LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 05-08-2005, 09:28 PM   #1
Tony S.
User

Default A Friend and Civil War Records

I just want to extent my most sincere gratitude and appreciation to Mr. David McClellan (tudorbug) for helping me with the search of military documents, books and service records of the last Union General to die during the Civil War conflict, Thomas A. Smyth. Actually, he did it all. I have a Colt London inscribed with the Generalâ??s name and Mr. McClellan volunteered to help me with the research. Mr. McClellanâ??s unselfish commitment to help others is beyond generosity and rarely seen coming from someone that has only met you via e-mails. He is by far a great asset to this forum and a great friend to those lucky enough to know him.
I just want to share my thoughts and let you know that our research was a success.
Tony S.
Tony S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2005, 09:40 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

Colonel McClellan is a really nice guy, we've traded barbs and e-mails for a year or two... He is one of those guys that is just a pleasure to talk to also.

Ed
SSG US Army (RET)

PS: If I got the rank wrong Dave, tell me!
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2005, 09:37 AM   #3
tudorbug
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Hi, Ed! Tony!

Ed, actually, Lieutenant Colonel is closer to the truth, but, honestly, that title, after nine years in grade, has sort of disappeared from life since I retired from the Army in 1988. David, Dave or just "Hey, You!" is fine these days and I respond alertly enough if I actually hear the hail.

Tony's fine Colt connected directly to a Civil War Brigadier in the Federal Army sort of propelled me into one of these sort of all-consuming, high interest internet research projects on a pistol admittedly not at all related to this forum. It was really, really an interesting effort. Tony, no need to be so kind with your words since I went thru a great learning experience as well and you really do have a nice pistol. Take good care of it and don't worry about the paper I dug up, all of which can now easily be replaced.

(My problem with this forum is that so many people have such fine weapons and all I can do is drool and leave handprints on the window of the candy store. I now know that Tony has one of these examples!)

Btw, Ed, a verteran of WWII who had received the Combat Infantryman Badge has now received the Bronze Star Medal as a result of my pushing paper up a diffferent pipe. Amazing, it took the National Personnel Records Center 13 months to complete the action and in the meantime, this 85 year old gentleman moved into a state of more precarious health.

Thank you, Tony and thank you, Ed, as well!

David
tudorbug is offline   Reply With Quote