LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 06-29-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
Jayhawk21
User

Question Recoil Spring?

When one is shooting a 30 cal Luger that has been converted to 9mm should you start out by changing the recoil spring? Not having the testing equipment to test 90 to 100 year old springs should I just start with new [Wolfe] springs? Other than Wolfe springs I don't of any other new recoil springs. I am not a collector but a shooter. Wolfe has 2 choices of recoil springs, which is the best starting point? Thank you.
Jayhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2006, 01:54 AM   #2
Hugh
RIP

Paul,

If your present spring is working ok, you don't need to change it. If you feel that you want to, get the 2 spring pack from Wolff that has both the "regular" and "extra" and see which one works the best.
Unread 07-02-2006, 03:12 PM   #3
Sieger
User

Default Luger Recoil Springs

Hi:

The Wolff Springs are just too long, but they are the only springs commonly available.

When oh when will someone out there design and manufacture a "real" replacement spring set for the Parabellum?!?!?!

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
marshombre
User

Try Numrich, they sell orirginal surplus mainsprings for $10. I've installed them in a '16 Erfurt 9mm and a '20s commercial .30 cal. Same spring worked in both. MR
Unread 07-02-2006, 09:00 PM   #5
marshombre
User

My bad. Price is $5.10 part # 465390.
Unread 07-03-2006, 06:16 PM   #6
Hugh
RIP

I haven't experimented with it, but maybe a Wolff "extra strength" spring
could have a few coils clipped off to be the correct length and still be as strong as a standard spring.
Unread 07-03-2006, 06:41 PM   #7
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default New spring

Hi Sieger!! I'm trying! Just too much on my plate lately...I already have some benchmark springs and test data requirments, and also some test equipment fabricated... When I get close, you're going to get a call!!! Luger engineers must have been quit a wild bunch!! Seems like you have to learn an awful lot in one field... just to learn a tiny bit in another!!! Best to all! Til...lat'r.....GT As for my new knee, found out today, Therapy people can use your own dog to track you down for Physical therapy .... in your own house!! Panzers just too darn friendly!
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2006, 10:07 PM   #8
Sieger
User

Default Luger Springs

Hi G.T.

Hope all is well!!

I've recently received and tested some Mauser Parabellum recoil springs originally designed for their 9mm 1970's production. These use thicker wire and are shorter, and, thus, much easier to install and remove than the originals.

I must say that I have been totally satisfied with their operation in both my 1917 DWM and 1941 byf. Having a spring that is standardized in both pistols makes the reloading task a much simpler operation.

I've also noticed that the magazine springs Mauser used in its 1970's 9mm pistols are real "ball busters" and are of a much heavier weight than the ones used in their 7.65mm pistols.

Hope to hear from you soon!!

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2006, 01:31 PM   #9
Hugh
RIP

Hey, GT, you can let Panzer drool all over them to get even!
Unread 07-13-2006, 05:38 PM   #10
unspellable
User

The new model coil spring Lugers had two different recoil springs for 7.65 and 9 mm calibers. Many shooter grade Lugers have had their springs tampered with and many are out of spec for that reason. The spring will actually weaken only shortly before total failure so that is seldom a problem. The real problem is that people tinkered with the springs in the misguided belief they weakened or needed to be changed to accomodate current ammo. Neither is true.

Clipping the end off a sping actually stiffens it. What you are reducing is the preload and compressed load, not really a good idea. It promotes the possibility of the action not quite closing, leading to the possibility of firing with out being locked. You DON'T want to go there.

The Wolff springs are over long, resulting in a higher than proper preload. Probably the best result with a Wolff spring would be to take the stiffest Wolff spring and trim it a bit to reduce the preload. I can't say just how much one would tirm it. A judicious trim will not cause any safety issues and would get you as close as you are going to get with a Wolff.

As Georg Luger himself said, "The springs have to be right."
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote