LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 10-02-2006, 03:45 PM   #1
mitchs

Default serial number on barrel

hi. if a military p-08 luger was reworked for export after world war 1 and a new barrel was put on, would they put a duplicate of the exact serial number, that is on the rest of the gun, on the barrel so that all the numbers matched. also, would they stamp "made in Germany" on the gun barrel.
Unread 10-02-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Mitch,

It depends greatly on who "they" is. If the gun was rebarrelled in Germany, it is very likely that it would have been numbered to the gun. It is almost certain that it would have been re-proofed, and the barrel would bear a new proof mark--most likely a crown-over-N. As an export item, it is most likely that the gun itself would be export marked, GERMANY appearing most likely on the frame, sometimes on the right receiver, very occasionally on another part.

Parts were also exported to the US. A barrel marked "made in GERMANY" was most likely exported as it is, to be put on a Luger by a gunsmith here in the states. It is particularly likely to be the case if there is no serial number or proof mark (there is no US national proof law) added to the barrel itself.

Which answer covers your Luger the best? Can you let us all know details? Got any pictures?

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2006, 08:07 PM   #3
mitchs

Hi. Sorry that I used the wrong section. The luger in question has a barrel with the serial number that is identical to the rest of the serial numbers on each of the parts of the gun. However on the frame the is the word "Germany" and on the barrel there is also the "made in Germany."
I haven't noticed any other proof marks on the barrel. Additionally on the strap there is stamped "48 MGR and 13.
Is it possible that the barrel is original or otherwise put on in Germany. Otherwise how could I account for the serial number. Would a U.S. recipient have restamped the exact serial number. Moreover why would the German Factory involved in a rework find it necessary to stamp the barrel with the identical number. I wouldn't think it would have made a difference then as the gun clearly wasn't being sold as a collectors gun.
Unread 10-02-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
Dwight Gruber
User

Mitch,

"Collectibility" was never part of the issue. These were being sold and marketed as working--as in take it out and shoot it--firearms.

Before it is going to be possible to speculate further, it is going to be necessary to know all this gun's details. DWM or Erfur? Chamber date? Proofs on right or left receiver? Chamber cut for an Artillery sight?

If you can take detailed photographs and post them they will be very useful, particularly of the barrel serial numbers.

No, there are no simple answers when it comes to Lugers.

--Dwight
Unread 10-02-2006, 08:44 PM   #5
mitchs

Hi. The gun is a DWM and looks to be a good deal like the 1908 military, first issue, undated, as shown on page 161 of Lugers at Random. (1908 Military, First Issue) I haven't seen it (the gun that is) in a week as it is being held by a dealer untill my NJ purchase permit is issued, a lengthly and painful process in NJ. I believe the proof marks are same and are on the left side of the barrel and the sight is the same one featured in the above referenced photo. Does this help at all.
Unread 10-02-2006, 08:46 PM   #6
mitchs

Sorry. I meant the proof marks are on the left side of the frame. The barrel appears to have only the serial number with no other proof marks that I was able to see. However the light wasn't great so i might have missed them.
Unread 10-02-2006, 10:40 PM   #7
Dwight Gruber
User

The Garden State! Sorry about your waiting requirement.

The barrel proof on a DWM 1908 Military is on the left side of the barrel. If you are not looking for it, or are not aware it should be there, you might miss it.

Without knowing for sure about the proof, so far the proper barrel is as you describe it. Can't go any further until it is in your hands and in front of your camera.

--Dwight