LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 04-16-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
davidkachel
User

Default And yet again...

Here we go again. Had to happen sooner or later. 33 killed and a couple dozen more wounded today in Virginia. The left is jumping for joy. How long will it take the gun grabbers to blame it on the guns? I figure 48 hours tops.

With a democratic congress and the likes of Boxer, Feinstein, Pelosi and Clinton (Hillary) in power we can expect draconian anti-gun legislation in the very near future. I get so tired of this. It's been going on for nearly 50 years. I wonder why when these women get a flat tire they don't try to ban pavement?
Whoever this nutcase was, he was certainly able to kill all of those people because his mags held 15 rounds instead of 10, or because guns were allowed on campus, or because he could have bought the guns at a gun show, or because he only had to pass a background check and not wait two weeks... yadda, yadda, yadda ad infinitum.

Just once I wish a mass murderer would use a golf club! (Original sentence occupying this space deleted due to concern voiced by friends as well as my own quite valid fear that speech is no longer "free" if not sanctioned by Federal authorities and that said authorities might break down my door and drag me away for making comments not approved by our democratically elected government.)
Unread 04-16-2007, 10:40 PM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

I would delete that last sentence if I were you. It obviously is ment in jest but can be taken seriously, particularly for a presidential candidate.
Unread 04-16-2007, 11:14 PM   #3
policeluger
RIP

David, do you really believe anyone in America is "jumpimg for joy" tonight, a very callus remark....
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2007, 11:57 PM   #4
davidkachel
User

Ron,

Perhaps you remember a time in this country when one could say anything he wanted to and not have to worry about the brown shirts showing up.
Do you realize you just advised me to be careful what I say or "they" may come for me?
The really sad thing is that your advice is sound.
What have we come to?!
Unread 04-17-2007, 12:04 AM   #5
davidkachel
User

Policeluger,

Do you really believe the people in this country who have devoted their lives to taking away your constitutional rights are not jumping for joy? I'm not callous. I'm experienced.
Unread 04-17-2007, 12:35 AM   #6
policeluger
RIP

Your neither experienced nor caring....I will admit a new gun law flood gate is opening, but jumping for joy over the death of these fine young people...deletes you from my list of LF favorites.
Unread 04-17-2007, 01:06 AM   #7
shadow
User

I certanly hope that no one is jumping for joy. If so they need serious help.
But you do have to admit that the anti gunners are going to use this masicre as a rallying cry to ban more guns.

The Brady Bunch didn't waste any time making a statement.

I understand this was up on thier site by early afternoon.

News Release
Nation Again Grieves Over A Tragedy "Of Monumental Proportions"

For Immediate Release:
04-16-2007

Contact Communications:
(202) 898-0792

Blacksburg, VA ΓΆ?? Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, issued the following statement:

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the Virginia Tech University community, and to the families of the victims of what appears to be one of the worst mass shootings in American history.

"Details are still forthcoming about what motivated the shooter in this case to act, and how he was able to arm himself. It is well known, however, how easy it is for an individual to get powerful weapons in our country.

"Eight years ago this week, the young people in Littleton, Colorado suffered a horrible attack at Columbine High School, and almost exactly six months ago, five young people were killed at an Amish schoolhouse in Pennsylvania. Since these killings, we've done nothing as a country to end gun violence in our schools and communities. If anything, we've made it easier to access powerful weapons.

"We have now seen another horrible tragedy that will never be forgotten. It is long overdue for us to take some common-sense actions to prevent tragedies like this from continuing to occur."
Unread 04-17-2007, 01:36 AM   #8
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts

It is long overdue for us to take some common-sense actions to prevent tragedies like this from continuing to occur."

If these people truly know how such tradgedies can be prevented I wish they would say so....

