LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 07-26-2005, 08:15 PM   #1
Luke
User

Default Strawing Preparation - Need Advice

Thought I would try home-made strawing, just for fun. I have the temp/time tables for the different shades, but I am wondering if there is some process for cleaning, polishing, etc. before heating.

I have a (salt?) blued DWM takedown lever which I would like to try. Any suggestions for cleaning and/or polishing before the heat treatment?

Thanks,
Luke
Unread 07-26-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Luke,
I can't speak about polishing from the standpoint of an accurate surface restoration but the parts should be "operating room clean" - absolutely no oil, residue or fingerprints. I suggest a final cleaning with alcohol (pure if possible) on a cotton patch. Handle parts with cotton patches or archivist's cotton gloves. Make sure that the oven is clean. Also suggest that you try a test piece of steel in your oven before trusting the temperature dial. I will be interested to hear about surface prep advice for the blued takedown lever because of the checkered button. Hopefully Ted will share some knowledge. Good luck, please show us the results. KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2005, 09:27 PM   #3
Herb
User

Luke, I've done it several times with varying results. I think you'll find that the time varies considerably from part to part and maker to maker, the heavier ones taking more time, example: the ejector at 3 minutes @ about 450 degrees compared to the trigger at up to 15 minutes. I do it on shoters so I have the leeway to play around and redo them several times till I get it right. I clean the parts first in hot soapy water then in laquer thinner. Always use a pliers or a set of hemostats to hold them, never touch them with your fingers. Once I get them clean I use 1000 grit sandpaper to clean up the old surface, or leave the original machining marks there if you prefer. After the sanding I clean them again and into the oven with them after the heat has stabilized. I use one of those BBQ grates that are made for fish, the one with the small openings, it lets the heat circulate. Karl has good advice also but I don't have the gloves to do that. Let us know how it turns out, if first you don't succeed try, try again. Almost forgot, after using the laquer thinner look closely for a fine film or streaks, if you see any just go with another hot water and soap scrub and a good rinse.

http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload/bulg_6.jpg
Unread 07-27-2005, 12:18 AM   #4
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

A thought occurrred to me while reading this.

Some strawed parts--I'm thinking thumb safety particularly--are varying thicknesses. I wonder, if it would be useful to heat-soak parts to just below color formation in order to stabilize their temperature throughout, before cranking up to color temperature/time?

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2005, 09:43 AM   #5
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Herb was right on about different thickness parts taking various times to straw. You must watch them like a hawk and then quench when the appropriate color is acheived, or they will continue to darken, even when removed from the oven. TH
Unread 07-27-2005, 10:06 AM   #6
Luke
User

Sounds like it would be better to do one part at a time unless strawing two or more parts of the same type.

Tom, thanks for the comment on quenching; I would not have thought of that. Water quench? Or do I need something else?

Thanks,
Luke
Unread 07-27-2005, 11:59 AM   #7
raceratb
User

for my stuff i used a dremel wire wheel to clean the bluing out of the checkering in the take down lever, i used a combo of sand paper (sometimes put a little oil on the wet/dry paper) and cray rubber abrasive wheels to polish the parts since i was going for a polished finish, then with latex gloves on i cleaned all the parts with carb cleaner. i put them in the oven @425-450 and watched them till they were done. I did each part sepratly. when i was done i quenched them immediatly in 3n1 oil. to save oil i made a little cup out of tin foil, and used a q-tip to spread the oil around. check out www.raceratb.com/luger.
Unread 07-29-2005, 08:28 AM   #8
Luke
User

Thanks for the comments.

I have a couple of takedown levers from DWM which were originally strawed, but have been blued by some earlier custodian. I have been somewhat apprehensive about strawing, but I am comfortable enough to give it a try now.

I have some preparation to do, and I am not in a hurry; but I will post pictures when the job is complete.

Thanks for the advice.
Luke
Unread 08-07-2005, 11:09 PM   #9
Herb
User

Default Strawing prep

Ok Luke, it's been over a week now, lets have your report on what the first try at strawing turned up.
Unread 08-07-2005, 11:59 PM   #10
policeluger
RIP

Luke, you may like my strawing info sheet, been used here lot of time with great results, email at collins1974@earthlink.net , give me your home email address and I will sent it as an attachment....been doing it for 30 years, you'll love it
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 06:05 AM   #11
Luke
User

Hi Howard,

Thanks for the offer. I have sent you a separate email.

Luke

Hi Herb,

I have the part cleaned and polished (in the white) but have not had time to actually try the heating process yet. Trying to get up my nerve, but I will get to it.

Luke
Unread 08-08-2005, 03:25 PM   #12
Herb
User

Don't worry about messing it up, if it comes out too light put it back in the oven for awhile longer, if too dark just buff it out again and start over, the color is only on the surface and comes off fairly easily.
Unread 10-01-2005, 05:08 PM   #13
Chuckc
User

I would be interested in the strawing tables, if anyone has a copy. I am interested in trying out the home strawing.

Thanks,

Chuck ccam61@aol.com