LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 04-08-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
rebeltsc
New User

Default S/42

A few days ago a friend brought me a Luger from a gun show. I wanted a military model, but I have my doubts about this one. It is marked S/42 on the toggle, and dated 1936. It has three tiny marks on the receiver, and the one on the left appears to be some sort of eagle, but but none of them seem to be a swastika. The serial number is 5213, and all the numbers I can see match, although I think it has been reblued. Under the safety is "Gesichert." How can I tell if it is military or commercial? Also, the toggle does not lock when you pull it back; isn/t it supposed to? If anyone has any input, I will be grateful.
rebeltsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

Tom, welcome to the forum. if it is dated, it is a military model ... There were 89,500 lugers made in 1936 as S/42 (that equals mauser), in suffix from 5000f to 4500p. Your serial number would include a suffix.

Does it lock back if you ahve the magazine in it? if not, then try another magazine.

ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2006, 06:14 AM   #3
Marvin
User

I was looking at a Luger years ago and the Toggle would not lock back. When we disassembled the pistol, the Holdopen was missing. Check to see if yours is there. If you are not sure what the Holdopen is, click on the "Technical Information" section to the left, then click on "Parts List & Disassembly", find item No. 022; this is the Holdopen. If it is there, it certainly may be your magazine.

If you are not certain if it has been reblued, does the word "Gesichert" still have the white paint in the letters? Rebluing is dufficult to determine without seeing the pistol or at least photos. THere are some that reblue the pistol and it looks correct, some reblue and during polishing they round all the corners. Post some photos if possible

Oh yea, WELCOME to the Forum, this is a great bunch of guys here that know a LOT about Lugers!
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2006, 10:19 AM   #4
rebeltsc
New User

Thanks for the input, guys. It is GREAT to get the benefit of all the expertise, not to mention getting it for free!
rebeltsc is offline   Reply With Quote