LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 04-08-2007, 09:54 PM   #1
cohutt
New User

Default Help please,(another) Nickel Plated Luger

Hello all-

New to Lugers and obviously new to this board.

Friend/neighbor does estate liquidations, knows i own a few guns, reload, cast etc and mentioned an upcoming estate had two guns. She wondered if I had any idea of the values.
She was most curious about the the 1939 plated luger ( other was 38 revolver zzzzzzzzz.....)
I told her i knew little of Lugers other than plating effectively kills off any collectible premium.
She brought the gun by and here is the best i can do as far as description, (digi camera got hijacked by daughter today when she went back to school):

Plated 1939 Luger, 4" barrel, average refiunished grips no cracks. Plating job is a good one, at least as good or better than most aftermarket ones I have seen.
Markings:
Mauser "42" on top-
Proofs - the triple Mauser proofs as shown in proof #47 in technical information pages. Also has the TINY proof on the breechlock matching the 3rd proof on barrel.
Serials- "9x58" with matching "58" on all the marked parts i could see without dissassembling.
Bore- appears to be in good condition- no visible pitting
Breech/bolt(?) face - good, no corrosion or pitting
Some nicks @ crown.
One mag
Gun was said to be functional and was kept loaded for home defense. Action was a little stiff in cocking first time or two but loosened up considerably. No rust, corrosion anywhere. By all appearances I see no reason to think it has any cycling issues.

No collector's pistol, what's it worth as a novelty shooter in good shape?
BH in GA
cohutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
Quentin
User

Too bad your camera wasn't handy, think you can get pictures of it later?

I'm new here so I'll just repeat what I've heard so far, a decent shooter can go for $650 on up. Probably depends on the buyer here, some would pay a premium for that finish but most of us would pass that one by to get something more interesting. Matching part numbers may help but like you said the plating defeats the collectability anyway.

I'm sure someone who has a bit more experience will have much to add to this...
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 05:24 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

My experience has shown that a nickle plated / chrome plated goes for around $100 less than the same model type that is mismatched or reblued. So, say one as a shooter is worth $550-$700, then deduct a $100 from it.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote