LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 12-30-2005, 07:48 PM   #1
luscioman
User

Default Need help on DWM 1918

Hey guys I picked up a 1918 shooter this week. It has been reblued and has some pitting on it near the proofs on the slide. It is however all matching and has vopo grips. It doesnt have a double date or a saftey sear. I need help on the magazine and the front strap. I think that the base may have been replaced on a newer mag tube. However the magazine number does match the gun.

Attached Images

luscioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2005, 07:53 PM   #2
luscioman
User

Side of mag
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	magside.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	601  

Unread 12-30-2005, 08:17 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

The 2/1001 are the VOPO number meaning luger magazine, so it is a post war replacement. they are also very good magazines, and made by Schmeisser.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2005, 08:30 PM   #4
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

1001 is the DDR ordinance code for Haenel-Schmeisser, who made the extruded-style magazines. Iirc the 2/ indicates the second mag.

I'm really curious to know if you can make out what alll the X-ed out unit marks are. It might be tremendously instructive to see the entire gun and all the markings.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2005, 09:44 AM   #5
LU1900
User

Unread 12-31-2005, 10:03 AM   #6
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Pat, You are correct that most of these new DDR mags bear the 2/1001 code on the side of the mag tube and the 1 or 2 for 1st or 2nd mag, will be stamped on the alum bottom, usually above the serial number. Another means of IDing these mags, is the off center pinning of the bottom piece to the tube. TH
Unread 12-31-2005, 11:21 AM   #7
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by LU1900
Dwight , are sure about the 2/ before the 1001 ?
Nope.

Heard it somewhere, obviously wrong...

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2006, 09:38 PM   #8
luscioman
User

Sorry for the delay. I hope this picture is a bit better.

Unread 02-03-2006, 11:10 AM   #9
Schupo
User

A proper East German rework with interesting markings. I have seen the intact "flower " marking and the "S IV" style markings on DDR lugers before. The magazines are proper VOPO rework magazines if they are serial numbered to the pistol with "1" and "2" designations on the bottom. The grips are proper DDR grips. I think it is not only a shooter but is collectible in its own right as well.

Is the first crossed out letter an "S" or something else? The bottom two cancelled markings may be Prussian school markings are they "P.P." or "P.R." stamps?
Unread 02-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #10
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

This grip strap is a veritable cornucopia of markings!

The crossed-out mark under the second lineout from the left appears to be SP.Bn. which represents the Schupo of the Saxon city or governmental district of Bautzen. The weapon number 694 would be consistent with this. I have a Luger marked SP.Bn.669. If correct, this was a weapon of the police of Saxony during the Weimar era. I, too, am curious about the x'd and lined-out marking to the left of this. Might it have been another "SP"?

If there is no evidence that it ever had a sear safety, it would indicate that it was probably removed from police service before 1933. However, no information was presented about the serial numbers on the frame and the barrel. Do they confirm that the upper and lower parts of this pistol are originally from the same gun? I have seen a few instances where they were not and it completely mislead the identification of the gun.

Author of History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936
http://www.historywritinsteel.com
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2006, 09:09 AM   #11
luscioman
User

All the numbers match at 1685 on all parts including the barrel. I will take some more pics of them this week. The letters are PB on the strap. It has some pitting and was reblued sometime after the pitting occured. So I only consider it to be a shooter.
Unread 02-08-2006, 10:25 AM   #12
Schupo
User

I agree with Don that these are interesting markings showing a long period of use by the police. The "PB." markings (with a full stop after only the B) is the proper marking for the Police School at Bonn per the 1932 Prussian marking protocols. If it had a full stop after each letter it could indicate the Police School at Berlin per the 1922 Prussian marking protocols.

