LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 05-20-2005, 09:49 PM   #1
Steve71
User

Default A "Vega" brand pistol?

Does anyone know anything about a Vega brand pistol? It looks like a Colt 1911. Are they any good or worth anything. My firend owns it and wants to sell it. I've never heard of one and never seen one.

Thank you,

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vega pistol.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	292  

Steve71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2005, 11:23 PM   #2
Lyn Islaub
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Steve,
Can't tell you much about them, other than I bought one on a whim at a Phoenix gun show recently and felt lucky to be able to sell it shortly thereafter. Construction seemed to be pretty rpoor compared to all the other 1911 clones I've seen and the slide slop was excessive. Did not shoot it and sold it for what I paid-$150. Could be that I was involved with a poor example and that others are better.
Lyn
Lyn Islaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2005, 09:19 AM   #3
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Steve, As mentioned above, the Vega was a cheap stainless Govt model clone that appeared breifly on the market some 25 years ago. As I recall, galling was a problem, so for $300 or so you should be able to find something better. TH
Unread 05-21-2005, 09:27 AM   #4
Ron Smith
User

They were jammin' "Junque". The frame rails could be polished and worked pretty well with other brands of slides, but Vega slides were lousy.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2005, 10:27 AM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts

whoa, Steve, don't show this to your friend! it'll just hurt his feelings, just tell him you aren't interested....

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2005, 04:23 PM   #6
Roadkill
User

That's a new one on me. Can't believe there was a less than stelllar firearm out there and I haven't had at least two of them.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2005, 04:59 PM   #7
Steve71
User

Thanks guys. I'm going to pass on this one based on your comments. Besides, since it was named the same as a Chevy "vega", I suspected it was no good, but I had to make sure. However, if it jams it might be a good one to give to the wife Just in case she gets mad at me

Thanks again,

Steve
Unread 05-21-2005, 05:10 PM   #8
Roadkill
User

Good thinking, that happened to my buddy Ken years ago. She wanted a gun for her purse, he bought a cheap 32 revolver, she caught him with a lady friend at work, shot at and mised him five times before he was able to clear a 7' fence and haul ass across a cotton field. I saw it. That woman never said a word. Drove up, got out of the car with the gun in her hand, he ran out the back, she started shooting as soon as she cleared the rear door. Went back inside, got in car and left. No one called the police or anything, they stayed marrried.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2005, 05:36 PM   #9
Steve71
User

Still married huh? Some guys just love adventure Please don't tell me she still has the gun.............Nevermind. Don't tell me. It will hurt too much. I suspect he bought her one that shoots better to celebrate their anniversary

Steve
Unread 05-22-2005, 06:05 AM   #10
jamese
User

Steve,
I just junked "Vega" brand 45 from the armory about 2 weeks ago. I could have given your friend some spare parts if I had known.

I didn't know of anyone who really owned one of these things.

Jim
Unread 05-22-2005, 01:32 PM   #11
Steve71
User

Jim,

My friend got the vega and the luger at the same time from his neighbor when her husband passed away. As I write, that Luger is enroute to my house. I am so excited. My wife says she hasn't seen me this excited since I got my Shilo Sharps a couple years ago. I've been reading all the forums and it is "amazing". I can't believe I didn't get into this years ago. I've got my calendar marked for a gun show in the first of June here in Washington State. I'm on the hunt

Thank you,

Steve
Unread 05-22-2005, 01:40 PM   #12
Ron Smith
User

Steve,
Which model Shilo do you have? I've got a #1 Sporter in 45-70. The one gun I'll never sell. I figure if I am ever homeless. I can stand at an intersection with it and a cardboard sign that says "Will work for ammo."

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2005, 03:36 PM   #13
Steve71
User

Ron,

Oh my God, maybe you and I should become "minutemen" We got them covered from long distance with the Sharps and up close with the lugers.
I've got the same model, same caliber but with a 34 inch Octagon barrel, fancy wood, steel buttplate and MVA sights. Your right, they are "keepers". In fact, I married off my daughter last year and she bought one for my new son in law for a wedding present. Now how's that for a woman? Did I raise her right or what?

That rifle is an awesome shooter and I really enjoy it. It's probably the best gun I own. It's certainly the most expensive one I own This year, I hope to take an elk with it.

My only regret is that I got the 34 inch barrel. It's a beautifully balanced shooter with the 34 but a little heavy to be packing around the woods. My son-in-law got a 32 inch and it shoots just as well.

Have you ever toured Shilo? Awesome shop. A buddy of mine took me in there and I knew I was screwed. I dropped down a deposit and we went across the street and drank a whole lot of whiskey trying to figure out how I was going to tell the wife what I did? It was one of the best days of my life. It's a long story and this is the short version. I got mine in 02 after a 4 year wait. I was in the peak of when you had to wait a long time. Now days, it's a minimal wait. Maybe just a few months. I don't know for sure now.

Sincerely,

Steve