LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 01-31-2006, 08:40 PM   #1
shadow
User

Question AGI Luger Armorer's Video Course

I found the American Gunsmithing Institute Luger Armorer's Video Course at http://www.americangunsmith.com/view.php?id=10 while searching about lugers online. The preview looks pretty good. I could not find a discussion about it on this forum so I thought I would ask if anyone here has seen it, and if so is it worth buying?

Thanks
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
Rod WMG
User

I'm sure someone will give the definitive answer. Here's what little I know.

I've heard a few guys say good things about these. I bought the one on Smith revolvers years ago and was very disappointed. The guy lost me right at the start when he laughed at the guns and called them "dinosauers." Camera angles were awful (one camera only it seemed). Detailed examination was dismal. And BORING!

Hopefully the Luger one is better, much better.
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2006, 11:08 PM   #3
zinfull
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

It is OK. It is like Rod said one camera. For a professional job it has the feel of Jr. High. They spend some time talking about the gun then dismantle it completely. If you are afraid of dong this with out any help then it may be worth it. But if you are mechanical them it will only be watched once or twice.

Jerry
zinfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
shadow
User

I just bought the DVD. I am so new to lugers that all of the information will be new to me. When it comes in I will let you know what I think, and I will probably have allot of questions too.
Unread 02-07-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
Hugh
RIP

If you want to learn about Luger mechanics, get the Luger E-Books from Gerard Henrotin of this forum. These are very informative, well illustrated and easy to understand.
Unread 02-07-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
shadow
User

Thumbs up

I bought "Luger Mechanical Features" last week and yes it is a great book!!!!

If nothing else this video will show me someone actually taking a luger apart.

I just bought my first luger (1993 mitchell) and I have never seen the inside of one before, so I think the video in addition to Henrotin's book will help me.
Unread 02-09-2006, 10:32 PM   #7
shadow
User

The AGI luger course just came in today and I watched it right away. Overall I thought the course was good. There were a couple of shots where all you see are the back of the instructors hand instead of the part that he is trying to show. For example the instructors hand covered both the removal and installation of the ejector, so I only have a vague idea on how it is removed and re installed. The theory of operation section would have seemed good if I had not already read "Luger Mechanical Features" which is an EXCELLENT e-book and possibly the most clear and concise book I have ever read on any mechanical system!!!

The history of the gun section seemed vague in places and some of the guidance given does not agree with what I have read on this page. For example the video indicates that the luger jams because the ammo made today is not hot enough and that the luger needs hotter loads. On this page I have read repeatedly that it is the shortness of todays ammo that can make even perfect action jam, and that the longer loads such as S&B 124gr or Winchester 115 gr function quite well in the gun and even though they are not very hot.

In spite of my negative comments I still believe the video was worth the money. It is obvious that the instructor Robert Dunlap knows his stuff about gunsmithing and as an newbie luger owner it brought my understanding of the gun from little to nothing to at least to a level where I am dangerous. If at least nothing else I have seen someone completely disassemble and reassemble a luger and I am now more comfortable with the thought of doing it myself.