My eyes can't make out the other markings to see if they are Saxon or not. It would be interesting to know if this pistol was actually transferred from Saxon to Prussian ownership. We could better tell that if we knew if the pistol ever had a sear safety installed and then removed, as the VP armorers should have removed it if it were present, IMHO. We will have to wait for some more pictures.
Unread 02-08-2006, 02:13 PM   #13
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Steve,

If possible, please try to take a clear closeup of the grip strap without the white material and without using a flash. The best lighting for these is outside on a bright overcast day without direct sunlight.

Unread 02-09-2006, 05:25 PM   #14
luscioman
User

Here is another pic.

Unread 02-09-2006, 10:05 PM   #15
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Steve,

This is a much better photo although it still leaves some questions.

Forget what I said about Saxon police markings. This photo does not show what I thought I saw.

I agree with George that the PB. on the bottom represents the Prussian police school at Bonn. This school was opened in September 1926.

I still can't read the upper mark. Perhaps it is P.Bg. representing the Brandenburg police school as specified in the 1922 marking orders. This school was located in Neurippin and was closed in September 1926, the same time the Bonn school was opened. It would appear that the same weapon number 691 was used in both marks. Perhaps some of the weapons of the school at Neurippin were transferred to the Bonn school and kept the same numbers. Here is an example of a P.Bg. mark that has been x'd out:

In this instance, the gun was transferred to the Schupo of the D�¼sseldorf district.

Unread 02-10-2006, 02:36 PM   #16
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

After looking at an enlargement of the latest photo, I'm less inclined to believe the first mark was P.Bg. Whatever it was, it was x'd out, leaving the weapon number that was re-used in the mark PB.691. by the police school at Bonn. At some later time, both sets of marks were lined out.

Perhaps the first mark was some non-standard mark used by the Bonn school between its founding in 1926 and the issue of the 1932 marking instructions in Manual 40a.

Unread 02-10-2006, 02:55 PM   #17
Schupo
User

Steve,

I agree with Don that the "PB." marking seems to be the last Weimar Republic / NS Zeit period one for the Polizeischule Bonn. I can't make out the other cancelled marks either.

The intact "S IV *" markings are unknown postwar Volkspolizei markings that seem to sometimes appear on these VOPO lugers. An interesting set of markings showing long police use and re-issue.
Unread 02-10-2006, 03:05 PM   #18
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

My guess is that this pistol was removed from police service (lack of sear or mag safeties) and used by the German Army until it was captured by the Russians, after which it entered Vopo service. I have a number of Prussian police school pistols listed in my database that do not have sear or mag safeties. It seems to me that the schools would have obeyed the 1933 order to add these safeties if they were in their inventories at that time.

Unread 02-10-2006, 05:02 PM   #19
Schupo
User

Don,

You may well be correct that the pistol was taken out of police service for a time during the NS Zeit. But, another possibility exists.

This pistol could have remained in police service with the sear safety being removed by the Volkspolizei. All the VOPO lugers I have seen to date have no sear safety (or show that this safety was removed), so it seems that it was removed during DDR reworking, if not previously. I also have a 1957 DDR "Waffen- und Gel�¤ndenkunde" published by the MdI that does not mention the sear safety on the P.08 in police service. The sear safety is not shown on the illustrations or mentioned in the nomenclature or text.

The small lot of newly produced East German lugers (model 1001) that were made in 1953 were not manufactured with sear safeties. This appears to be the standard. I would expect the reworked police pistols to be brought into line with this new DDR Volkspolizei configuration by having the sear safety (if still present) removed.
Unread 02-11-2006, 10:43 AM   #20
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Steve,

You should be able to determine if a sear safety was removed by the Vopo as suggested by George. There would be a hole or filled-in hole in the reciever where the sear safety was riveted and the sideplate should have a slot milled along the top edge (unless the sideplate has been replaced). Finally, there would be a hole in the receiver under the sideplate.

Even if there is evidence that this pistol once had a sear safety, I think the fact that it was captured by the Russians suggests strongly that it was in use by the German Army at the time. If it had remained the property of the police school at Bonn, it would have been captured by U.S. or British forces.