LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 03-20-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
MarkC
User

Default KM Radom A5960 Warning

I personally examined this gun today, it is being sold at the Amoskeag auction on March 24th. The magazine has the "N" navy property marking engraved on the base with an e/189 stamping on the toe !!!

Need I say more?

If you plan to bid on it you might want to email me Mark@p38guns.com

Mark
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
MarkC
User

Well guys I just got back from the auction and the pistol described above sold for over $5,000.00 with the buyer premium. I was also pulled aside by one of the auctioneers and needed a talking to about my previous post. They didn't like me talking about that gun.

I had received a few emails regarding my thoughts on the pistol and a member of this forum, who's email address I won't post, sent the company a private email I sent to him regarding my opinion on the gun with 4 main points.

OK .... so lets get this strait, a private email is my opinion ... What I did post on a public forum is a FACT .... the mag that was in that pistol is a late war mag with the e/189 acceptance stamp on it. These mags show up when the two lever guns came out. This is a FACT ... An early war gun with a NAVY marking on it will not have this mag in it. ... When I asked the auctioneer about this FACT he said that perhaps the mag was a replacement and someone might have stamped an "N" on to make it match ..... Isn't that "boosting"?

I challenge the individual who sent my email to the auction company to have an open discussion about why they think an e/189 with a Navy marking is correct for an early war gun.

In fact, if I ever post something and you want to challenge me on it we can have a debate. This is an open forum where we all try to learn from the group experiences ..... I can also support my statement about this mag, so if you want to take me on, let's go....

Sorry to rant guys but I have owned my own business since 1991 and don't need anyone telling me what I should do and I really don't need any 5th graders telling the "teacher" on me in a note about my attitude and then having to put up with a lecture after "class" is over.

I really like the guys at the auction company, I find them to be honest, hardworking and very helpful. They really have a great reputation and in no way do I want this post to dissuade anyone from bidding on any items they ever have for sale. I spent over 3 grand on 4 very nice pistols today, they have really good stuff and I am happy with what I got.

I would encourage anyone attending a live auction to examine the items you are going to bid on for your self, buy books and learn about what you are seeing.

Mark
Unread 03-24-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

You are correct about magazine. The navy marking and e/189 do not go together. One of the other had to be added. Since the adding of the e/189 would not increase value, then it is the other marking. Calling it Boosting is a polite term.

Since the mag has had help, then there is a question as to the pistol itself --- especially considering that the serial number for the pistol is not in or near the range given in Still's Axis Pistols. In fact it is far away from the other number. Possible of course, but one can wonder.
Unread 03-24-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
MarkC
User

I again challange the guy who sent my email to the the auction company to produce any information as to why this mag is correct.

My gun serial number A2332 N56 was owned by Tom Knox and sold to Doug Smith who sold me the gun from his private collection. See page 183 of Jan Still's "AXIS PISTOLS" it is listed by serial number.

I brought this pistol to NH and had it side by side with the gun in question. All I can say is that the late war mag with a Navy marking on it is not correct. ... and the grip strap had the same exact "N" marking on it as the mag.

The other issues on the gun can be debated with me via email.

mark@p38guns.com

Mark