LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 05-08-2005, 02:19 PM   #1
thegundude
User

Default Refurbishing Poll... (informal)

Hello all.

I recently bought a 1920 Commercial DWM P-08 that I'm probably going to have Thor work on, as soon as I can scrape together the extra sheckles. Until recently, I'd always been of the opinion that you should never alter, in any way shape or form, any collectable firearm for any reason.

But there have been a few good arguments made to have this done to my gun, in particular, but I was wondering what the thoughts of the membership were on this topic in general. After all, there are a million different situations and reasons for doing anything, but until recently I was under the impression that altering an old gun, particularly an alteration as radical as a reblue, was wrong. Now I'm not quite so sure about it...

What are your thoughts? Is a total refurb good or bad? If good, are there extenuating circumstances? Where do you draw the line, if you draw one at all?

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2005, 03:06 PM   #2
pipeman45
User

This is just my opinion. I would let Thor work his magic. The gun is nice just the way it is, but think what it could be. It's up to you to decide. It is after all your gun,and your money! BTW if you do send it off.We want to see pic's of the before and after.
Unread 05-08-2005, 03:09 PM   #3

I guess I am the first (second) to answer. IMHO it's your gun do what you want to it. I have many (perhaps most of them) altered guns. My oldest is a Thor reworked 1915 DWM. Great gun in new condition.

I don't intend to sell these guns, but so what if I did. I wouldn't attempt to deceive anyone, and any 100% 90 year old gun should be suspect.
Unread 05-08-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
thegundude
User

Thanks guys. I'm refering to refurbs in general, not just this one. I'm going to send mine to Thor as soon as I get the cash up, I've decided for myself where the line is to be drawn and this gun is somewhere near the botteom of the desicion tree. In fact, this gun is a no brainer (especially after your added comments :-P ).

I was just wondering where do you draw the line? Like would you have a Borchardt redone if it looked rough? Or is there anyone who wouldn't touch a gun like this no matter what, like I used to be? And if so, why?

~Steve
Unread 05-08-2005, 03:32 PM   #5
thegundude
User

Man, I should check my spelling before I post.... :-O

~Steve
Unread 05-08-2005, 03:39 PM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

You can always change a posting, I mispell all the time, but you can go in and change it if you want. At least I think so, I know I can, but you should be able to also, plus, there is a spellcheck

Refurbs.... they are better, i.e. nicer than a "reblue", they are also more expensive because of the time, skill and expertise involved.

In many ways, I would rather have a 70% luger than a refurb...

Now, like my Webley that is about 20-30%, I think the value goes up, but the collector value will never be as high as for one left alone.

I think it comes down to, how messed up is yours, how much blueing is gone, then decide, do I just want it done?

Ted's work is night and day, he can make a pig's ear (sows ear?) look and be transformed into a new gun, with its markings almost untouched. Like I said, this costs money because of the skill and time it takes,

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2005, 03:46 PM   #7
thegundude
User

Thanks Ed. I guess that's kind of how I feel about it too. And as DougT was saying in another thread, it's very subjective. Although there are guns that can benefit (like mine), I'm just trying to keep from hurting ones that ought be left alone.... :-)

BTW, I just found that "Edit" button.... thanks.... :-)

~Steve
Unread 05-08-2005, 05:14 PM   #8
Ron Smith
User

Steve,

In my opinion only. Any collectable gun, unless it's one of less than 500 to 1000 or so ever made, loses any collectable interest after it's gotten below the 80% grade. It has been my experience that once it has become pitted. No matter how much blue it has left. It has lost all interest to collectors or has been relegated to the non-collectable list. This is purely subjective, and is my own personal grading system.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2005, 05:18 PM   #9
thegundude
User

Ahhh... I see what you mean. That's another whole different perspective on "subjective" too.... What's collectable to one person isn't necessarily collectable to another.

~Steve
Unread 05-08-2005, 05:37 PM   #10
Ron Smith
User

Do a search. Enter my name and go to the drop down to open the "restorations,repairs" forum. Then open the thread on "Thor's Work". This is one of his "Just make it look better quickie (relatively speaking) jobs on my beat up .30 cal upper half. It will give you an idea of his work.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2005, 06:11 PM   #11
thegundude
User

Wow Ron! It's really incredible!

I can see why can enjoysuch a good reputation. It's well earned and deserved. I'm going to PM you about a question I have....

Thanks for the sharing the before and after pics. I'll have to take the same before I send my 1920 off to him. :^)

~Steve
Unread 05-08-2005, 06:51 PM   #12
Tim
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Steve,
I have three of Ted's restored beauties. They are the highlight of my collection. There are other pieces in my safe that are worth more, but none that get the ooh's and aah's that these pistols bring. I've had him put his re work mark on all of mine because I do think having his "signature" makes these much more than re blued. I don't know, as some have speculated, that this will make them worth more some day. Frankly, I don't care what they are worth. They are toys that I derive a great deal of satisfaction from. Best of all, I can take them to the range and bang away, content in the knowlege that if I break something, he can fix it (within reason, I suppose). I, as with every other person on this forum, have never seen a "new" luger. I'm sure I know what one would look like having seen Ted's restorations.
Tim
The intent of the second amendment was not to allow the private ownership of firearms. If it had been it would have said something like "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"...
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2005, 07:32 PM   #13
Luke
User

Steve,

To quote Ron: "Any collectable gun, unless it's one of less than 500 to 1000 or so ever made, loses any collectable interest after it's gotten below the 80% grade."

I pretty much agree. Case in point: I have a 1914 DWM without stock lug and with triple C/X proofs. Very few of these were ever made, and most collectors have not seen one. I found and bought one in only fair condition and was SORELY tempted to have Thor restore it. Finally decided to keep it "as is" since it was a very rare and totally honest gun which has never been messed with. It ain't purdy, but it's original.

On the other hand, Thor has restored four run-of-the-mill Lugers for me. Three of these had been reblued earlier by someone far less talented than Thor and looked pretty bad at the time I purchased them. They now look like new guns.

Best of luck with your decision.

Luke
Unread 05-08-2005, 08:02 PM   #14
thegundude
User

That sounds like pretty fair advice to me. I doubt I'll be able to find many rare Lugers, but I can have some nice looking pieces nonetheless....

I'm going to send it to him in a few weeks. I'd like to shoot it a few times first, take some pictures.... spend some quality time before she's gone for the few months it's going to take. I'll worry about cost later I guess....

~Steve