If guns kill people, pens make you mispell words and spoons make you fat.
There is no way to prevent a dedicated killer from injuring and killing if he is determined to accomplish his task, even sacrifice his own life. This has been proven many thousands of times in Israel and Iraq as well as other countries. You may be able to slow it down but you cannot stop it.
The sooner we come to this realization the better we will be able to deal with it. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2007, 01:56 AM   #9
policeluger
RIP

Chris/Jerry....well said
Unread 04-17-2007, 08:22 AM   #10
davidkachel
User

policeluger,

I think perhaps you have misunderstood me. I am as saddened by yesterday's senseless tragedy as you.
My "jumping for joy" comment was in reference to those people who eagerly await such events in order to take advantage of them for purposes of further shredding the Constitution.
If I am wrong, then why have they already begun making public statements pushing for new gun laws?
Unread 04-17-2007, 08:52 AM   #11
Ron Smith
User

I just heard former FBI Profiler Clint Van Zant say something interesting on the morning news. When asked "Why do these incidents happen at schools?" He said, "These are cowardly acts. The shooters are cowardly weak people who are looking for a target rich environment. And know that their victims won't have the ability to offer any form of defense. They have nothing to fear"

Howard,

Dave's "Jumping for Joy" comment was, I'm sure, offered in a figurative, not literal sense. The anti's are already screaming on the news.
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #12
Brownie
User

An observation: One thing I noticed in the early coverage of the Virginia Tech tragedy is that some media was already critisizing the school administration for not evacuating the campus after the first shooting. It seems that when a tragedy occurs, logic is perverted in order to find an official to blame. This same logic was used to question the school administrators at Enterprise, AL for not moving the kids when a tornado approached; the Katrina affair; etc. These incidences are not predictible in specific detail. The school officials, LEO's and others on the scene are NOT omniscient and are NOT the bad guys.

As Ron pointed out in the post above, it ironically may have been gun control laws that made the situation easier for the perp. Just as at Columbine HS, the shooter knew with a high degree of confidence that his victims were not packing and were therefore defenseless.

These terrible things unfortunately happen. There were already laws on the books against murder. They didn't stop this shooter.

My prayers go out to everyone touched in Blacksburg.

Jim
Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2007, 10:28 AM   #13
davidkachel
User

Brownie is right. My own wife was spewing this silly nonsense this morning. We have become a country of blamers. We always want to blame somebody. Oddly, we never blame the shooter. We always want to blame the gun, the police, the school officials, the shooter's parents, the shooter's dog...
1. Evil people do horrible things to innocent people.
2. The world will never run out of evil people.
3. "We must do something to make sure this never happens again" is one of the stupidest statements I can think of.
Unread 04-17-2007, 11:51 AM   #14
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Blame for Officials is forthcoming because they are what's left to blame. The shooter is gone from our wrath, dead. Since he is beyond our reach our frustration must find another avenue. One would think that with the millions, nay billions spent on preparedness for Homeland security the local campus Police would have been a little more on the ball. If this was not an exercise in counter terrorism, what was. This is an example of how truely vulnarable we are as an open society. If terrorists wished to use this as an example of how to strike in individual cells, we would see this happening on a weekly basis. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 04-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #15
davidkachel
User

Jerry,

No doubt Osama and pals are paying close attention to this one. If they didn't know before, they will certainly know from this that large congregations of easily accessible and mostly timid citizens are forced to remain defenseless by idiotic university rules on campuses across the country. It angers me to know how drastically different the outcome could have been had just one armed citizen been at hand.
I think the people who thought it was such a good idea to ban weapons on that particular college campus should have to meet and explain themselves to everyone who would have been carrying a weapon that day were it not for the ban and who had potential access to the shooter.
Unread 04-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #16
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

David,
I think the people who thought it was such a good idea to ban weapons on that particular college campus should have to meet and explain themselves to everyone who would have been carrying a weapon that day were it not for the ban and who had potential access to the shooter.

This is a good example of how laws are meant for those who wish to obay them. A good lock only keeps out honest people.

The ban on concealed carry at this institution, like anywhere there is a gun ban, insured the shooter free reign to murder at will without fear. Even locking the doors to keep out help from Police.

There was a law enforcement officer at Luby's at the shooting there who had left her pistol in her glove compartment. If she had had it, many lives including her parents could have been saved.

When will we wake up and quit wishing and hoping but do something? An armed populace is a polite populace.
Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 04-17-2007, 04:17 PM   #17
davidkachel
User

Jerry,
No one is going to wake up until the leftists, with tons of cooperation from the media, stop demonizing weapons and stop preaching [moronic hippie voice on] "peace love and harmony" [moronic hippie voice off] and submissive attitudes.
I just cannot fathom how anyone can be so naive and stupid as to think "well, we'll just throw away all our means of defense and then all the even people in the world will throw down their weapons and start picking flowers instead". It just grates on my nerves.
I wonder how this cowardly SOB, whoever he was, would have fared if he tried the same stunt at a gun show!