LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 03-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
tony k
User

Default Correct tool, holster for American Eagle?

Hello again, guys! I'm been away (offline and at other forums) for so long, I hope someone still remembers me.

I'm back on a sad mission: A family member -- the one who first taught me to shoot, long ago -- has passed, and I'm helping find new homes for his guns.

His pride and joy was a 1906 .30 American Eagle Luger, SN 30366. I'll be posting pix of the Luger itself sometime soon, asking for your help in figuring out what it's worth.

In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out who made the loading tool and holster that are with it, and if they are correct for a 1906.

Here's the marking on the back of the brown holster:

And here's the only proof mark on the loading tool:

Any input or guidance would be appreciated.

And it's nice to be back!
tony k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Tony,

Welcome back, leavened with sorrow for your loss.

The hallmark on the holster represents the retailer Albrecht Kind. Sometimes you see them with the iniitials AK, rather than Akah (the German pronunciation of the two letters). They were not actually sattlers, but had their own manufacture suppliers.

I would expect that the holster is a bit too short for the .30 AE barrel. AK holsters are generally found for standard (1908) Lugers, very often as Police issue. Check the front to see if it has a buckle closure, or if the buckle and strap have been removed and replaced with a vertical strap-and-stud police-style closure. Also check to see if there is any kind of unit mark.

Can't tell you anything abut the tool, but I expect others will chime in.

Looking forward to pictures of the gun.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Tony, Your tool is dwe/63 Mauser military production from the 1935-1937 period. TH
Unread 03-13-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
tony k
User

Thanks, guys. Those are in keeping with the gun -- somewhere around here we have the original sales receipt, from when he bought it (in 1955, IIRC). While I was hoping they were contemporary to the AE itself, they are not that far off. The two mags that came with the rig are both alloy-bottomed, not wood, so I did not expect everything to be right out of 1906.

I hope to get time in the next couple of days to photograph the AE and the holster. I'll post 'em here asap.
tony k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2007, 09:01 AM   #5
thegundude
User

I, for one, look forward to seeing it...

I've been eyeing a few AEs over the past few months, trying to wrap my head around the variations and values. They tend to range so far between it's tough.

Sorry for your loss. I hope he lived a long and fruitful life...

And welcome back.

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 08:34 PM   #6
Pete Ebbink
User

Tony,

I would be inclinded to place a M1906 AE Luger with an American-made vintage holster...e.g. HH Heiser Co.

Here are a few of mine...all for 4-3/4" except for the longer 8" holster in the basket-weave pattern and a 6" holster with the floral pattern. :

Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 09:28 AM   #7
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

ERIC, MY deepest condolances, You both will live together, supported my happy memories and a common hobby.
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,938 Times in 1,196 Posts

Hi,

About AKAH.

Albrecht Kind is a large gun supplier and still exists today. The company was founded in 1853 by Albrecht Kind and he began as a dealer of mainly Belgian made hunting rifles. The company started production of leather goods for the hunting market in 1865 and they opened their own leather works in 1871.

The company was hit hard as a result of the second world war, losing both their Berlin and Neurenberg production facilities. The company relocated to Hunstig and the facilities in Neurenberg were rebuilt. They have produced their leatherworks in their own shops, as well as scope mounts, gunsmith tools and stocks and have retailed guns, ammunition, and assorted hunting equipment for more than 150 years, now.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 11:29 PM   #9
rolandtg
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ebbink
Tony,

I would be inclinded to place a M1906 AE Luger with an American-made vintage holster...e.g. HH Heiser Co.

Here are a few of mine...all for 4-3/4" except for the longer 8" holster in the basket-weave pattern and a 6" holster with the floral pattern. :
I wish someone would reproduce that plain flap holster.
I have a holster that is made for my Ruger MKII that looks almost identical to that one except it's open at the bottom.
rolandtg is offline   Reply With Quote