LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 09-03-2005, 10:53 PM   #1
becker
User

Default luger death head rig

I am considering buying a luger rig.The gun is 99%+++ with two matched mags, tool 1940 date all matching.The holster is a custom with a deaths head stamp in the flap and an ivory skull flap closure. He wants $4,000.00 for the rig. I would appreciate your thoughts on breaking the rig down price wise..... I really like the gun. Thanks
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
becker
User

I should add there are no waffen proofs on the holster.I can't get pics either.
Unread 09-03-2005, 11:24 PM   #3
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Becker,

You have given us very little information other than the gun may be a Mauser-produced 1940 42 code. Starting from the bottom...

The holster is worthless. That is, it is not authentically anything and has zero collector value.

The tool could be real or it could be a reproduction, if it is not authentically marked in some way it is worth $10-$40.

Two matched magazines raise the question and the liklihood that they are renumbered--close examination is necessary to determine if they are authentically matched to the gun. Absent that certain knowledge, any Luger magazine in reasonable shape is worth $125.

Mauser produced more than 135,000 42-code 1940 Lugers. Presuming that this pistol is all matching with its original finish, it might be worth as much as $1,200--but it had better be really good. Frankly, it is hard to take your description of its finish at face value.

A mint condition pistol (as your 99%++ implies) requires an experienced eye and close examination to confirm its authenticity. If it is really mint, and the magazines are authentic matches, the gun might be worth just over $2,000.

Depending on what your interests are, you can buy a really great Luger for $4,000. You can also get a couple of really good Luger rigs for that kind of money. If you let us all know what you are looking for in a Luger, there are any number of people on these Forums who are interested in seeing you get the best Luger you can for your money.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2005, 02:06 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

Just to add more sorrow to the lot; some folks will tell you that the "deaths heads" were for the SS, it simply is not true. It is very possible a few guns / holsters were marked from the WW1 era, but WW2 marked guns or holsters are almost universally thought of as bogus.

An investment of 4K means that when you desire to sell, you might be looking at a huge loss.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2005, 12:50 PM   #5
becker
User

Ed and Dwight,

Thanks for your input I really appreciate your time and knowledge. I apologize for my brief description my wife was badgering me to get offline so it was hard to get my thoughts clear.

The gun is a 1940/42 in the 4000 (L) block 655 marked. It has just a tiny bit of holster wear on barrel .It has walnut grips unnumbered w/655 proofs. What attracted me was the condition and the 2 matched mags. The holster i know is "questionable" to say the least, it is identical to the one in Jan Stills book 3rd Reich Lugers pg 168.

I live in the northeast and usually travel to shows in the Midwest but i haven't been able to because of illness the last year. I have had to rely on lists and the web for luger prices which seem to have skyrocketed for rigs w/1or 2 matched mags. Thats why i thought the price might good even without counting the holster. He had wanted to sell it for $5000 a year ago but i passed .

jay
Unread 09-04-2005, 01:04 PM   #6
becker
User

My interest is in WW2 rigs with at least 1 matched mag.
Unread 09-04-2005, 03:59 PM   #7
Dwight Gruber
User

Jay,

You have my apologies if I have underestimated your knowledge and experience. With your interests you seem to be swimming in the right pond.

Caution is certainly warranted with this Luger.

--Dwight
Unread 09-04-2005, 08:23 PM   #8
becker
User

Dwight,
No apologies necessary my post was quite thin.If you could elaborate
on your concerns is it the condition ?I know the rebluing has gotten
quite good from certain individuals.I will try and get some pics but

From your first post even if it is 99% and original it is still over priced?

Just a thought with the rise in prices of the matched mag lugers i have
seen guys asking $3500-6000 i am inclined to look at Kreighoffs which look
like bargains .

Thanx,
Jay

Unread 09-04-2005, 08:26 PM   #9
becker
User

Sorry that should "Dwight" although anyones thoughts on this are appreciated.

jay
Unread 09-04-2005, 08:37 PM   #10
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

Even at 2 matching mags, I think it is about $1000-$2000 too much...

99% blueing is pretty hard to be possible, not impossible, but it is over 60 years old...

NOTE: you can always go right back in and edit a posting, see the pencil and paper on the bottom right corner.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2005, 04:26 AM   #11
Dwight Gruber
User

Jay,

Yes, authenticity of the finish and two matching mags are my concern.

I am pretty conservative when it comes to Luger values. My earlier post on value represents my -opinion (only)- and I see no reason to change it.

Asking price and the price a Luger actually changes hands for can be very different figures, I expect that you have experience with this. I suspect that the asking price for this gun is nearly three years ahead of the market's selling price.

--Dwight