LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 08-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #1
moosehead4355
User

Default Navy luger conversion?

Wow this is a great site, and very informative. I am new to the world of the Luger, but I can see the infection is already spreading. So here's a question for those that know more than me. I really like the looks of the long barelled Lugers but I can't afford one at this time. I have a line on a reproduction Navy barrel and a 1918 upper with an attached 4" barrel, would it make sense to have the Navy barrel installed on the 1918 upper and then have that "new" upper fitted to my 1937 S/42? I think I can get the barrel and upper for about $200.00 to $225.00, now i'll still need to get the rest of the upper parts including the toggle and pay to have the whole mess put together. Am I going to be spending more than I can find a decent Navy "Shooter" for? And if is feasible, would I beable to switch uppers back and forth on my S/42 Lower Frame?
And Last but not least, a VERY BIG THANK YOU to anyone willing to take the time to read through this whole convoluted mess.
Jim
moosehead4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2007, 01:03 AM   #2
Hugh
RIP

Jim,

email me at hhclark@wildblue.net, I may be able to help you.
Hugh
Unread 08-12-2007, 01:45 AM   #3
LugerVern
User

Jim

I have a couple of questions for you?
Are you going to purchase a Navy rear sight or use standard sights?
Your Navy barrel sight and rear sight must be of matching configurations. (high/low)
Do you have a person who can install your barrel for you and set your headspacing? Ask for a price quote before you go down this road.
Long barrel, higher gas pressures, I recommend new springs.

I donâ??t know about mixing uppers, between DWM & Mauser, I have never done it; I will let the other members talk about this more.

This is the cheapest rout but barrel installation can be tricky, make sure you pick someone who has done it before or you will get unpleasant results.

I would personally look for a complete Mauser upper and then install my 6 inch barrel, everything would then match up with your lower receiver and might make it easier to sale if you ever decided to part with it.

You might place WTB add here on the forum, and get your upper here instead of somewhere else, there are some real problems out there that people are trying to sale and you donâ??t want to get caught up in them or your simple shooter project will turn into a big headache. Most people here wonâ??t deliberately set you up for failure.

We would like to see pictures of your completed project when youâ??re done, I would also like to see a report on your efforts to get it to shoot point of aim. There are different front sight heights that can be had to make elevation changes, just ask if you find yourself in that situation.

Vern

Oh, I see Hugh beat me to the punch, your already in good hands!
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2007, 09:30 AM   #4
moosehead4355
User

Thanks for the replies guys, this looks like it's more complicated than I thought. Vern, you bring up some excellent points that I had not thought of. I think I may be better off finding a decent shooter in the configuration I want rather than going the conversion route.
Hugh, I'll send an e-mail when I get home tonight

Jim
Unread 08-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #5
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Jim, As has been meniioned above, you should decide first if you just want a long barrelled (low front sight based) barrel installed for around $200 (barrel, blue unblued Sarco barrel and installation) shooter or the more authentic looking Navy with high front sight base with adjustable 2 position Navy type rear toggle/sight. I can supply these parts starting @$300 or install them without refinishing for an additional $200. hellerarms@webtv.net
Unread 08-13-2007, 07:01 PM   #6
moosehead4355
User

Well, after some thought I've decided to either find an affordable Navy shooter or a complete but not matching 4" shooter to then have converted by one of these fine gentlemen above. If I'm going to spend the money I might as well get it with the proper rear sight as well, This is starting to add up.
Thanks again,
Jim
Unread 08-14-2007, 12:08 AM   #7
pipeman45
User

From my personal experience. Both Hugh and Lugerdoc can get your project on track. They helped me with a shooter navy. Hugh supplied most of the parts and did the assembly and Lugerdoc supplied the rear sight. It's now my favorite shooter.
BTW don't let them know I think their prices were very reasonable. Don't want them to get a swelled head or to spoil a good thing!!!