LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 03-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #1
HardBaller
User

Default Ammo Change or ?????

Gents,

Trying out a refinished 1917 Arty the other night and experienced a few problems. Using "Monarch" brand Russian cheapie ammo and had no access to Winchester whitebox which I would normally try first.

Gun is newly back from a well know restorer and has extremely stiff springs. Toggle action is EXTREMELY stiff to pull up and closes very quickly (comparing to a 1918/20 Double Date I recently got in a trade that fires just fine). Using new Mecgar mags. Arty had trouble feeding in that the bullet was being jammed into upper area of chamber. Or, if feeding was completed, it stovepiped on firing. Could only get 2-3 shots out at a time before one or the other problem developed. Occurred with two new Mecgars and original mag(s) as well.

Will be back with the owner later this week as I am attempting a swap on this gun and am interested but, other than attempting ammo change or reloading specifically for this gun, what else might be the matter? And what should I look for?

Please accept thanks in advance for any and all help rendered to a newbie.

Tim
Unread 03-24-2007, 12:57 AM   #2
Sieger
User

Default Luger Malfunctions

Hi:

Your first call should be to the restorer. They should be able to explain how the Luger was set-up.

A few things you are telling us are a bit confusing to me.

An Artillery should be sprung lighter than a 4 inch Luger, because the mass the discharge is moving around is heavier.

I wouldn't expect Russian steel case cheapie stuff to properly operate a finely tuned instrument like a Luger, a forgiving P-38 perhaps, but not a P-08.

The jam you are explaining is the typical Luger jam. Your magazine and main springs are not in "timing" with the load you are shooting.

Again, you should contact the restorer for an explanation.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote