretty alright condition, but the interior of it has been quite thrashed and well used.
Unread 03-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #14
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Went, My knowledgable collegues have beat me to the punch! Turn your back to work for a living and these neer do wells who have nothing better to do steal your thunder!
Tom, the Old Mossback he is describing is him..gave you excellent advice as did Ron. Tom has been instrumental in my Luger education over the years!

Unfortunately the holster your Brother aquired has little if any historical usage to it's credit. It is recently made if you consider 40 years ago recent. A cheap knockoff poorly made.

Holsters are one thing that might be left over from the giant gun grab perpetrated on the Citizenry of your country.
Run an ad in your local paper and see what might pop up...
Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 03-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #15
Went Blakely
User

Thanks Jerry, appreciate the help once again. Holsters may be left over, but im quite sure they are dear as poison. Checking over a militaria auction that went late last year, and i came across some german gear, on which the prices had to be seen, to be believed. try for eg, 700 dollars for a 'replica' luger. the exact same type you can buy off shelves for 90 bucks right now. Heck, even when they first came out here, my brother picked one up for about 200 i think it was. On a side note, the holster and rep luger do look pretty cool sitting beside each other in his display case.
But as i said it seems like a lost cause hunting for holsters here, that's why personally i gander around simpson, US ebay and here, just having a look around and seeing what might pop up. The patience is certainly worth it in my eyes.
Blake
Unread 03-13-2008, 03:07 PM   #16
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Went, Patience is a virtue, posses it if you can.. sometimes in a Woman..never in a Man.
Your right of course. Wait for a bargain. When it comes and you have done your homework..POUNCE!
Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)