LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 08-11-2005, 01:29 PM   #1
M1 Garand
New User

Default Simpson Ltd Luger

I was wondering what your opinions were of this luger.
http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_in...oducts_id=2325
Is it worth the 3000 dollars. I am about to graduate from high school and have been saving up the money for a couple of years from a lifeguarding job to give to my parents so they can buy it for me. Is it worth it? Thanks for your opinion.
M1 Garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2005, 01:50 PM   #2
Pete Ebbink
User

Price is high because of the holster, medal, capture paper. etc...

How does one really know this holster and this medal were captured...and not just "bundled" together.

If you are looking for just a luger, they have nice WWII ones in the $ 1500 to $ 2000 price range.

Also remember...asking price does not always need to be selling price...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2005, 02:31 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

There are a lot of nice guns out there, that are WW2 and cost about 1/3 to a bit more.

Bill (welcome to the forum), figure out what you want. Do you want just a luger? if so, there are lots of shooters out there. If you are looking at a collectable, then there are lots of out there, but of different era's.

There are;

Military
WW1
Weimar
WW2
post-WW2 DDR

Commercial
pre-WW1
Weimar
WW2 era

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2005, 09:08 PM   #4
thegundude
User

If it were my money, I'd rather this one...

1936 S/42

The capture paper is a nice addition but I don't think it justifies nearly doubling the price. The medal is just some more fluff, IMHO.

If you have money pouring out your fanny, the $3,000 isn't a big deal. But if you're saving your money for your first Luger, $3,000 will buy you this nicely collectable Mauser and a couple of shooters.

But, as I said, that's just my humble opinion...

And remember, always try to talk them down in price. They're interested in selling their inventory as quickly as possible, not collecting dust. I'd offer them $1,450 for it and see what they say. If you're still stuck on your pick, offer them more like $2,600 or something in that neighborhood.

Good luck and welcome to our obsession...

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2005, 09:55 PM   #5
Doug G.
User

I would take a BIG pass on this one! In my opinion it is way overpriced. You can buy a Russian front medal for very little about $50. Holster between $2-300 for a nice one. The capture paper is nice, but I wouldn't pay too much extra as these are commonly faked nowadays. I remember seeing ads on Ebay for this, just tell them what you want it to say. They had old stock forms and vintage typewriters. I bought this 1936 S/42 for $550 a few years back.

http://gallery.rennlist.com/lugergallery/albun85/4750_1
Doug G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2005, 11:08 PM   #6
thegundude
User

Oh God Doug. Yer killin' me....

Boy you sure couldn't make that kind of deal nowadays...

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2005, 11:20 PM   #7
Doug G.
User

Well ya gotta understand that a few years to me may mean 10+! But I will say this there are plenty of great to ok deals out there. You hear about them all the time. Simpsons sells to people who do not want to take the time to hunt this stuff down them selves. I was set up at a local gun show a few months ago and was selling an old Walther Sportmodell V. Gun was not perfect and was asking $400. Had a guy come up and offer me the following guns even up. 1) Russian Nagant revolver (import) NIB sold it on AA for $125. 2) Spanish Mauser POS sold it for $50. 3) Stoeger Luger .22lr nice 2 mags sold on AA for $225. 4) Marlin Model 60 SS 99% still have. 5) Marlin Camp 9 w/ 5 mags LNIB still have. Bottom line is I had $400 in the Walther after selling three out of the five I have a grand total of $0 in two guns that are worth at least $400 for both.
Doug G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2005, 12:58 AM   #8
G.W. Gill
User

M1, Buy a Luger under $1000 ( $500 if you wan't to shoot the heck out of it). Your friends won't know that it has a part replaced and you won't feel the difference. Then save or invest your money in something that will improve your situation when you are 25 or 30. The best will come to you now as long as you make good choices (( Girls, parties, driving trips, it doesn't cost anything if your young and " act " ( Think the situation out and act appropriate to your desired goal). Strategy!)) I'm getting off subject here and will get booted if I talk about your priorities. ( The priorities I am thinking of are not investment oriented). Don't blow your money on a gun. Get a good career and the MOST FUN will be from 25 yrs. on if you do it right!!!. ( I am a retired Firefighter and would not steer a rookie wrong unless it was entertaining......) I know that sounds unreasonably long to you. Bottom line, quality toys now, collecter toys in a few years.
G.W. Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2005, 09:10 AM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

Gill good advice, except I always hear from the "old" folks, oh I wish I'd bought that luger for $49 by the barrel full back in 1958

So, maybe his priorities ARE straight, I bet this guy has a 66 mustang and two girls for each arm

But, I do agree, unless strictly for apprecaition dollars, a $700 low end collectable is as much fun as a $3k, except you don't mind shooting it!

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2005, 10:37 AM   #10
Navy
RIP

A couple of words on Simpson's pricing. Bob has stock that he owns and stock that is on consignment. You may be able to bargain with him on the stuff that he owns, but he generally has no room for bargaining on consignment guns.

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2005, 10:37 PM   #11
becker
User

I have one word for you PATIENCE!!!!! you probably won't listen i know i didn't but 3K is a nice nest egg even with todays Luger prices.Go to shows read books and listen. Talk dealers try and find a mentor who can intoduce you to some dealers.It took me about 7 years to find my love of lugers and to see what mint luger really looked like and to hear the leather of a mint holster creak.
You won't see the best stuff on websites even at the shows but if you can
work your way in the difference is night and day.
Just some thoughts.
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2005, 02:47 AM   #12
G.W. Gill
User

Ed, I am not saying this as a smart comeback. I had the 64 1/2 Mustang, Lugers & girls. I was very fortunate. I attribute this to my parents ( Dad ) saying THINK!. I was so very fortunate , as I have managed to excell in all enterprises. Of coarse I reached my plateau and crashed in every one of them. Life is great. One super experience after another. I smile when I remember the Mustang, '65 Dodge van with the carpet/bed and cool speakers. The personna was cool, the toys were quality. Didn't cost much. Off to the next experience!!! Right now , a quarter century later, I'm a stay at home Dad. You are right about the investment when the timeing is right. I just feel that it is passed for entry level Lugers.

If I were sixteen I would be working on a Ford Festiva or a tiny Suberu 4x4. 35 to 40 mpg is where its at now. And those wierd little Suberus can go. Then say lets plink with my pistol!!

G.W. Gill is offline   Reply With Quote